Hi,

So, I already read the FAQ and saw the only upload format allowed is MP3.  The issue is, I produce on an iPad. Apple doesn’t seem to like the MP3 format, and so the lossy format of choice for audio rendering seems to be the AAC .m4a format.  Is there any way support for this format can be added?  If not, can you recommend an app that can export in mp3, not just in m4a?  Thank you.

Disregard this post.

Last edited by Brackleforth (December 26, 2017 4:35 am)

Brackleforth wrote:

Disregard this post.

Do you mean your post or mine?

Mine, sorry for any confusion.

Brackleforth wrote:

Mine, sorry for any confusion.

Not a problem mate. smile So, what type of production environment do you use?

Well, uh, I use freeware for Windows. I use Anvil Studio to write MIDIs, and then SynthFont to export a .wav. In my case, I can convert .wav to .mp3 with Audacity and the LAME MP3 encoder.

As for an app that runs on iPad, someone who is more familiar with the platform should be able to help.

Again, sorry for wasting your time - I replied too fast without fully reading your post.

It’s no waste of time to me.  I’m rather enjoying this conversation.  You have a cool production environment.  I can’t remember the last time I cracked open Anvil, but I remember liking it.  Whenever I want to use my soundfonts, I usually use Caustic 3 on iOS.  Their PCM synth is invaluable.  Then I bounce the stems and mix down in Auria.  My usual production environment depends on my mood.  Sometimes it’s 100% in Gadget.  Sometimes it’s the midi out of Cubasis or Xequence hooked up to Sampletank, Roland Sound Canvas and other audio sources and mixed down in AUM.  The final mixdowns, no matter how I achieve them, all then get imported into Auria for mastering with the Fabfilter plugins.

So, I went to the AudioBus forum thread which mentioned this weekly challenge site here, asked them what I should do, and thankfully I found the solution there.  It’s Twisted Wave Editor.  I bought that in early 2016 and disregarded it since it lacked a proper background noise removal feature (at least back then) and has an ugly GUI (think pre-iOS 7 skeuomorphic vomit). Hokusai, the editor of choice, has that noise removal feature and a lovely GUI, but boy was I irate yesterday when I saw it only output .wav and .m4a only.  (I usually output in lossless formats, hence why I didn’t notice it this whole while, lol.)  Any audio editor worth its salt should output .wav, .m4a (both lossy and lossless), and yes, mp3! (TW also outputs .aiff, .flac, and .caf.  No .ogg support unfortunately.)

The issue is at this time we cannot do conversion on the server. I recommend getting an app that can convert a lossless format to mp3. Maybe something like this?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/audio-c … 43660?mt=8

Trash80 wrote:

The issue is at this time we cannot do conversion on the server. I recommend getting an app that can convert a lossless format to mp3. Maybe something like this?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/audio-c … 43660?mt=8

Nevermind. I just added m4a support since it seems that everyone supports it I think, hopefully.

Trash80 wrote:
Trash80 wrote:

The issue is at this time we cannot do conversion on the server. I recommend getting an app that can convert a lossless format to mp3. Maybe something like this?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/audio-c … 43660?mt=8

Nevermind. I just added m4a support since it seems that everyone supports it I think, hopefully.

Thanks mate. smile It means a lot.

The m4a format is basically the mp4 format, minus the video aspects.  In 2006, m4a had extremely limited capability with anything that wasn’t iTunes or an iPod/Mac.  The mp3 was king.  11 years later, the m4a format has far, FAR greater compatibility.  It’s also the superior lossy compression format.  An m4a file at 256kbps will sound EXACTLY like an MP3 at 320kbps.  This means we can upload a 320kbps m4a and have far superior sound quality to the 320kbps mp3, or we can upload a longer piece at 256kbps m4a while still remaining within that 16mb filesize limit.

jwmmakerofmusic wrote:
Trash80 wrote:

Nevermind. I just added m4a support since it seems that everyone supports it I think, hopefully.

Thanks mate. smile It means a lot.

The m4a format is basically the mp4 format, minus the video aspects.  In 2006, m4a had extremely limited capability with anything that wasn’t iTunes or an iPod/Mac.  The mp3 was king.  11 years later, the m4a format has far, FAR greater compatibility.  It’s also the superior lossy compression format.  An m4a file at 256kbps will sound EXACTLY like an MP3 at 320kbps.  This means we can upload a 320kbps m4a and have far superior sound quality to the 320kbps mp3, or we can upload a longer piece at 256kbps m4a while still remaining within that 16mb filesize limit.

And today I learned some new stuff. Thank you for breaking that down!

My tune played fine on my computer but will not play on the site here and it is an m4a format. Is there any way I can reload it as a mp3 for week 1?

OleJazzer wrote:

My tune played fine on my computer but will not play on the site here and it is an m4a format. Is there any way I can reload it as a mp3 for week 1?

You’ll have to completely delete your posting and then we can give you an upload link for a late submission

Phil Harmonic wrote:
OleJazzer wrote:

My tune played fine on my computer but will not play on the site here and it is an m4a format. Is there any way I can reload it as a mp3 for week 1?

You’ll have to completely delete your posting and then we can give you an upload link for a late submission

I have done so. I will check back in the morning to upload a new file for my tune. Thanks.

OleJazzer wrote:
Phil Harmonic wrote:

You’ll have to completely delete your posting and then we can give you an upload link for a late submission

I have done so. I will check back in the morning to upload a new file for my tune. Thanks.


I am ready for you to send me an upload link. Where do you plan to send it?

OleJazzer wrote:
OleJazzer wrote:

I have done so. I will check back in the morning to upload a new file for my tune. Thanks.


I am ready for you to send me an upload link. Where do you plan to send it?

Here! https://weeklybeats.com/music/upload?ha … 28923912e4