Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting January 1st 2018 GMT each participant will upload one finished composition per week. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Avarine's music / Crystal Ghosts

Crystal Ghosts

By Avarine on February 25, 2018 11:35 am

I had a pattern in my head which was my initial idea for this. A 4x4 kick with a syncopated rhythm on top. I played a lot more with panning than I have before, starting off by panning a couple of unison tambos to try to give a stereo effect. Next time I would either not quantize them, or quantize them to a lesser degree of accuracy. Much of the melodic stuff is a hang drum sample that I had fun playing around with. I have trouble getting the bass line to sound defined yet still round - definitely something I plan to practice/learn more about.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike (BY-NC-SA)

  • Play
  • Download
February 27, 2018 6:43 am

Pretty nifty groove.

February 27, 2018 5:51 pm

This is excellent (and will be going on my playlist). If you have Live 10, try using a drum buss on the bass; you can radically alter the sound with the various parameters..

February 27, 2018 11:01 pm

This is super fun to listen to. I'm picturing crystal ghosts doing what they do, it's working. Can picture them singing these melodies too, that's part of their thing. Great melodies. Love your ideas, I relate. I often think about syncopated stuff on top of 4/4 kick. I've been quantizing only when need to, and yeah, dialing it back a bit. And the bass trouble, yep, keep trying and tweaking various patches and never finding that round but defined one, onward!

February 28, 2018 8:47 am
Devieus wrote:

Pretty nifty groove.


Thanks smile


Jim Wood wrote:

This is excellent (and will be going on my playlist). If you have Live 10, try using a drum buss on the bass; you can radically alter the sound with the various parameters..

I'm still on Live 9, but thanks for the tip. Just another reason to update...


miraclemiles wrote:

This is super fun to listen to. I'm picturing crystal ghosts doing what they do, it's working. Can picture them singing these melodies too, that's part of their thing. Great melodies. Love your ideas, I relate. I often think about syncopated stuff on top of 4/4 kick. I've been quantizing only when need to, and yeah, dialing it back a bit. And the bass trouble, yep, keep trying and tweaking various patches and never finding that round but defined one, onward!

Thanks for the feedback smile Yeah they are friendly ghosts, not averse to a bit of a dance as well as a sing big_smile

March 1, 2018 2:46 am

ooooooh yes!  this is awesome! 

March 2, 2018 3:14 pm

Oh this is great, with a capital G! Lovely sound design, and I adore those rhythms with the hang drum. Going to straight to favourites!

March 4, 2018 3:06 am

kaedo sevaada wrote:

ooooooh yes!  this is awesome! 

antler wrote:

Oh this is great, with a capital G! Lovely sound design, and I adore those rhythms with the hang drum. Going to straight to favourites!

Thank you kindly smile

March 4, 2018 11:14 pm

Great track, the groove sits very well with the melodic elements. Well done!

September 17, 2018 10:39 am

That syncopated rimshot gives it a vague latin flavour. Very jazzy and elegant!

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up