spry wrote:

this is true but it is also obvious. once we have accepted that, the question then becomes, could the site be better at networking and exposure?  i think the answer is yes.  do we want to brainstorm and possibly do anything to improve it?  again, i think yes.

To be honest, I would say probably no. I don't think the site was ever intended as a promotional tool. More a creative one.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Lazerbeat wrote:
spry wrote:

this is true but it is also obvious. once we have accepted that, the question then becomes, could the site be better at networking and exposure?  i think the answer is yes.  do we want to brainstorm and possibly do anything to improve it?  again, i think yes.

To be honest, I would say probably no. I don't think the site was ever intended as a promotional tool. More a creative one.

i dont think that networking with other musicians has any negative impact on the creativity of the site whatsoever.  in fact, i would say it has a synergistic effect if anything.  i agree that the primary purpose of this site has been and should continue to be to encourage and support the creation of independent music at the individual level.  my point is that it doesnt have to be limited by that frame of mind.  im not suggesting anything about promotion (i dont want promotion to be a big part of this site either), just that the methods of interpersonal interaction on this website could be improved and that i think it is in everyones best interest to be able to talk to and learn from the other musicians on this site in an efficient and relevant way.  when your songs arent being listened to by anyone and no one talks to you, this is not accomplished and it ends up turning into a popularity contest anyway, regardless of initial intent.  there are easy solutions to alleviate this that do not detract from the primary function of this website, and i think it would be wise to pursue them.

St Louis

spry, i'm on fb a lot, just look up my name on there if you want to have a easy way to communicate. this goes for everyone, really. I need more music nerds, geeks, freaks, and aliens for friends.

spry wrote:
Lazerbeat wrote:

i dont think that networking with other musicians has any negative impact on the creativity of the site whatsoever.

Sorry, I got completely the wrong end of the stick with what you were saying, I thought you meant the admins should build more social networking and promotion into the site. Artists collaborating to promote themselves and their work is a totally good idea. I like the idea of the underrated tracks thread or perhaps someone could curate a monthly "best of WB : January" etc, release and put it on bandcamp or something.

phesago wrote:

I didnt really read the thread, but I assume it seems to be based on completely missing the point, the starting point anyway. I do not want to sound harsh, but I thought this was supposed to be about YOU, and what YOU can do with the allocated time each week. I joined to see if the challenge will help me become a better musician, not necessarily about sharing with other people, and def not caring if anyone likes the crap I have been putting up here so far.

I apologize if my comments seem harsh, because they are not intended to be, but at the same time I think it's essential to be honest.

Your comments don't seem harsh, just like you didn't really read the thread. wink

My point is that this site could become far more than something that is about how x number of musicians handle their weekly time limit. I put it out there as I think discussion around the community aspect of the site could lead to something more interesting... I think this site has far more potential to just be about me, or you, or anyone of us. It's interesting, to me at least, to feel around and discuss what that is.

St Louis

as far as the idea that having a lot of comments means anything... that seems pretty random.

Tacoma WA

all my comments have come from my mom*

*lies

chicago-/-il-/-us

your mom leaves me comments, chris smile
no, not really

chicago-/-il-/-us

sample fake comment
"tell my son to get a damn haircut" - on one of my track on 8bc, circa 2007

Adelaide, Australia

I wish my mum would comment on my music. :<
Other than 'WHAT IS THIS NEW-AGE MALARKY? BACK IN THE EIGHTEEN HUNDREDS WE HAD TO WALK TWENTY KILOMETRES BAREFOOT OVER BROKEN GLASS TO HEAR MUSIC'

Last edited by Judgement Act (January 27, 2012 5:11 am)

george bowles wrote:

as far as the idea that having a lot of comments means anything... that seems pretty random.

Yeah, I think I was off the mark in thinking comments was proportional to listens- I didn't take into account the RSS/downloadable stuff, or that folk would be next to their computer whilst listening in order to comment. I should have probably called this thread participation, since that's really what the thread is about.

Some good chat about that aspect here and how to further the community aspect could be taken though- I like the idea of a monthly compilation, maybe AndrewKilpatrick would be a good starting point for that, given he has been blogging the first few weeks?

My mum heard my music once, she said it sounded like the CD was broken... that was the percussion.

Melbourne, Australia

Compilations are a cool idea. Start a small netlabel for it or something. I'm going to release collections of my weekly beats anyway, in the future.