Facebook Twitter Music RSS

Weeklybeats 2016 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Jim Wood's music / Cluck Old Hen

Cluck Old Hen

By Jim Wood on April 8, 2016 3:41 am

Reimagining of an Appalachian folk song (earliest transcription 1886). Mac computer voice Samantha:

My old hen's a good old hen
She lays eggs for the railroad men
Sometimes one, sometimes two
Sometimes enough for the whole damn crew

A Dorian

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike (BY-NC-SA)

  • Play
  • Download
April 11, 2016 12:16 am

This is wonderful. Like electronic blues, in a way. Though of course coming from quite a different culture.

I've got some catching up to do on your work Jim, but I'll get there!

April 11, 2016 12:38 am

The "old meets new" approach of this is very cool both in concept and execution.  Good stuff.

April 11, 2016 3:42 am

Awesome.

April 11, 2016 1:57 pm

Beautiful piece of music

April 11, 2016 2:54 pm

April 11, 2016 3:13 pm

I use the word "hypnotic" a lot to describe your pieces, but that's the effect they have. Excellent work, Jim--great fuzzy synth, confusing vocal cuts, outstanding choice of source material.  Bravo!

April 11, 2016 4:12 pm

Awesome track, high fidelity sounding, lots of fresh inventions,
a big pleasure to listen to it. Love this.

April 11, 2016 4:44 pm

smile smile smile

April 11, 2016 10:09 pm

very cool idea, even better execution... one of your best pieces methinks

April 12, 2016 1:12 pm

yes indeed cool concept and super execution!

April 14, 2016 1:42 am

This is great. Love the bass-line and the glitchy voice. Very Younger Brother sort of sound. Really enjoyed it.

April 15, 2016 12:20 pm

Great Stuff!
What are you doing with voices, crazy smile

April 16, 2016 8:02 am

Lots of good musical ideas, perfectly matching! Wonderful track!

April 17, 2016 3:42 am

brilliant! what a groove

April 17, 2016 4:01 am
onezero wrote:

I use the word "hypnotic" a lot to describe your pieces, but that's the effect they have. Excellent work, Jim--great fuzzy synth, confusing vocal cuts, outstanding choice of source material.  Bravo!

Really digging this. And I think onezero nailed the graphic

April 17, 2016 3:26 pm
vinpous wrote:

This is wonderful. Like electronic blues, in a way. Though of course coming from quite a different culture.

I've got some catching up to do on your work Jim, but I'll get there!

CosmicCairns wrote:

The "old meets new" approach of this is very cool both in concept and execution.  Good stuff.

Edmund Snyder wrote:

Awesome.

dj someguy wrote:

Beautiful piece of music

Ipaghost wrote:

onezero wrote:

I use the word "hypnotic" a lot to describe your pieces, but that's the effect they have. Excellent work, Jim--great fuzzy synth, confusing vocal cuts, outstanding choice of source material.  Bravo!

Q-Rosh wrote:

Awesome track, high fidelity sounding, lots of fresh inventions,
a big pleasure to listen to it. Love this.

GrainBastard wrote:

smile smile smile

george bowles wrote:

very cool idea, even better execution... one of your best pieces methinks

tim koch wrote:

yes indeed cool concept and super execution!

Techmonkey wrote:

This is great. Love the bass-line and the glitchy voice. Very Younger Brother sort of sound. Really enjoyed it.

m2K7 wrote:

Great Stuff!
What are you doing with voices, crazy smile

Plantrain wrote:

Lots of good musical ideas, perfectly matching! Wonderful track!

cfurrow wrote:

brilliant! what a groove

r2me2 wrote:
onezero wrote:

I use the word "hypnotic" a lot to describe your pieces, but that's the effect they have. Excellent work, Jim--great fuzzy synth, confusing vocal cuts, outstanding choice of source material.  Bravo!

Really digging this. And I think onezero nailed the graphic

Chicken,egg, chicken, egg… Thank you all for your kind and perceptive comments!

April 20, 2016 5:42 pm

Really digging the deep bassline throughout the track.  Suhweet chopped SamVox too.  Nice job!

April 20, 2016 6:22 pm
Tone Matrix wrote:

Really digging the deep bassline throughout the track.  Suhweet chopped SamVox too.  Nice job!

I've gotten leery of using other people's vocals (mostly copyright issues); computer voices make a no-fuss replacement. ::)

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up