Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

fc

maple

By fc on July 12, 2020 6:27 am

More SuperCollider. Working towards making sIcK bEeTz.

Named after maple syrup that went on the pancakes this morning.

This is an expansion on the last couple of weeks. It was meant to be a separate project but I lost fucks to give and thought it'd be fun to implement what I'd done in a variation on previous work.

Quite a bit of post done in Ableton Live. Love this damn Valhalla Reverb.

Code if you like that kind of thing

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
July 13, 2020 5:56 am

How hard would it be to add structure to songs?

July 13, 2020 6:03 am
Devieus wrote:

How hard would it be to add structure to songs?


This is highly structured. Can you be more specific?

July 13, 2020 6:22 am
fc wrote:
Devieus wrote:

How hard would it be to add structure to songs?


This is highly structured. Can you be more specific?

Well, I don't know how it's structured in the code, but as a song it sounds like random sounds waiting their turn. There's no flow in it, the sounds don't play off of one-another.

July 13, 2020 6:37 am
Devieus wrote:
fc wrote:
Devieus wrote:

How hard would it be to add structure to songs?


This is highly structured. Can you be more specific?

Well, I don't know how it's structured in the code, but as a song it sounds like random sounds waiting their turn. There's no flow in it, the sounds don't play off of one-another.


Ah, fair enough. I totally disagree on the "no flow' and that the "sounds don't play off of one-another" (and since when is that a criteria?)

Basically: quasi-random events are the basis for the "kick" and "hat" sound. So that is "quasi structured". There is this little fizzle sound thing that operates on a similar but different quasi-random process, but by coincidence it sounds connected to the louder, noisier stuff. That noisier stuff enters are n seconds, runs its course, and departs, repeating on a loop with the n seconds changing on a range between 1 and 20.

Naturally if I run the program again it will create something else, but that is the point.

July 13, 2020 6:50 am
Devieus wrote:
fc wrote:
Devieus wrote:

How hard would it be to add structure to songs?


This is highly structured. Can you be more specific?

Well, I don't know how it's structured in the code, but as a song it sounds like random sounds waiting their turn. There's no flow in it, the sounds don't play off of one-another.

Also, I will say that I am not overly interested in debating the merits of experimental music practices. I very much fall in the Cagean lineage of accepting output without intervention, as music, for me, is about discovery not invention.

July 13, 2020 7:06 am
fc wrote:

Ah, fair enough. I totally disagree on the "no flow' and that the "sounds don't play off of one-another" (and since when is that a criteria?)

The "sounds playing off" thing is what usually is known as the harmony track, like how the lead and the harmony play each other off. By "flow" I mean the sounds that aren't the kicks and hats, those flow well, but that just makes a space and the things filling that space seem to crash in and depart abruptly.

fc wrote:

Naturally if I run the program again it will create something else, but that is the point.


I know that concept well enough. My generator does that too. I know how hard it can get.

July 13, 2020 9:37 am
Devieus wrote:
fc wrote:

Ah, fair enough. I totally disagree on the "no flow' and that the "sounds don't play off of one-another" (and since when is that a criteria?)

The "sounds playing off" thing is what usually is known as the harmony track, like how the lead and the harmony play each other off. By "flow" I mean the sounds that aren't the kicks and hats, those flow well, but that just makes a space and the things filling that space seem to crash in and depart abruptly.

fc wrote:

Naturally if I run the program again it will create something else, but that is the point.


I know that concept well enough. My generator does that too. I know how hard it can get.

I don’t see it as hard, though. Melody and harmony (in the western imperialist sense) are interesting in their own way, but not my thing (kinda). Harmony is just those sonic simultaneities, while melody is just those in sequence (with counterpoint being those posed in quasi-opposition to each other - a point against a point). This latter is much more interesting to me - as polyphony more generally is. So the interplay you seem to crave is there, but perhaps it is just not how you want it to be?

July 13, 2020 8:33 pm

Perhaps. It sounds like a glitchy mess in the way it's presented. Decoherent.

July 13, 2020 10:19 pm
Devieus wrote:

Perhaps. It sounds like a glitchy mess in the way it's presented. Decoherent.

* to you.

I wouldn’t argue so much if it weren’t for the implicit ‘and this is a bad thing’ or at best ‘this is not a good thing’ whereas it is entirely a good thing, to me, if it is perceived like that.

July 14, 2020 8:00 am

Seeing as the comments are just the two of us, there's more being implied than what I am implying. I'll admit it's not my thing, there's too much decoherence for me, it seems it's like that for a lot of people.
I also admit that that's okay, it's in the spirit of WB after all. Maybe someday you'll get to someplace that I, or someone else, can appreciate.

July 14, 2020 5:57 pm

July 14, 2020 6:12 pm
gesceap wrote:


lol seriously.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the actual music. It's really got that gonky 60s vibe which I haven't been able to get in SuperCollider yet.

July 14, 2020 6:15 pm

Also as long as we're all being petty drama queens here, I enjoyed this more than the twee bullshit your generator pooped out this week Devieus. Although I did enjoy some of the stuff it made previous weeks wink

July 15, 2020 2:21 am
Devieus wrote:

Seeing as the comments are just the two of us, there's more being implied than what I am implying. I'll admit it's not my thing, there's too much decoherence for me, it seems it's like that for a lot of people.
I also admit that that's okay, it's in the spirit of WB after all. Maybe someday you'll get to someplace that I, or someone else, can appreciate.

big_smile

You've been a good sport. I'm looking forward to having some time to peruse your generative work!

