Melbourne, Australia

So far I haven't dropped out, so I'm doing good on that front. If I'm honest, making some stuff has become a bit of a "thing to look forward to" toward the latter end of the week.

Montreal

I am really happy of my 2 firsts releases, not that much of my 3rd one and ok happy with week 4. It is difficult for me to lock enough time to "polish" my tracks, so it is raw. Good news is that I am more into Rock, so dirty, raw rock works fine smile . I'll try to release a couple more complex composition during the year, but the goal is to release stuff, not to release amazing stuff. If I do, I'll be blessed.

I feel that I am slowing down (harder to put as much time to compose/arrange stuff), but I do have some unreleased materials that I did created during the first month so I am confident I can release 3-4 more weeks without starting to compose really shitty stuff...

Super happy I started the projet, confident I'll be able to release 52 "something". I actually have fun going in my garage on the evening and do 1-2-3 hours of trying to compose/record stuff.

melb.aust
fc wrote:

So far I haven't dropped out, so I'm doing good on that front. If I'm honest, making some stuff has become a bit of a "thing to look forward to" toward the latter end of the week.

nice one, that's how music should feel. I've been the same, I haven't really made ambient for years so it's been almost a guilty pleasure to just enjoy making sound without forcing an agenda. It's helped remind me why i started doing this in the first place.

Melbourne, Australia
lysdexic wrote:
fc wrote:

nice one, that's how music should feel. I've been the same, I haven't really made ambient for years so it's been almost a guilty pleasure to just enjoy making sound without forcing an agenda. It's helped remind me why i started doing this in the first place.

Indeed it is how music should feel, but I don’t think it’s how everything else should feel.

I totally echo the sentiment of making ‘ambient’ as well. For me it takes me back to a long time ago when I used an electric bass and way too many pedals to create ‘soundscapes’ in an improvisatory way. Connecting past Vince with present Vince via the middle.

Melbourne, Australia

Primary Intention still OK)
- I am finding even just forcing around 1 hr at BARE MINIMUM to a track is viable in a pinch which usually is a hardware jam or opening up Reaktor (shortcuts))
- It's exercise and keeps me thinking about production. - Can be fun, can be boring, can go either way. - But it's still exercise.

-- (4+hours is my preferred for a more polished tune, and then it also allows me to tick a few more of those intention boxes too if i'm lucky to have the available mental bandwidth and creativity levels and the time-frame to pull that off
<- I feel like that exhaustion level gets reset each week after uploading, and listening to some new tracks too also helps reinvigorate the drive)

**Please keep tagging your music everyone, sometimes I need a good dose of 'drone' 'ambient' to help me think and work & focus during the week.
Especially you MAXMSP/modular nerds, your my favorites right now - I don't understand your black art, but i appreciate it!**

So 2020 Intentions I've actually kept, -- My project folder collection quality control has already improved - (i'm overdue to sync it with my NAS actually rather than my unsorted desktop folder)
but i'm not really reaching my other intentions as often as I would like so far (ie, a video, some source files released, etc)

So long as intention to create music is met, I'm real glad.

I've learned to treat each week as exercise (audio-gym), which often turns into surprising fun, and may snowball into filling back up my other intentions when all these time/space/mental/creativity drive factors align up..

Melbourne, Australia
Aday wrote:

**Please keep tagging your music everyone, sometimes I need a good dose of 'drone' 'ambient' to help me think and work & focus during the week.
Especially you MAXMSP/modular nerds, your my favorites right now - I don't understand your black art, but i appreciate it!**

I didn't tag it, but I hope the blanket brings you joy.

St Louis

i hope to start uploading higher quality material than i've been doing so far lol. my year is off to an insane start with life.

Edmond, Oklahoma

My intentions and the reality of doing are very different. I've been trying a different DAW and it's good everyday except one. It does want to record live. It's Reaper. All the other DAW's I have that actually work with Mac Catalina, have no problem working with my old tried and true TASCAM US-4X4. Reaper works great with my midi stuff but plug a microphone or guitar in and it has no idea what to do. Anybody have any suggestions?

I... uh... didn't have an intention when starting weeklybeats. Over the last few weeks I've found it very positive to see this challenge as a weekly exercise - like going to the gym. And for every song, there's usually one technique, or module, that I focused on.

So that's gonna be my intention: To exercise one technique every week in a song smile

South Bend, Indiana

Better than I thought it would, tbh. Allowing myself the freedom to go down paths I wouldn't normally take (at least, not with ecso as a project) has been working really well. Week Six took a hard turn into weird dark territory, but I'm happy with the result and now I have a whole new interesting workflow. All because I didn't tell myself "no."

Last edited by ecso (February 11, 2020 12:20 pm)

Wisconsin, USA

My last two tracks were finished on Friday and I got to enjoy a panic-free weekend, so that was awesome.  Hope to continue that trend.

orangedrink wrote:

My last two tracks were finished on Friday and I got to enjoy a panic-free weekend, so that was awesome.  Hope to continue that trend.

This is something I'm going to aspire to as well hopefully. Panicking and rushing last minute is not fun!

St Louis

now i've already forgotten to upload tracks 2 different weeks. shit haha. life is too hectic right now. but hopefully i will get back on track asap.

MJP

Uploaded song 7 today. I work weekends and take my kids out to Pokemon TCG tournaments after so I can't let myself get stuck in the Sunday rush to upload by 5pm local time, won't happen. Two things have helped me keep up:

1. I've been diligent about doing a little bit every day
2. Some of my songs are re-works of songs I wrote while doing daily songs last year so I have a starting point, which is often the biggest hurdle (blank canvas effect)

already derailed!

I intended to work on putting more full audio stuff with singing together but I ended up making a pico-8 game so all the tunes I've uploaded for the last month have been related to that instead. Might get back to the initial idea in March? or make up another reason not to? giggle

netherlands

honestly it's been going way better than expected!! i've already done better than previous years. i didnt really expect florelle to work as well as it does, even when one of us 3 doesnt have enough time to work on a song we can fill in for each other and its been a lot of fun to collaborate on songs regularly. i do keep wanting to put songs in a box so im juggling multiple EPs and albums in my head already haha