SF Bay Area

Depending on the type of music I'm making, I'll employ various tools. For WeeklyBeats (and other electronic oriented productions), my usual/preferred starting point is the Matrix device in Reason since you can take a simple idea/pattern and mold it like clay. From there, I'll use that content to generate the other instrument layers and create a framework for the piece. If things are pleasing to my ear, I'll start getting inspiration for other elements, like melody, bass, form, and/or narrative.     

Compositional process inspiration comes from the pattern use and manipulation in the music of Ligeti, Reich, Riley, Lang, and Gordon. Vibe and Atmosphere inspiration comes from artists like Prefuse 73, Boards of Canada, Amon Tobin, Air, Trent Reznor, and Battles. These all slip into my mind in various ways.   

From there, it becomes a stew in my mind that I'm still trying to figure out.

Melbourne, Australia
r2me2 wrote:

my usual/preferred starting point is the Matrix device in Reason since you can take a simple idea/pattern and mold it like clay.

Amazingly, I've started two tracks exactly the same way (week5 and week1), the Matrix device in Reason is amazing.
Reason in general is such a power house to get an idea flowing quickly smile

Brasilia, Brazil

Doing all 2016 songs as Sonic Pi Ruby code.

Pittsburgh, PA

This week, I've taken a challenge from a friend to build a piece using a single kind of sound source.  I'm not entirely decided on whether I want to narrow that down to a single sample or leave it at the current several-instances-of-one-kind-of-sample status.

Pittsburgh, PA

Mission accomplished: Week 6 will feature only one kind of sound sample.  (Though it's several different instances of the same kind of sound.)

Finland

My current process:
Get into the studio few hours before the DL and try come up with something. Also use new tool every week.

I think next step for me is to bring other musicians in at least once in a month.

It would also be fun to try to collaborate with some other WB members.

Last edited by BOULDER D4SH (February 15, 2016 9:24 am)