Melbourne, Australia

So, is anybody else planning on coming to this (and playing)? If not, I'm going to start organising the set order / times. I'm gonna call the 17th the "cutoff" date. After that point, I will -try- to fit you in but set times wont be altered so you might not get a slot.

NL

I'd come if it wasn't literally on the other side of planet Earth; not that I'd add anything to the party though.

Adelaide, Australia

Skype it up yo.

adelaide

U coming Justin?

Adelaide, Australia

I'm in on this now.

NL
Thursdaybloom wrote:

Skype it up yo.

If something like that could be set up, that'd be neat.

Melbourne, Australia

We're gonna try to stream it smile We can do a Skype group chat with those that can not attend too smile

adelaide

YAY!

Melbourne, Australia

Oh shit I should finish my track for this week lol

NL

Well, if whoever does the Skype group thing needs my name, it's identical to the one right below my avatar.

Melbourne, Australia

Anyone else who wants in just add me. (derris-kharlan)

AU

Stream coming together  - It'll be a PD170p camera (with XLR inputs) + desk feed with wide lens on a big arse tripod over looking the party to the artist.  tiasu has made a pretty insane LED lighting party system controlled via MIDI / FFT and has also made some amazing other light up things so it should be fun to watch also :-)

AU
rdomain wrote:

Typical.  Adelaide crew have to go to Melbourne for gigs that aren't coming to Adelaide.

In case Nathan's house totally fills up, I have floor space back at mine if we need to taxi back for some sleeps.  Can fit at least 3 between (with one on couch) so feel free :-)  Also could bring moar mattresses, lilos, etc.

Melbourne, Australia

So, here we go, some demos for the LED things. There are two bars of LEDs which are mirror images of each other. Control them via MIDI (can be MIDI from anywhere). Break down the midi channel numbers and what the correspond to are below

I've done two little demos, one just running through the lights and one synced to this weeks track.

http://tiasu.com/WIP/LED_demo_runthrough.mid

http://tiasu.com/WIP/LED_demo_tregetour.mid

Apologies for the quality of the videos, as it turns out it is very hard to film incredibly bright LEDs and most of the visual is lost - they're actually doing a lot more than you can see in that video. Also there was a green LED bank that wasn't working properly in the video. It was a really annoying issue, because it would work sometimes but I think I've sorted it now.

Not shown in either video (mainly because it wasn't working properly) - Strobes & UV. Both are very cool, don't over use it though.

The basic guide to programming these lights is - there will be ambient light in the room, but if you just flash them, someone will complain smile So it's a good idea to have at least one light on all the time. You can use PWM to vary the brightness of some of the LEDs (see the above image for all the details), so to do fades you have a lot of MIDI on messages and no MIDI off. I was going to map a CC value to do fades, but this was easier.

I have also built a couple of really cool 8x8 full RGB LED displays. They're running this really awesome free software, which you can actually download and play around with on your own computer. I'll probably just set them on random or you can choose what you want displayed. They can sort of do text (have to flip the x axis) and do simple still images. Technically they can do animations, although when I was playing with it with cTrix the images weren't displaying properly...

If you don't have time to write a lighting track for your set (it's a pain, I know, although not terribly time consuming) we can either set a few of the lights on, or use vinpous' amazing audio-to-LED MaxMSP patch, whichever you'd like to choose smile

Anyway, if anyone has any questions or anything like that, I'm pretty easy to find, message me on FB or on here. I'm also happy to play your MIDI files through the system and show you what it looks like (skype maybe?) if you need it!

Saska
(email is my name at my username dot com)

The future

do the outback!

St Louis

DO IT