Sydney, Australia

WHAT THE FUCK IS A NU-DISCO

Philadelphia
godinpants wrote:

WHAT THE FUCK IS A NU-DISCO

it's like old disco, but nu. obvs

New York, NY

Forums...

I really wish this site did away with the Forum section.
I really loved the simplicity of "lazerscale2010".
I would come to site, listen to new tracks, get inspired.  I wanted to be a part of it.

I've always felt when a forum is up it takes away from the main focus.
Just my two cents.

much love, xo
jason.

Los Angeles
Falling For A Square wrote:

Forums...

I would agree to an extent... The decision was made to give members a voice to post questions, collaborate or get creative ideas.

Coastal Australia
Poppi wrote:
spry wrote:

why all the chip hate?

I don't think that was point. I do think [you] all need to calm down and stop taking it so personally.

I view the challenge of WB's as to expand one's compositional horizons (not just output) regardless the choice of instruments and production techniques. That said, as a non-chip musician, but someone with a long-term appreciation for the genre nonetheless, I appreciate CK's post – if I were forced to listen to chip music and nothing else I'd be suffering from profound hearing loss.

heart

Agreed.

Cincinnati, Ohio
CK wrote:

Pretty plz,

If your a chip musician turn off the gameboy, look at glitch or ambient or nu-disco, or something fresh. I'd be sad if this site turns into a bunch of chipscene fallout. (...)

Instrumental music is fine, but a good vocal is better. If your not a vocalist, plz write lyrics, or a phrase of spoken word to sample, or at least use a vocoder. Or even better yet collab with a vocalist.

For the love of god back off on brickwall compression. Yes like everyone else I like a good pumping beat, but use multiband compression, and leave some transients in tact. -20db of L2 is straight wrong.

Poppi wrote:
spry wrote:

why all the chip hate?

I don't think that was point. I do think [you] all need to calm down and stop taking it so personally.

After some thought, I decided it is indeed worth my time to respond to this because something like this could set the tone for the whole year.  I got the point but it could have been made without stating opinions like they are facts.  This seemed like it was going to be an inclusive community when I joined, and to see a post making prescriptions and telling people what to do just doesn't fit.  Vocal music is NOT better than instrumental music - thats just like.. your opinion man.  I happen to enjoy music without vocals more, especially if its some vocoded nonsense.  I feel that samples and vocals can often ruin a good song, but that's my opinion, and I don't expect nor would I want anyone to change themselves for my tastes.  Instead of telling people to put down the gameboys and hop on some nu-disco, it might be more constructive to state your preferences or say that you hope to see chipmusicians branch out in this or that way.  Don't get me wrong, I agree with the sentiment of this post, but why would you direct ultimatums at the community if you didn't want them to take it personally?  I even agree that multi-band compression is usually superior to standard, but for the love of god, be nice when you say it.  Perhaps I take music too seriously, but I'm really hoping this challenge is going to be a place for growth and constructive criticism and when I see a post like this, it makes me wonder..

Falling For A Square wrote:

Forums...

I really loved the simplicity of "lazerscale2010".
I would come to site, listen to new tracks, get inspired.  I wanted to be a part of it.

I've always felt when a forum is up it takes away from the main focus.
Just my two cents.

much love, xo
jason.

Ill be keeping an eye out for your tracks, wise words here. smile

Create what you want how you want to.

adelaide

Lazerscale only had a handful of people - communication was easily taken care of over IRC or email if needed.

There are many more people doing WeeklyBeats. It makes sense to have a forum to foster a community and make collaborations easier as well as sharing thoughts etc.

Madison, Alabama
little-scale wrote:

Lazerscale only had a handful of people - communication was easily taken care of over IRC or email if needed.

There are many more people doing WeeklyBeats. It makes sense to have a forum to foster a community and make collaborations easier as well as sharing thoughts etc.

My thoughts exactly.  I've enjoyed reading the posts so far, finding out what people hope to accomplish, what tools they will be using, etc.  As long as people stay civil and friendly, the forums will be a nice companion to teh 52 beatz.

Central VA
little-scale wrote:

I appreciate the decision to add a forum to this endeavor, as long as it stays civil I feel some good insight might be thrown out by participants.  Everyone has a negative opinion towards something and they'll likely come out on the forum, that's what it's there for, to handle all conversation.

Furthermore, I think all artists will find that sticking to this will foster some sort of inner creativity and drive for experimentation with other methods of composing and instrumentation.  For Lazerscale I personally found myself experimenting with all sorts of musical styles ranging from noise to improvisational jazz to chillwave to breakcore.  Hell, for a few of the songs I built entirely new musical devices of my own design.  There's so much to explore and creative expression will strike as time passes working on this.  The pressure to create at a constant rate will push you to new realms.  I can't wait to see how everyone flourishes during this project.

Last edited by Beverage (January 3, 2012 10:24 pm)

L003, C0rnw4//.
spry wrote:

Vocal music is NOT better than instrumental music - thats just like.. your opinion man.  I happen to enjoy music without vocals more, especially if its some vocoded nonsense.

what do you mean spry, lets all grow floppy hair and use auto tune, and get back up dancers and lazers and and and and and have our own range of perfume.

spry wrote:

Instead of telling people to put down the gameboys and hop on some nu-disco, it might be more constructive to state your preferences or say that you hope to see chipmusicians branch out in this or that way.

But I thought chip music and Nu-Disco were the only two genres of music!!!

Switzerland

I understand this thread as "whatever you were doing before and however you did it, please do it differently". Phrased that way, I indeed consider Weeklybeats challenge (yes I call it a challenge) also as an opportunity to make the music in a new way but I don't expect to have enough time every week to experiment new stuff.
And actually, chipmusic is quite new for me smile

The future

On the loudness tip..  When mastering, I personally shoot for about -12db RMS. That makes it close enough to commercially loud, you can listen to it in a car with no problem, but still allows a fair amount of dynamic range. For most of the zeros, this was pretty much the normal commercial level. Now it seems that people are shooting for -9db RMS and above.. which is ok if you are doing aggressive dubstep/tech house (skrillex's album clocks in at about -7RMS for the whole album), but completely unnecessary.

The future

oh also.. i strongly recommend using some kind of meter that shows an average level and a peak level simultaneously. If you can get an average that is about 7db less than the peaks most of the time, you are golden. Punch does not have to come from compression. In my opinion, buss compression is more useful as glue rather than to add punch. If you must use a shitload of compression.. use it only on the drum buss or on individual drum tracks. Most of the time, synths do not need any compression or if so.. very little.. low ratio compression. Let the synth's breath wink

No tunes in the key of A minor!

minikomi wrote:

No tunes in the key of A minor!

Fine, fine. A Aeolian only.