Facebook Twitter Music RSS

Weeklybeats 2016 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / laguna's music / Broke dancing

Broke dancing

By laguna on April 10, 2016 11:58 pm

Uploaded at the last minute, as usual. This week I really had to struggle with a severe lack of time and sleep. I REALLY need to be sleeping right now instead of doing track but I guess you all know the drill wink

Small beat driven thingie built onto some James Brown chops heavily glitched and chopped by hand on an 22.050 kHz Akai s20 sampler. That beige box was long gone but sounded good, and I found some small loops and rebuilt this on my beloved Ableton.

The end "synth" is a simple stance of Analog though the vocoder, modulated by the drums. Quick mix and irresponsable mastering smile

A voice in the breaks says "keep dancing", but I kept hearing "break/glitch dancing" after so many loopings, so I gave it that misspelled title. Love to everyone of you out there, and I hope you've got a great week. I tried to make this sound fat enough for ya!

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Share Alike (BY-SA)

  • Play
  • Download
April 11, 2016 12:36 am

The S20 was great in its day for the price. I had my eye on one then almost got a Yamaha su10 ... then Zoom released their super cheap sametrak.  Oh those days before affordable gear!!  Really dig what you've put together in spirit here tho!!

April 11, 2016 12:45 am
cTrix wrote:

The S20 was great in its day for the price. I had my eye on one then almost got a Yamaha su10 ... then Zoom released their super cheap sametrak.  Oh those days before affordable gear!!  Really dig what you've put together in spirit here tho!!

Oh, man! You touched some strings with your Yamaha/Zoom memories. Here in Spain, in my local secondhand music forum, there are a couple of SU10 really cheap, though I'm not still using my brand new Volca Sample (Xmas present) so I don't really find a proper justification beyond fetishism and GAS, but...

The Akai s20 sounds quite fat, very much like an s2000, but the sequencer is almost a joke, no wave graphic display so precise editing is not feasible and no filter. I really fantasize right now of getting another one and filter it though my Eurorack setup but... you know. Sometime I'd throw my hardware out of the window and sometimes using it is like a Zen experience smile

I already commented in your track, but again: kudos for squeezing new life out of the infamous MC 303. YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

April 11, 2016 1:09 am

The dancers gif you posted is very apt. The EQ cut in the center section is a little dirty, but I really like the groove and melodies. Well done.

April 11, 2016 1:21 am

Hands down the best track of the 8 I have listened to so far (of week 14). Nice work!

April 11, 2016 1:31 am

Dude, this is amazing! I love the grittiness to all your songs, those vintage samplers sound great! I like the minimal melody here, and the beat is huuuuge

April 11, 2016 5:20 am

Awesome work - love the twang / resonance of the leady bit!

April 11, 2016 1:25 pm

Ah this is so good! Super chill, vintage vibes and incredibly sophisticated. Incredible work my friend!

April 11, 2016 1:31 pm

The past tense of breakdancing.  Cool sounds.  Now, go get some sleep so you can be energized to make more awesome sounds.

April 11, 2016 2:01 pm

Again such a Great Great track. U Should make An album out of these

April 11, 2016 2:45 pm

April 11, 2016 3:21 pm

Outstanding ultra-slow dance beat.  I like everything about this: the tempo, the grainy synth choices, the beat itself and the melodic/sonic manipulation over it.  This could be four times as long and work just as well.  So great.

April 11, 2016 3:41 pm

Spare, yet still dancey --quite an accomplishment. Much faved.

April 11, 2016 5:17 pm

What a supercool beat you've got here.
Like it soooooooo much. Nice sound from your
machines. I would take a vinyl-copy!!!

April 11, 2016 6:12 pm
tsrono wrote:

The dancers gif you posted is very apt. The EQ cut in the center section is a little dirty, but I really like the groove and melodies. Well done.

Yes, indeed, I need to check those levels. Basically I upgraded Ableton filters in the song and add some slight filter overdrive, so I guess there could be some clipping.

I ended my quick mastering 11 minutes before the deadline. I hope to remaster it properly for a Soundcloud release.

Thanks both for the feedback and listening, of course!


Kohlhofer wrote:

Hands down the best track of the 8 I have listened to so far (of week 14). Nice work!

Thank you very much Korlhofer! I really want to catch up with so many good tunes that I'm still missing smile


tim koch wrote:

Awesome work - love the twang / resonance of the leady bit!

