St Louis

this is not a question related to submitting to WB, first off. I used midi files and vsti's to create a 25 song album for my brother as a holiday present, and it turned out far better than I'd imagined it would.

I'd like to share this with more people, but am worried of legal issues or something if I upload to bandcamp. the instrumentation and mixing is all my own, but the compositions are of course someone elses.

any ideas on how to share this album, Sitari - 'Games'? I am tempted just to upload it to bandcamp, but I probably shouldn't. what other means of sharing would there be, or should I limit it to only cdr?

Sydney

You won't be infringing the copyright in the recording (P in a Circle) but you are infringing the copyright in the composition, which you seem to understand (C in a circle ©).

Its up to you, if its free and it doesn't go viral, you are probably not going to get sued for it, They original owner may ask you to take them down if he finds them offensive or discrediting to his original work. I would recommend submitting an inquiry to the publishers of the developers of the game, explain that its gunna be free.

(Disclaimer: I am not offering legal advice, I will not accept any responsibilities for anything that will happen to you for infringing these copyrights.)

St Louis

got it, thanks

Melbourne, Australia

Yeah. It's not illegal, it's illegal to do without permission. (At least in Aus - USA is probably the same).
Get permission, credit where it's due and correct royalty split via the royalty collecting agencies should probably do it.

Melbourne, Australia

Edit
*nevermind*

Last edited by Aday (February 1, 2014 2:46 am)