Melbourne, Australia
Wisefire wrote:

i always refer back to John Cleese who talked about a similar subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
very entertaining as well.

Gosh damn that's a great video

Also yes, week 3 is a struggle. You've had the crazy awesome, lots of time to prep week 1. The high of week 2. Now it feels like work. You've got to work to bring back the fun. It's hard but you can do it.

I got a good analogy for ya, we recently got a new dog, he's a bull terrier. They're notoriously bull headed, for example, if I'm taking him for a walk and he decides he's not going to go any more, the moment you get frustrated or mad, he'll simply put on the handbrake and you'll never get him to move. However, if you get out a ball or a squeak toy, you can trick him into playing and he'll suddenly realise that walks are fun.

My creativity is so much like that. The moment I'm feeling shit or frustrated now, I just close the laptop and move on. I can never say "OK Monday night is my song writing night", because what happens is I sit down on a Monday night, tired and I crack the shits and then my week consists of me thinking I can't write music any more.

Weekly Beats is teaching me to open my laptop whenever I can, but the moment it stops being fun, I close it and move on. Go play a game, do a chore, walk the dog, anything. But I know I can come back to it and later, my mood will have changed.

Weekly Beats teaches me that I can't NOT be creative. But I have to put in the effort to prove this to myself.

Last edited by Jamatar (January 20, 2020 6:23 am)

Chicago, IL
Wisefire wrote:

i always refer back to John Cleese who talked about a similar subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
very entertaining as well.

thanks for linking this video, John Cleese is a legend.

I love how one of his opening lines is "I can state categorically that what I have to tell you tonight about how you can all become more creative is a complete waste of time."

Glad this post exists smile I missed week 3 and was really bummed about it.

South Bend, Indiana
唱白 wrote:

Glad this post exists smile I missed week 3 and was really bummed about it.

Same but it helps me to think of this as less of a challenge and more of an excercise. I got mad stressed during 2018 trying to hit all the deadlines and just burned myself out. I'm at the very least starting and making progress on a new song each week, but if I can't finish then I can't finish.

Berlin

can we have a graph like last time? :-D

Im going to admit I dont really have anything yet this week! I dont want to waste peoples playtime but I dont know what I can make on short time like hours. Hopefully something okay.

Melbourne, Australia
ngineer wrote:

Im going to admit I dont really have anything yet this week! I dont want to waste peoples playtime but I dont know what I can make on short time like hours. Hopefully something okay.

Just waste our play time. This is a personal challenge, after all.

Wisconsin, USA
ngineer wrote:

WASTE MY TIME!  ....if it sucks I just click forward anyway smile

australia

yeh smile

Melbourne, Australia

Week 7 motivation slump amirite?

God this was a struggle.

Coastal Australia
fc wrote:

God this was a struggle.

Just don't look at how many weeks you've got to go.  Haha.

Melbourne, Australia
rdomain wrote:
fc wrote:

God this was a struggle.

Just don't look at how many weeks you've got to go.  Haha.

That's not so bad - it's the life/work thang, y'know?

Wisconsin, USA

This is my third year doing WB and I just realized I'm in the YEAR 3 MOTIVATION SLUMP

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MJP

alright week 10
I've kinda got something mostly recorded already
and partially I feel like I'm not prepared to record the kind of vocals this track wants so that's kinda holding me back
but I feel like, I've got a lot of creative energy, I just want to put it into playing with other people
I did daily songs for three months last year, so now I've written over a hundred songs in just over a year
so I dunno, I want to be the kind of person who sees through the things they commit to but ghhhghghh

edit: ok fine I recorded vocals

Last edited by kineticturtle (March 6, 2020 6:42 pm)

Montreal

I do not always want to go "work" on stuff, but when I get into it it is almost always fun. Plus I am lucky to rehearse with a band to and do some collaborations for the weekly beats, and this year is a decent one so far with the band as well. We are able to record some tracks almost every week so far (by track I am speaking of only overdubs and stuff, we never track a complete song in our 2-3 hrs sessions... but recordings go forward so it is good for motivation) and we have a small show planned on April 9th. So we will try to play loud rock in front of some people.