WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Alex Fun's music / Shadow in the Light

Shadow in the Light

By Alex Fun on August 16, 2020 8:14 pm

This is a song I started with my old band mate, Taylor. We were in a psych/prog rock band called chalaxy. Had fun writing in a different style with this one. We got words for the chorus but no verse yet. Also attempted a serious tempo change in the middle there. Critiques are always welcome.

August 17, 2020 8:54 pm

Nice! Really dig the vocals on this. Psych vibes are excellent, and the tempo change up halfway flows well, probably because the tempo patches a slowed down triplet feel or something. Added this one to my favorites smile

August 17, 2020 9:48 pm
ViridianLoom wrote:

Thank you so much! Ya know, I was thinking that making it a triplet would be the proper way to slow it down. Thanks for reminding/reinforcing that idea in my head.

August 17, 2020 11:59 pm

If you want to write this down, the way I calculate a tempo change to match a triplet feel is like this:
(BPM/3)*2 = Slowed down (like 90bpm to 60bpm)
(BPM/2)*3 = Sped up (90bpm to 135bpm)

This is mostly only useful for recording, when you want to slow down or speed up a song and feel the pulse of the metronome increase or decrease. Especially if you're working in odd time signatures as you normally would with prog. I've utilized that logic in a few songs this year when the ending section speeds up suddenly.

August 18, 2020 8:42 pm
ViridianLoom wrote:

(BPM/3)*2 = Slowed down (like 90bpm to 60bpm)
(BPM/2)*3 = Sped up (90bpm to 135bpm)

That's very helpful actually. Thank you! So I guess If I went from 135bpm to 90bpm, I guess I would have to change the time signature to 3/4?

August 20, 2020 2:19 am

I like the guitar work on this track very much. Both the delicate minor riff and the chorus backed with guitars around 2:50. I am less sure about the synth line from 3:06. Maybe the guitar coming back to playing the minor line could be an idea instead of the synth?

August 20, 2020 3:04 am