Finland

In the FAQ it states that songs containing copyrighted content cannot be uploaded.  However, would it be permitted to link to a song hosted off-site that contains copyrighted samples?  I don't know if the rule is a creative limitation or if it is there purely for legal reasons.

Do you mean can you link to an offsite song with copyright content and have it count towards Weeklybeats? Or did you want to link to an offsite song just for discussion purposes?

Finland
Lazerbeat wrote:

Do you mean can you link to an offsite song with copyright content and have it count towards Weeklybeats? Or did you want to link to an offsite song just for discussion purposes?

The former.

Los Angeles

If you are worried about copyright infringement than we cannot condone such activities. You can of course do your own thing but I don't think posting mp3 links in the forums will serve much benefit honestly.

Riverside, CA

Just how strict is that rule by the way?
For example, would the Amen break be counted as "copyrighted content"?

The Amen break is kind of a weird case copyright wise, as I'm sure you know! The admins are going to err on the side of caution copyright wise, if we see something which we feel is dubious we will probably take it down just to be sure. If you have a sample you think is in a bit of a grey area, I would advise again using it and play it safe.

Finland
trash80 wrote:

If you are worried about copyright infringement than we cannot condone such activities. You can of course do your own thing but I don't think posting mp3 links in the forums will serve much benefit honestly.

I personally am not worried about copyright infringement because I don't think any rights holders would notice or care about little old me.  I asked because I wasn't sure if a "no sample" rule was in effect to add an extra challenge, or if it was to avoid hosting any form of copyrighted content on the site's servers.

Coastal Australia

It would be with regards to infringing copyright laws and I think that's a fair request.

Madrid, Spain

My first track features a highly manipulated sample, but in the end, the sample gets played once uninterrupted and relatively unaltered. It could be recognised. I'm aware of the licensing problems and will take my chances, but also agree with Trash80

Perth, Australia

I'm thinking of leveraging some vocal 'stabs' for my second track - i'll be impressed if you can pick what song they're from, as they're all less than half a second each e.g. a "vowel sound"

Pretty sure they will fall under "fair use", as It's non-commercial and it's not like I'm lifting a whole riff or bar or whatever.

Than again, I might do something completely different! Who knows! smile