Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

Halfpace

By Ashen Simian on August 29, 2020 8:32 am

A simple minimoogboogie with 70´s flavour. The rhythm elements have a bit more modern feel. I tried not to go overboard with overdubs this time. Just two minimoog tracks meandering over the mechanical backing. I will try to make things more minimalistic over the next weeks, I think. Must have the confidence to leave things out and space between the elements.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
August 31, 2020 1:55 am

I agree that often less is really more.  It's hard sometimes not to want to fill in empty spaces with "stuff" but the extras can sometimes detract from the whole.  It seems like you've struck a pretty good balance here.  It doesn't sound too sparse, but it doesn't sound too busy either.

September 3, 2020 5:41 am

Just remember to not space them out too much and you should be good.

September 3, 2020 5:33 pm

Holy smokes, that Moog bass is shaking my bowels! It's cliche to say but Moogs are so fat, it's practically all you need.  The portamento bass lines in the intro are killer. Same with the repeating slow arp lines.  I dares say you could strip this even further down to Moogs, primordial beats and that wonderful lofty higher melody and it would be solid. Moogs fill so much space on their own. I like the very limited percussion accents you dropped in like the clave taps. Cool stuff!

September 4, 2020 7:16 am
CosmicCairns wrote:

I agree that often less is really more.  It's hard sometimes not to want to fill in empty spaces with "stuff" but the extras can sometimes detract from the whole.  It seems like you've struck a pretty good balance here.  It doesn't sound too sparse, but it doesn't sound too busy either.

Devieus wrote:

Just remember to not space them out too much and you should be good.

NWSPR wrote:

Holy smokes, that Moog bass is shaking my bowels! It's cliche to say but Moogs are so fat, it's practically all you need.  The portamento bass lines in the intro are killer. Same with the repeating slow arp lines.  I dares say you could strip this even further down to Moogs, primordial beats and that wonderful lofty higher melody and it would be solid. Moogs fill so much space on their own. I like the very limited percussion accents you dropped in like the clave taps. Cool stuff!

Thanks guys! And many thanks for your detailed ideas and suggestions... I have had a busy week, so I am not sure if I can get more minimalistic for the nex one, but perhaps for the following week I will smile. Much appreciated. I am not too happy for most of my contributions for the last months, the summer was very busy and I generally have just thrown things together to get something to upload on the Sunday evening... but things are getting better timewise slowly here, so I thing I can get into second gear after a few weeks again.

September 4, 2020 6:02 pm

Those are some great sounds, man. Lots of movement too, love it!

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up