Thanks Tim! Both synths are processed through some vocoder and beat repeat used AS SENDS. I think there's also a resonator involved. It's a cool trick to obtain rhythm driver synth phrases

donnyjankowski wrote:

Dude, this is amazing! I love the grittiness to all your songs, those vintage samplers sound great! I like the minimal melody here, and the beat is huuuuge

Thanks man! Hardware samplers could be recreated, but they are really fun to make quick ideas and maybe they're inspiring because it's difficult to make "modern" arrangements with them, so they sometimes end with weird results smile

Thanks for the support and listening every week smile

April 11, 2016 6:34 pm

great job!  this is a wicked track, just ditto on what everyone said.  REAL GRIT

April 12, 2016 2:41 am

strong work. still sounds pretty "minimal" to me, or maybe the better word would be "intimate" -- not sure, sounds like it's really focused on the beat and all the resulting glitches and rhythms. i can see some connection between "for no particular reason" and this one. thumbs up!

April 12, 2016 11:45 am
Martiln wrote:

Ah this is so good! Super chill, vintage vibes and incredibly sophisticated. Incredible work my friend!

Thank you, Martiln! I wish I'd reach your crystal-clear production values, your songs sound so polished smile Glad you liked it. It's hard for me to think that 90's are "vintage", because for a part of me they're still brand new... Guess I'm old then smile

Thanks again for listening

Edmund Snyder wrote:

The past tense of breakdancing. Cool sounds. Now, go get some sleep so you can be energized to make more awesome sounds.


Thank you Edmund! Yes, you're right, it's past tense. Sounds a little weird doesn't it? Anyway it isn't exactly a dance track, so meybe the undefined titled suits it well.

dj someguy wrote:

Again such a Great Great track. U Should make An album out of these

Thanks man! I've been thinking about doing some beat compilation. I should create some artwork and link a few cohesive tracks smile

onezero wrote:

Outstanding ultra-slow dance beat.  I like everything about this: the tempo, the grainy synth choices, the beat itself and the melodic/sonic manipulation over it.  This could be four times as long and work just as well.  So great.

Thanks, OneZero. As a fellow Ableton user, you should try some tricks in here: I vocoded the synth modulated by the drums, then placed a resonator, an LFO-controlled beat repeat and then a filtered delay. It's great to add weird and unexpected variations to static material.

Glad you liked it and thanks again for listening smile

Jim Wood wrote:

Spare, yet still dancey --quite an accomplishment. Much faved.

It would be nice to see a creative liquid breaker swinging to it. Thanks Jim! smile

Q-Rosh wrote:

What a supercool beat you've got here.
Like it soooooooo much. Nice sound from your
machines. I would take a vinyl-copy!!!

Thanks a lot, Q ROsh! I'd love to scratch these beats directly on wax! Your feedback is much appreciated smile

April 12, 2016 11:52 am
orangedrink wrote:

great job!  this is a wicked track, just ditto on what everyone said.  REAL GRIT

Thanks Orangedrink smile I'm in a personal quest to get that 90s crunchy atmosphere from my gear. Not really a hardware fetishist, I think it is possible to add some grittiness to any material be it in the box or out of it. Sofware is fantastic too!

Really glad to receive your feedback and hear your tracks smile



Christian Grey wrote:

strong work. still sounds pretty "minimal" to me, or maybe the better word would be "intimate" -- not sure, sounds like it's really focused on the beat and all the resulting glitches and rhythms. i can see some connection between "for no particular reason" and this one. thumbs up!


Glad to hear you feel some intimacy in such a gritty digital beat, Christian. These ones are built around certain small number of samples carefully chosen and a relatively complicated chain of FX, so there are some resemblance to the way I approach guitars (mainly because I am so lame playing).

Lately I'm loading melodic elements in the pads, so they are played as drums. It was mainly to build whole atmostpheres with just a beat box/sampler, but I think it maybe give certain approach to the resulting music.

Thanks a lot for your feedback and for being there smile

April 12, 2016 3:03 pm
laguna wrote:


onezero wrote:

Outstanding ultra-slow dance beat.  I like everything about this: the tempo, the grainy synth choices, the beat itself and the melodic/sonic manipulation over it.  This could be four times as long and work just as well.  So great.

Thanks, OneZero. As a fellow Ableton user, you should try some tricks in here: I vocoded the synth modulated by the drums, then placed a resonator, an LFO-controlled beat repeat and then a filtered delay. It's great to add weird and unexpected variations to static material.

Glad you liked it and thanks again for listening smile

Oh, man--I just tried this on a real kit, audio output turned off, just to modulate a channel of Analog through the vocoder...and the possibilities are really good.  This might end up being the basis of this week's piece. Thank you for the suggestion, Laguna!

April 12, 2016 4:57 pm
Ipaghost wrote:

It's a break duel

April 15, 2016 12:01 pm

Nice Track!
VocoderĀ“s are universally usable, a secret weapon smile

April 15, 2016 4:29 pm

Alright, after hearing all your amazing stuff I'm looking to pick up a 90s era sampler with a good or decent onboard sequencer. Any recommendations?

