CA, USA

Pretty plz,

If your a chip musician turn off the gameboy, look at glitch or ambient or nu-disco, or something fresh. I'd be sad if this site turns into a bunch of chipscene fallout. Unless your gameboy has become part of your sonic circulatory system and your life force is oozing out to create a new cybernetic symphony of dystopian maximal that baffles even the mind of William Gibson then I guess thats OK.

Instrumental music is fine, but a good vocal is better. If your not a vocalist, plz write lyrics, or a phrase of spoken word to sample, or at least use a vocoder. Or even better yet collab with a vocalist.

For the love of god back off on brickwall compression. Yes like everyone else I like a good pumping beat, but use multiband compression, and leave some transients in tact. -20db of L2 is straight wrong.

Coastal Australia

Well you'll be happy to know I won't be doing one bit of chiptune at all.  smile

adelaide

This thread makes me want to pick up my Game Boys again.

You know this is a really amazing coincidence my next Gameboy pumping house EP was going to be called "your gameboy has become part of your sonic circulatory system and your life force is oozing out to create a new cybernetic symphony of dystopian maximal that baffles even the mind of William Gibson" but I will have to think of something else now....

NSW

^^^

Last edited by popsicle (May 11, 2012 6:37 pm)

UTAH

This is a tad harsh, but I think your message is good.  Break out of your comfort zone peeps, expand your horizons!

I'm still on break, all I have is my PSP.

deal with it

Austria

Im sorry, but im really in this to get good at lsdj XD but ill use a lot of samples, will also make some myself. But its merely to train. ^^ SORAY

Worthing

ALL CHIP ALL THE TIME

iowa city

I agree with you about trying different instruments and all (especially the compression) -- but I'm confused about what makes instrumental music inferior to vocal music...

Montreal

I wont be using a game boy. but to me you sound like a dick.

Cincinnati, Ohio

i do what i want.  why all the chip hate?  this post is pretty silly to me.

CK wrote:

Yes like everyone else I like a good pumping beat, but use multiband compression, and leave some transients in tact. -20db of L2 is straight wrong.

What about -60db?

NSW

^^^

Last edited by popsicle (May 11, 2012 6:36 pm)

Los Angeles

I think the bottom line is that it's up to the artist to decide what they will use WeeklyBeats for. I for one have a gig in feb, so my first songs will focus around the material I want to perform. After that I want to break out and do different stuff.

I think CK's point was to take this as a opportunity to experiment.

Chicago
Lazerbeat wrote:

You know this is a really amazing coincidence my next Gameboy pumping house EP was going to be called "your gameboy has become part of your sonic circulatory system and your life force is oozing out to create a new cybernetic symphony of dystopian maximal that baffles even the mind of William Gibson" but I will have to think of something else now....

+1