Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Chrisfoo's music / Times Been (or is it Time Spin?)

Times Been (or is it Time Spin?)

By Chrisfoo on August 9, 2020 9:07 pm

Started this one with the intention of just making some quick speed trash so I could work on the songs for my album (as if thats ever going to fucking happen) this weekend, but I was really digging this idea so I actually ended up spending a lot of the weekend working on it.  Had to rush the mixing/mastering part though unfortunately so there's still a bunch of things I need to go back and fix. 

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
August 10, 2020 12:08 am

Lots of great stuff happening in this one.  The main synth line is catchy and there is some excellent guitar work in here, too.  I also really like what's going on with the vocals echoing and panning.  I don't know if it's Times Been or Time Spin... before I read the title I actually thought you were saying "James Dean" at first.  smile

August 10, 2020 4:28 am
CosmicCairns wrote:

Lots of great stuff happening in this one.  The main synth line is catchy and there is some excellent guitar work in here, too.  I also really like what's going on with the vocals echoing and panning.  I don't know if it's Times Been or Time Spin... before I read the title I actually thought you were saying "James Dean" at first.  smile

Thanks!  Yeah, since I ever since I got the Soundtoys effects rack I've been all about the delay throws and weird panning.  So many cool plugins in there.  And I lol'ed at the James Dean thing! 

August 10, 2020 5:14 am

Oh yeah!!! Loving those effects. Of course, they wouldn’t sound so good without the excellent source vocals smile. Nice work man!

August 10, 2020 11:55 am
Chrisfoo wrote:

...so I could work on the songs for my album (as if thats ever going to fucking happen)


Lmao, this 100%.
I like this one too, the vocals are pretty catchy. I love the mix of the guitar solo and the synth, they sound great together. Nice work!

August 10, 2020 1:27 pm

It was worth the extra time and effort, love this one smile

August 10, 2020 1:37 pm

I like the idea of "Time Spin" with that circular panning. Fits in tight with those squelchy arps! Great vocal melody line. Love the effects!

August 10, 2020 6:59 pm

Actually, I heard it as "times are bad" before I read the title. Whichever everyone settles on, it's a catchy track! Wouldn't call it speed trash at all (unless that's a genre name or something?).

August 11, 2020 1:31 am

Very cool track, "light" in a good way. Well done.

August 11, 2020 5:55 am

August 11, 2020 2:39 pm

If nothing else, you've got a new song for your album, or the next one. This is amazing.

August 11, 2020 6:23 pm

Oh this is sick. Loved when the guitar came in to accompany the synth melody

August 11, 2020 7:09 pm

Great song/composition!  Maybe a little mixing touchup to make the vocals come a little forward, but seriously this is really well done.  Beautiful sentiment and emotion in your delivery.  Love the pan echo ending.

August 12, 2020 2:51 am

These vocals are fantastic, man. The guitar line that comes in after about a minute sounds great, too. It gives a great kind of organic feel over the top of the synth line. smile

August 13, 2020 8:13 am

I love the maze-like synth line. It's hypnotic!

August 13, 2020 2:52 pm

I like the vocal hook a lot especially how it pans around.  That synth line is indeed hypnotic.  The bass line keeps the flow moving nicely along too.  Nice work!

August 16, 2020 11:42 pm

This is so good! I'm glad it wasn't left as speed trash.  This reminds me of the way I feel when I listen to...Owl City. Don't say anything >_> . How were you able to make the sounds separate and be so clear on their own. I've been experimenting with using less sounds/instruments, but I'm finding they kind of blend together at times, even without effects.

August 17, 2020 4:04 am
Mission Crossing wrote:

Oh yeah!!! Loving those effects. Of course, they wouldn’t sound so good without the excellent source vocals smile. Nice work man!

Thanks man!  Yeah, think I went a bit overboard on the tremolo, but thats been my thing lately.

hieme wrote:
Chrisfoo wrote:

...so I could work on the songs for my album (as if thats ever going to fucking happen)


Lmao, this 100%.
I like this one too, the vocals are pretty catchy. I love the mix of the guitar solo and the synth, they sound great together. Nice work!

Thanks man!  Yeah, that guitar tone and solo were meant to be total placeholders but I started love it so just left it.

Sodabelly wrote:

It was worth the extra time and effort, love this one smile

Totally, thanks!

NWSPR wrote:

I like the idea of "Time Spin" with that circular panning. Fits in tight with those squelchy arps! Great vocal melody line. Love the effects!

Thanks man!  Yeah those Soundtoys plugins that they tricked me into getting during pandemic were the best buy of the year I think.  Absolutely love them.

Reilly Farrell wrote:

Actually, I heard it as "times are bad" before I read the title. Whichever everyone settles on, it's a catchy track! Wouldn't call it speed trash at all (unless that's a genre name or something?).

Haha, yeah I ended up spending way too long on this for it to be speed trash.

djippy wrote:

Very cool track, "light" in a good way. Well done.

Thanks dude, glad you liked it!

Ipaghost wrote:

Yeah that sums it up pretty well.

Devieus wrote:

If nothing else, you've got a new song for your album, or the next one. This is amazing.

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

danju wrote:

Oh this is sick. Loved when the guitar came in to accompany the synth melody

Thanks man.  Yeah I used logics audio to midi feature to double the guitar.  Love how well they worked together.

orangedrink wrote:

Great song/composition!  Maybe a little mixing touchup to make the vocals come a little forward, but seriously this is really well done.  Beautiful sentiment and emotion in your delivery.  Love the pan echo ending.

Thanks man!  Yeah definitely looking forward to touching it up a bit.

hent03 wrote:

These vocals are fantastic, man. The guitar line that comes in after about a minute sounds great, too. It gives a great kind of organic feel over the top of the synth line. smile

Thanks dude, glad you liked it.

Kedbreak136 wrote:

I love the maze-like synth line. It's hypnotic!

Yeah, thats the idea that kicked the whole thing off actually!

Tone Matrix wrote:

I like the vocal hook a lot especially how it pans around.  That synth line is indeed hypnotic.  The bass line keeps the flow moving nicely along too.  Nice work!

Thanks dude! Yeah, having a blast with my Soundtoys plugins.

Anon_Buster wrote:

This is so good! I'm glad it wasn't left as speed trash.  This reminds me of the way I feel when I listen to...Owl City. Don't say anything >_> . How were you able to make the sounds separate and be so clear on their own. I've been experimenting with using less sounds/instruments, but I'm finding they kind of blend together at times, even without effects.

Haha, yeah its funny you say that, I was totally getting an Owl City vibe when I was writing it.  Definitely lucky with this combo of sounds though.  These were honestly all dialed in pretty quickly and meant to be placeholders, but after the fact I'm kind of liking the way they all work together.

August 23, 2020 2:25 pm

Great work man! Love the way that arp kinda loops until it blurs in your brain, and thats such a great payoff when it plays under the new riff at the end.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up