Warshington
Aday wrote:

Mine I think so far is I aim to release more source files...

...this will help me to get into the practice of keeping my workflows and File/Folder structures more uhh STRUCTURED!

I really like this idea, not just as a way of getting in the practice of better organizing, but I just like the idea of showing and sharing work for others to recycle.

Montreal

I did 18 weeks in 2018, this time I want to do more.
But my problem as doing only one style with one specific vst, at some point the inspiration wasn't there anymore.

Now I'm full of VSts ... and ideas

Melbourne, Australia

I'm trepidatious about doing this at all, but we'll see. It would be good to finish.

1. Hardware.
2. Live Coding
3. Weird programming shit I dunno.

Reality:

1. Bang out some shit in Ableton close to the deadline.

Melbourne, Australia

I guess also probably actually listen to people's submissions. But I don't like my chances.

Tasmania

Finish a one-man-metal-EP that I started early 2019 (I'll probably release the tunes as a WeeklyBeat each week that I "finish" one, hoping the project gives me the push to finalise these tracks and release them unto the world. It's kind of a follow up to CyberFunk Radio!)

Make some beats for my Twitch channel as an excuse to experiment, also release some YouTube videos mainly video game related and music project file deep diving etc, I also plan to stream my WeeklyBeat sessions on Twitch whenever possible! https://twitch.tv/tweaklab

Get better at live instruments! Slap the bass. I finally bought myself a bass. Epic. And, replaced the 8-string with a 7-string so I'll be playing a lot of metal riffage again.

I'd love to collaborate more this year, but work and kids will be a challenge to get all of these things done... which is why I love WeeklyBeats so much, it seems to just happen anyway wink

Last edited by Tweaklab (January 1, 2020 12:45 am)

London
fc wrote:

I'm trepidatious about doing this at all, but we'll see. It would be good to finish.

1. Hardware.
2. Live Coding
3. Weird programming shit I dunno.

Reality:

1. Bang out some shit in Ableton close to the deadline.

= TRUTH :-D

Finland

Damn! I missed that WB started 29th and now i have only 4 days for the first track.

2020 is 20’s so we should do Jazz and Swing smile

South Bend, Indiana

My goal is simply to last longer than I did in WB2018 but, more importantly, not get so damn stressed about hitting the deadlines.

Melbourne, Australia

Hmm, I think my goal is to rid myself of this self-imposed notion that every song idea is precious, and a potential amazing life-altering song in hiding (I just have to "perfect it").

I want to try making lots of shit songs (and some good ones) rather than a very small amount of good ones. I want to practice being kind to myself when I struggle and fail at this, also.

Best of luck, everyone!

Actually complete all 52 weeks. Obsess less about individual tracks, achieve quality through quantity. Streamline my workflow and get a better understanding of my gear.

Tasmania
Calavera wrote:

Hmm, I think my goal is to rid myself of this self-imposed notion that every song idea is precious, and a potential amazing life-altering song in hiding (I just have to "perfect it").

I want to try making lots of shit songs (and some good ones) rather than a very small amount of good ones. I want to practice being kind to myself when I struggle and fail at this, also.

Best of luck, everyone!

Yeah. This is exactly what I love about WeeklyBeats. Prior to 2012 I would NEVER "finish" a song, after making beats for almost a decade by that time. Since WB2012 I've made hmm, 250 tunes or so and consider 95% of them "finished" as what they are, where there's always been a few key tracks from each round of WeeklyBeats that I bookmark to come back and make a more fresh version with more time and skill gained etc. On the flip side, WB is a great excuse to grab one of those project files that has been haunting you for years in the "never good enough" stash and to just go right. This week I'm going to make a "VERSION" of the track I'm happy with and upload it. That's worked well for me in the past as well!

Warshington
Calavera wrote:

I really appreciate this thought. This is definitely something I struggle with.

AU

Monthlybeats for me!   If I average 1 a month by end of year that's juuuust fine.  I did the whole challenge in 2012... it nearly killed me (lol).  Things to do:

- More OPL3 (and playing on hardware - just got a PCI SB16 for old computer again!)
- Make use of Dave Smith synth I bought last year and have only turned on about 3 times (too busy)
- More guitar looping jams
- Some more vocal stuff (maybe, it's a bit time consuming)

Honestly, I've got so many projects on backburner atm I'm not sure I'm gonner have time to even monthly beat.  But will try.  Good luck all!  Remember - it's about having fun and we're all on board to support and appreciate whatever you come up with... even in those "uninspired weeks".  xo

Finland

January:
303+808+909=2020
February:
Old upright piano
March:
Psytrance

UK

I'm not going to be too restrictive and set myself harsh goals for the year, but I'd like to do more .mod/.it/.xm tracker tunes, use Ableton Live a bit more, er, live, and not get too bothered about feeling I'm making the same old stuff. That 'same old stuff' is my sound, I should cherish it. Having said all that, you know it'll be Renoise Renoise Renoise.

Newcastle Australia

I have three goals-

1) Find a DAW that suits my workflow. I'm currently using Reaper, and whilst it's been a good introduction to the world of production, I find it rather awkward to use (especially coming from a composing/scoring background)

2) Learn how to make lofi hip hop. I only ever produce music using what I can play live. I have a good understanding of jazz, and I feel like lofi hip hop is a nice chilled way to experiment with the craft of midi/effects.

3) Get involved with this community - so listening to/commenting on other peoples tracks. I excel at lurking in online spaces, and I'd like to change that!