If you don't mind me asking, where do you start when it comes to using sound cards from various classic gaming consoles and such to create music and put it through a midi interface?

Any books or workshops or even computer technician courses, anywhere that I can start from. So far my skills are pretty low besides basic soldering and i just started circuit bending some toys and i would like to venture more into it.

I've found a book called Homemade Electronic Music that i should get as well as some synth cartridges for the consoles i do have like the LSDJ, Cynthcart and Nanoloop.

Any help would be great, forgive my n00bness, there isn't much or really any chip tune scene in Sydney, theres plenty in Melbourne though.

Helsinki, Finland

Check LSDJ on emulator or something and if you like it, order one bleepbloop cart with LSDJ on it. No point to start solder stuff as first thing. Also circuit bent toys are kinda crappy, unless you're into making avantgarde or just sample them.

BTW, usually people refer to soundchips, not soundcards:)

This might be worth a read how you can make chipmusic. Also there are a couple of beginner chipmusic workshops happening at Blip Australia next month.

Sydney, Australia
Seagull Chainsaw wrote:

there isn't much or really any chip tune scene in Sydney.

No, not really. It's  pretty quiet here.

Sydney, Australia

TL;DR - Sydney won.

AU

As Lazerdad days... def come down to Blip and check out the workshops.  LSDJ is surprisingly cool once you spend a few days with it!  It's great to have a standalone pocket-fitting sequencer as well - you can take it anywhere and there is no need for any MIDI controlling or complex hook ups :-)

And don't worry about Sydney not having a scene... (hehehehehe ... just had to stop typing here to check if God In Pants had responded!!!)  Come hang at Blip and you'll get to meet lots of Melb and Syd crew alike.  The Sydney guys are really great fun - despite their apparent 'tude in posting flyers for Melbourne shows they've played at.  They sometimes play in Sydney too....

ps. Homemade Electronic Music looks good but it's pretty expensive.  There are lots of sites out there with good introductions to simple oscillators, etc.  Check out some of the simple synth kits as well!

Last edited by cTrix (January 9, 2012 10:44 am)

godinpants wrote:
Seagull Chainsaw wrote:

there isn't much or really any chip tune scene in Sydney.

No, not really. It's  pretty quiet here.

I stand corrected smile

Yeah i'm considering going to the Blip Festival, saving some money for accommodation,tickets and such. Looks real good. I'm going to get LSDJ aswell, good time to start somewhere.

Thanks for the replies, i really appreciate it smile