Does that go under fair usage? Just curious to know, i can probably name a whole load of bands that has movie samples in their music (who are certainly not wealthy enough to get copyright licenses and still sell their music-Graf Orlock for example) and if i'm not mistaken the rules are a little different to musical sampling. Can anyone clarify?

The reason i ask anyways is because i want to chuck a song up on my own compilation with voice and tv samples, it will be for free of course so i'm not profiting , technically I composed it at TAFE so maybe it can go under educational usage.Not to mention i'm too much under the radar for the big bad lawyers to come get me, but i figured i should ask around for the facts at least. Im still going to chuck the song up because its, in my humble opinion, so freaking epic. This song even has samples of other samples from other albums (yo dawg...)

St Louis

they said not to use ANY samples at all (unless they are explicitly stated to have free usage), so it'd get taken down I think.

Melbourne, Australia

Yeah it's a site policy rather than a technical legality.

adelaide

No.

You can upload a version without the sample(s) in question, and then in the description just link to a version that has the samples in it.

I'm actually not uploading on Weeklybeats itself (i made the song in question last year), it was more of a general question.  I'm putting the song up on Bandcamp as a bonus song.

But hey thanks anyways y'all.

St Louis

what I learned in sound class in 1999 was that if it was a snippet under something like 5 seconds, it was legal; or, if you alter the original sample enough so that it is unrecognizable, also perfectly legal. I'm not sure if laws have changed since then or not.

We'll just to be safe I've put it in as a bonus song so it doesn't actually appear on the streaming site, which sucks because then ppl would have to DL the album first to hear it IF they don't already have the Weeklybeats songs (which i doubt) but yeah.

http://seagullchainsaw.bandcamp.com/ the song is called Steve Sax And His Run In With The Law and I collaborated with Orinoco on this one. Check it out if you are all intrested.

Kristiansand, Norway

Man, weeklybeats sure is strict

Kubbi wrote:

Man, weeklybeats sure is strict

It's a lot easier to be strict and put a blanket rule in place than have to debate over the legalities of every possible variation (when we don't have the legal background to do this properly).
We don't say don't link to it in the forums or promote in on the site, but you can't host it through Weeklybeats.