Wisconsin, USA

I have this set up, but they are having a lot of problems with the amplifier.  I had them repaired and they are unfortunately breaking down again.  I might be in the market for a new set of monitors.  I really liked having a subwoofer, but I'm game for any and all suggestions.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/blue-sky-exo-21

UK

Active monitors are usually more reliable. It sucks that there aren't many budget options for subs, I don't have one I just check on my headphones.

Advising on monitors that I haven't tried would be risky, so here's my setup:
For about 4 years (up until a few months ago) I had KRK Rokit 6s, which were great. Punchy and exaggerated the bass a bit but I loved them. They're a great budget option, and very popular.
Now I have ADAM A7X (another home studio cliche) and they are incredible, more expensive but worth it, much more clarity. You get what you pay for with low-mid price range monitors.
I also recently drained the bank with some Avantone Mixcubes which are designed to reference your mix on mid-heavy speakers (if they sound good on those then they should sound good on everything). Obviously I have listed a rather expensive setup, and it's taken me years to get here.
My general advice would be to buy the most popular/renowned speakers you can afford, use them until you have a bigger budget, and then re-sell them (monitors maintain their value very well) and use that to fund the next step up. I found that it helped my ears to develop too - buying a grand worth of monitors doesn't make your music automatically sound good, so the most important thing is taking your time to learn the monitors you do choose smile

Melbourne, Australia

Don't overlook the Yamaha stuff for low-mid end.

I'd also keep in mind the room itself, don't buy speakers that are too big for your space, and that includes subs. Very few rooms/studios are set up for a sub (thanks, longer wave forms).

Music City
fc wrote:

Don't overlook the Yamaha stuff for low-mid end.

I'd also keep in mind the room itself, don't buy speakers that are too big for your space, and that includes subs. Very few rooms/studios are set up for a sub (thanks, longer wave forms).

big fan of the Yamahas. I have HS5's and a small powered subwoofer for my space at current, and it's one of the more pleasant monitoring experiences i've used. I barely notice the speakers ever, they are wonderfully flat and clear. Little lacking in low-end power but thats what the subwoofer is for. smile if you've got a smaller-sized space, its pretty nice.

Last edited by Tri Angles (October 6, 2020 8:42 pm)

Berlin

i worked with my trusty genelecs for almost wo decades, and i recently switched to some new monitors.
and boy, has the game changed in the last years.
i totally recommend the ilouds from IK multimedia.
now i'm finally hearing all the mistakes that i did in the past.

but be aware that it is not fun to listen on these smonitors.
it's like listening through a magnifying glass.
if you want something that also works for recreational listen, you want something else.
the ilouds are a tool, but a great one.

Wisconsin, USA

Update for everyone:

I purchased KRK Rokit 5 G4 speakers and have a backordered KRK 10s subwoofer.

I have the two speakers already and I like them a lot.  They have an EQ so it seems like I could really fine tune them for accuracy against my hearing.  The final verdict will come when the subwoofers arrive!

Yokohama, Japan

Oh nice thread. I was considering upgrading my shitty speakers to something more appropriate for music production. I think I'll follow your lead @orangedrink !

UK

Tell us what your verdict on the sub is when you get it! Sounds like its gonna be a solid setup smile

Yokohama, Japan

The Rokit 5 G4 are awesome. What an upgrade to my home studio this has been been! Thanks @orangedrink for the thread!