Orlando, FL

Hiya, I was wondering if there is a way to take a group of MP3s and make their volumes match. Maybe with Audacity?

I was going to make a collection of my better entries for the first half of the year.

Utah

mp3gain is great for this.

The future

find the average (Db RMS) level of each track.. find the loudest one and subtract that value from the value of each track and apply that many Db of attenuation with your limiter of choice. This will ensure that all tracks are at around the same average level. you can go the other direction too, but obviously you will not be maximizing loudness.

The future

oh.. also. remember, loudness is measured in negative numbers.. so -12Db is louder than -16Db.
If you are using soundforge or wavelab.. you can get statistics about the currently loaded track. One of the statistics will be the average level.

The future

what i just described is exactly what something like mp3gain would be doing. I have never used it so I cant speak for the quality of its peak limiter. Something like Waves L3, L2, or PSP Elephant will do quite nicely.

Kristiansand, Norway
Brackleforth wrote:

Maybe with Audacity?

Well if audacity has any type of compressors that would be very useful.

Check some compressor-tutorials if you don't know how to use one, and balance the volume by ear. That's at least the best method if you don't want the audio to clip 'nor the global volume to be too low.

Orlando, FL

Thanks for the information guys smile

I'll take a look at MP3gain