under a rock

All that being said, don't leave your instrument at school. Now I can't record anything! sad

Melbourne, Aus

+1 to just making something. It gets easier every week and even in a bad headspace/uncreative mood one of the best things for me was to persevere and create something.

Last edited by Lyons (January 11, 2016 3:28 am)

Melbourne, Australia

Protip: Open your project file on your laptop/desktop ALL THE TIME, Leave it open... ALL..THE..TIME...even when not directly working on it.

Helps when you end up playing your song file throughout the week whist at work or something in the background etc..
keep chipping away
(pls add your protip)

Last edited by Aday (March 24, 2016 8:16 am)

L003, C0rnw4//.

going deep into the woods and sacrificing old floppy disk drives to my dark lord & master works for me.

Coastal Australia

Simply create all the time.  Well at the least, every chance you get.  That way, WB isn't too bad to stay on top of and gives you a nice platform to release tracks on that would potentially never be heard.

Coastal Australia
idevourstatic wrote:

going deep into the woods and sacrificing old floppy disk drives to my dark lord & master works for me.

That too.

London

Lots of great advice above. Mine would be that momentum is greater than quality. You will have a week (I've had many) where you've no time and what you hate the track you're doing. Finish it and get it out and move on, to quote Ian Curtis "You have to finish every song, because there's always someone who loves it". Also you will learn what your go to technique is to get it done. Once you know you can always finish it, then your taste will constantly force you to improve. It won't be each week, but keep going and you'll get there. Also the community here is amazing, supportive, understanding and constructive.

On a practical note, I have a standard arrangement mapped out in a midi channel on my DAW and another with standard transitions. Then get an 8 bar loop, get a variation, bingo verse & chorus. Then strip back to drums and an element for intro and outro. Lay it out, and do some effects automation, render and master on Landr. On my bad weeks this has got me through.

AU
radio:NOISE wrote:

suck it up, and release -something-, even if it's just some random junk you put together in an hour. No-one on the site will judge you for it

That's the part I struggle with.  I always want to make something that is good quality (to my ears) and I know while I'm writing that I could make something better if I just spent more time on it.  But health management is pretty important if you plan on getting up the next day without being totally destroyed!  In Australia the due time is 10am Monday Morning... which means you have all night Sunday if you let yourself slip.  I've had nights where I've just pushed on though and gone straight to meetings on Monday morning (still riding the wave), then sat down at a cafe afterwards and had the staff wake me up half an hour later because I've fallen asleep!!

I've found I have to make the cut off for delivery 1 or 2 am Monday morning!  And stick to it.  I'm struggling to do that... "oh, just another half an hour"... but yeah, there's a point where you just have to release -something- !  And knowing everyone is in the same boat helps.