New Orleans, LA

When I was more active on the forums back in 2014, we used to take suggestions for weekly themes. It was a really fun way to build the community, and also gave people a bit of a prompt to break out of writer's block if needed. Clearly the themes are completely voluntary. Anyway, Who wants to do that again?

How it Works:

Each week I will make a theme thread, where you can post suggestions for the next week's theme.

If you like someone else's suggestion, just repeat it with a +1.

You can make multiple suggestions per week, but remember, there are 52 weeks in a year.

Whichever suggestion gets the most +1's will be the theme for the next week.

The next week's thread will include a list of the Top 5 runners-up from the previous week. Votes from the previous week will count towards that week's voting. If your theme doesn't get picked, it could easily get there the next week!

The theme is completely open to interpretation by the musician, but it would be cool if you shared that interpretation in the description of your song.

Please post a link to your song in the theme thread for that week once uploads go live so other themers can see what you've done.

Feel free to ask questions at any point.

Last edited by Gnarlysunshine (January 14, 2018 6:47 pm)

New Orleans, LA

To start this off, I'd like to suggest "New Year, New Beat"

Indiana
Gnarlysunshine wrote:

To start this off, I'd like to suggest "New Year, New Beat"

ha!  i called my song for this week "a new vibration"  i think it works!

The Netherlands

Great idea! We're already suggesting for week 2?

Edit: of course we are, it's in the thread name. Because it's week two, I suggest: "Double time, Half time"

Last edited by antler (January 5, 2018 10:31 am)

Amsterdam

i saw a LPT on a music subreddit about practicing every key for a month in a year. but how about producing a whole song in a specific key to get a feel for that key. So my suggestion for a theme is "A" big_smile

New Orleans, LA
antler wrote:

Great idea! We're already suggesting for week 2?

Edit: of course we are, it's in the thread name. Because it's week two, I suggest: "Double time, Half time"

Unfortunately I forgot to start this up for Week 1.

Wisefire wrote:

i saw a LPT on a music subreddit about practicing every key for a month in a year. but how about producing a whole song in a specific key to get a feel for that key. So my suggestion for a theme is "A" big_smile

"Modes" would be a pretty fun theme too.

Amsterdam
Gnarlysunshine wrote:

"Modes" would be a pretty fun theme too.

Yeah, absolutely! GIT YO' MIXOLYDIAN ONNN!!! big_smile

Italy, Pisa

Let's decide a theme decision deadline as well, so one knows when to start smile

Amsterdam

i'm assuming it's the same deadline as the main deadline.

New Zealand

Shall "Modes" be the theme for week 2 then?

New Orleans, LA
I_See_Drones wrote:

Let's decide a theme decision deadline as well, so one knows when to start smile

The theme for the week will be decided and announced when uploads go live from the previous week.

aliceffekt wrote:

Shall "Modes" be the theme for week 2 then?

Voting is not officially finished yet. Let's see what everyone else says!

Amsterdam

The A theme Wisefire suggested has my vote smile

Gosford, Australia

+1 for A - sounds good!

Chicago, Il

+1 for A

New Orleans, LA

Looks like "A" will be our theme for Week 3. I'll make the official post when I get home from work. Thanks Wisefire!

Amsterdam

a late reply (working feverishly to make a track featuring A) . but awesome stuff, honoured to be the top suggestion for week one!