Facebook Twitter Music RSS

Weeklybeats 2016 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / orangedrink's music / Lightning Modem Explosion

Lightning Modem Explosion

By orangedrink on June 26, 2016 10:33 pm

There was a ridiculous thunderstorm last night and I was jolted from my sleep by a huge explosion at around 3am.  I woke up to find that the modem was fried!  After a few customer service phone calls, a drive out to the store, an interaction with some very generous store employees who decided to give me a free exchange (despite the warranty not covering lightning), a drive back, and another customer service call to get the new modem online: HERE WE ARE.


I got a Teenage Engineering Pocket Operator PO-20 Arcade model last week!  This entire track was written and improvised on the PO-20 alone, with some EQ and mastering on the computer.  I also edited out a few parts to keep the composition snappy, and get rid of those moments where I was trying to figure out which button did what.  The composition is about the impending thunderstorm and the super electric arpeggio exploding the modem!  You can hear the high pitch note after the low pass filter fry the modem!


The PO-20 is a lot of fun and I am excited to improvise electronic music with hardware for the first time!


To do list:
- learn how to use the other mastering tools, like equalizer, stereo spatializer, and that other thing
- learn how to use sidechain compression
- redo end vocals for "What It Felt Like"
- redo some vocals for rap song
- relax

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
June 27, 2016 12:06 am

Man, once this gets going it REALLY gets going. Can't believe some of this was improvised, it's great!

June 27, 2016 2:24 am

That's an amazing buildup to the explosion.Never heard a modem sound so good.

June 27, 2016 5:36 pm

June 27, 2016 5:39 pm

Absolutely dope! Incredible power.

On the up side, at least your computer didn't get fried. ::)

June 28, 2016 1:27 am

This really does build into something nice.  And great job utilizing a new piece of equipment.

June 28, 2016 2:03 am

How awesome is the PO-20?! I love mine, really need to get around to writing some more stuff with it...
This track is super cool and very much an inspiration for me to start digging a little deeper into my POs. Awesome job man!!:D

June 30, 2016 3:37 pm

Yeah, this is great!  I love the arpeggios!

June 30, 2016 5:19 pm

what a journey to get this online!  glad you are back up & running!  super fun lighting explosion digital rainstorm sounds!

July 1, 2016 8:13 am

This builds up very nicely, a great track and it's very cool that it's done while learning to use a new piece of equipment. 

(I Think I need to buy one of the Pocket Operators myself soon!)

July 1, 2016 10:09 am

Lovely stuff

July 3, 2016 11:33 am

July 3, 2016 1:55 pm

This is cool!
I always considered the Pocket Operators more as a toy, like my Korg Kaossilator (NOT pro), wich is fun for a moment but nothing to do real music.
Well done!

July 4, 2016 7:47 pm

I swear you can make a killer track on a rotten cucumber.

July 9, 2016 9:24 pm
Sodabelly wrote:

Man, once this gets going it REALLY gets going. Can't believe some of this was improvised, it's great!

Thank you!

Edmund Snyder wrote:

That's an amazing buildup to the explosion.Never heard a modem sound so good.

If it only worked!  Thanks, I really tried to imagine the thunder rumble building up into the bolt of electricity!

Ipaghost wrote:

I don't know how you find the appropriate gif for every occasion.  I'm going to title my next track "sexy older men dancing in underwear" just for your reaction gif ;-)

Jim Wood wrote:

Absolutely dope! Incredible power.

On the up side, at least your computer didn't get fried. ::)

Amen!

CosmicCairns wrote:

This really does build into something nice.  And great job utilizing a new piece of equipment.

Thanks!  I try to avoid gear lust as much as possible, but in this case I think I did the right thing by spending money.

Martiln wrote:

How awesome is the PO-20?! I love mine, really need to get around to writing some more stuff with it...
This track is super cool and very much an inspiration for me to start digging a little deeper into my POs. Awesome job man!!:D

PO-20 CHALLENGE ACCEPTED BY MARTILN  Thank you!

mysterioso wrote:

Yeah, this is great!  I love the arpeggios!

Me too!  The arpeggios kinda sold me on the unit.

is nothing sacred? wrote:

what a journey to get this online!  glad you are back up & running!  super fun lighting explosion digital rainstorm sounds!

Thanks.  and then 2 days later the router died, but that's another story!  :-P

Plantrain wrote:

This builds up very nicely, a great track and it's very cool that it's done while learning to use a new piece of equipment. 

(I Think I need to buy one of the Pocket Operators myself soon!)

Thank you!  Go for it!

m2K7 wrote:

Lovely stuff

Thanks boss!

Podling wrote:

^_^

theGuen wrote:

This is cool!
I always considered the Pocket Operators more as a toy, like my Korg Kaossilator (NOT pro), wich is fun for a moment but nothing to do real music.
Well done!


Thanks man!  Flattered that I could give you a different perspective of the unit!

mechlo wrote:

I swear you can make a killer track on a rotten cucumber.


CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

July 11, 2016 8:56 pm

hope you are up & running again!

August 22, 2016 7:39 pm
is nothing sacred? wrote:

hope you are up & running again!

I am, thanks!  I couldn't believe it, but the store gave me a free replacement, despite the item being over warranty!

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up