April 16, 2016 3:11 pm
donnyjankowski wrote:

Alright, after hearing all your amazing stuff I'm looking to pick up a 90s era sampler with a good or decent onboard sequencer. Any recommendations?

Hummmm, I'll recomend an Akai MPC 500 for a cheap solution, ultra portable, but there's no waveform display though you could load any 44100 mono/stereo wav file. The sequencer in the MPC series are different from a DAW and more close to something like Maschine. If you wanna spent more, go for the Akai MPC 1000.

Other people go the Roland SP way: SP-404/404EX is really fun and fast to use. SP-202/SP-303 are limited to Smart Media card which is now rare and unreliable. SP-505 is underrated and has a secondary "tracker style" event sequencer. Anyway, compared to a DAW, they're more less sketch pads.


HOWEVER:

Maybe if you shop for any old rack mount / scsi driven / really cheap rackmount unit you'll be confined to maybe 8 or 16 megs of RAM and limited storage. I insist, it's not really the gear that makes the sound but the workflow. Things tend to be quite much slower, and often there's no UNDO, so you find yourself "planning and fantasizing" about "what you're going to sample today". I could work a hundred times faster on Ableton, and I actually mix the two techniques.

Pick one cheap Akai s3000xl / E-MU 6400 / E-MU Esi 4000 / Ensoniq EPS16+ / Yamaha A4000-A5000 (they support IDE drives!). Don't expect to fill a huge library of sounds (less is more). You've got to change your state of mind beforehand. I hear a lot of young producers expecting "Kontakt in a box with phat crispy low end" and they're quite less powerful than any simple VST these days.

DON'T PAY MUCH, AND HAVE FUN. I'll eventually sell most of my "vintage" gear, I mean it. I'm glad I did the trip and struggle with floppy disks: that made me approach my process in a more minimalistic, "let's see what's the important part" way. I'm really glad I made that: now I really enjoy a 1998 PC Tracker and feel I've got awesome resources within any PSP running Piggytracker. It's the approach, not the machine. They're often cumbersome, unreliable and hard to back up and repair.

You've listened to my music and I'm really honoured that I inspire you to explore, though believe me they don't SOUND that special but they make you MAKE DIFFERENT CHOICES. It's like going back to the basics: no WAves Plugins, no "SAusage Fattener"... If it doesn't sound dope coming out of the box, or it's muddy and boring, will be to late to fix it with production. When you learn to make them sound OK, suddenly you rediscover the pleasures of Reason REX, Maschine or Ableton Sampler, because now everything seems incredibly powerful smile

Hope this long boring rant helps you, Donny. I'll drop some email to you anyway smile



April 17, 2016 8:40 pm

Love the groove in this, and the lead in the last part is perfect for this track.
Well done!

April 17, 2016 9:30 pm

Dude thanks so much for the advice! I love my SP202 for gritty stuff but you're right in that nothing will replace Ableton, it's just so powerful and I've got the workflow down. I'm just going to focus on using the gear I've got (with their wonderful limitations) and put off buying another sampler now. Thanks! Be in touch smile

April 26, 2016 8:00 am

Oh dear, this sounds so sweet! Awesome groove and atmosphere, too.

April 26, 2016 10:13 am
Plantrain wrote:

Love the groove in this, and the lead in the last part is perfect for this track.
Well done!

Tank, Paintrain, and sorry for the late reply. Life's been hectic and I'm still catching up with both answering and listening.

Max Normal wrote:

Oh dear, this sounds so sweet! Awesome groove and atmosphere, too.

Thanks Max! Glad you liked this strangely off-beat swing

April 26, 2016 10:20 am
donnyjankowski wrote:

Dude thanks so much for the advice! I love my SP202 for gritty stuff but you're right in that nothing will replace Ableton, it's just so powerful and I've got the workflow down. I'm just going to focus on using the gear I've got (with their wonderful limitations) and put off buying another sampler now. Thanks! Be in touch smile

Yeah, man. Indeed. I'm glad for all the positive feedback I've received about my "classic hardware" pieces, though they've helped me realise the sound is more on the actual limitations of the machine than in any "fairy dust" or that classic "those converters" myth. You could get that sound with proper EQ and compression in Ableton. Anyway, I didn't pay more than 70 US bucks for any of my samplers, so if you find something really cheap, it is worth the money in order to mess with them for a while.

I've seen several SP-404's here and there. Wonderful "crappy" FX, it has. My best advice is: try to combine them, maybe start the jam on the four oh four and continue it on Ableton. Us it as another instrument, instead of the "software VS/against hardware" thing.

Looking forward to hear what you get out of that silver box smile

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up