July 15, 2020 2:22 am
license wrote:
gesceap wrote:


lol seriously.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the actual music. It's really got that gonky 60s vibe which I haven't been able to get in SuperCollider yet.

Nom nom nom.

Yes! '60s vibe (with wonky beats). Got any tracks that were done with SuperCollider? Would love to check 'em out.

July 15, 2020 3:20 am
fc wrote:
license wrote:
gesceap wrote:


lol seriously.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the actual music. It's really got that gonky 60s vibe which I haven't been able to get in SuperCollider yet.

Nom nom nom.

Yes! '60s vibe (with wonky beats). Got any tracks that were done with SuperCollider? Would love to check 'em out.


Oh, sure, a good chunk of this year's beats! I think I tagged 'em all, let's see...
https://weeklybeats.com/license?s=tag:supercollider

July 15, 2020 4:07 am

I can totally see parts of this in a sci-fi horror movie soundtrack. Cool!

July 15, 2020 4:14 am

Well after reading all of that I had to hear it. When the 2nd thing came in more of the 1st thing came in, so I must conclude that this tracks elements are tied together fairly well. When the angry robots entered the room at 1min, I was like, "woah!" but it hadn't really struck me until 1:08 that these are actually quite contented robots, and not at all angry. I took good note of that. By 1:30, they were willing to accept me as one of their own, but I did not know the return codes. At 2 minutes, they returned to their normal duties, unperturbed by my lack of robotic candor. Beyond 3 minutes, I began to notice that the room had sprung a leak and water drippage was actively occurring, endangering the robots. Unable to accept this, I swiftly studied their language and derived a means to inform them of this fact so that they might save themselves. I tapped one on the shoulder and pointed at the water, thinking this quite clever. Unfortunately it was not sufficient and the dripping continued, but it must have been something quite unharmful to their circuits because they began celebratory exclamations of frequencies and combined into a bigger robot and flew off at 6 minutes.

July 15, 2020 4:14 am

Not enough perfect 5ths.

(many tasty tones.... oh and fully sik beatz)

July 15, 2020 6:37 am
license wrote:

Also as long as we're all being petty drama queens here, I enjoyed this more than the twee bullshit your generator pooped out this week Devieus. Although I did enjoy some of the stuff it made previous weeks wink


That's the thing about generation stuff, it's always going to be something different.

July 15, 2020 7:11 am
Mission Crossing wrote:

I can totally see parts of this in a sci-fi horror movie soundtrack. Cool!

Love it! That would be heaps of fun.

July 15, 2020 7:12 am
ngineer wrote:

Well after reading all of that I had to hear it. When the 2nd thing came in more of the 1st thing came in, so I must conclude that this tracks elements are tied together fairly well. When the angry robots entered the room at 1min, I was like, "woah!" but it hadn't really struck me until 1:08 that these are actually quite contented robots, and not at all angry. I took good note of that. By 1:30, they were willing to accept me as one of their own, but I did not know the return codes. At 2 minutes, they returned to their normal duties, unperturbed by my lack of robotic candor. Beyond 3 minutes, I began to notice that the room had sprung a leak and water drippage was actively occurring, endangering the robots. Unable to accept this, I swiftly studied their language and derived a means to inform them of this fact so that they might save themselves. I tapped one on the shoulder and pointed at the water, thinking this quite clever. Unfortunately it was not sufficient and the dripping continued, but it must have been something quite unharmful to their circuits because they began celebratory exclamations of frequencies and combined into a bigger robot and flew off at 6 minutes.

This may be the film that Mission Crossing was talking about. That is a fun description!

rdomain wrote:

Not enough perfect 5ths.

(many tasty tones.... oh and fully sik beatz)

Haha. Thanks mate.

July 15, 2020 2:21 pm
Devieus wrote:
license wrote:

Also as long as we're all being petty drama queens here, I enjoyed this more than the twee bullshit your generator pooped out this week Devieus. Although I did enjoy some of the stuff it made previous weeks wink


That's the thing about generation stuff, it's always going to be something different.


Sure. I've written a number of generative things in the last year or so that made things I didn't like so I just shelved them so I could take their components later and make into new things.

I just don't see a problem with a lack of structure (or loose structure) with this stuff - that can be interesting in and of itself. Just like how poetry doesn't have to rhyme. You can say different things in different forms like that.

July 15, 2020 3:18 pm
gesceap wrote:


I came here to post this haha. This wasn’t bad, not my style, but definitely cool with how it’s created.

July 15, 2020 5:09 pm
license wrote:
Devieus wrote:
license wrote:

Also as long as we're all being petty drama queens here, I enjoyed this more than the twee bullshit your generator pooped out this week Devieus. Although I did enjoy some of the stuff it made previous weeks wink


That's the thing about generation stuff, it's always going to be something different.


Sure. I've written a number of generative things in the last year or so that made things I didn't like so I just shelved them so I could take their components later and make into new things.

I just don't see a problem with a lack of structure (or loose structure) with this stuff - that can be interesting in and of itself. Just like how poetry doesn't have to rhyme. You can say different things in different forms like that.


I guess therein lies my problem, I dislike poetry.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up