Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

Wonky1

By zirafa on January 12, 2020 11:41 am

I went into the studio with one idea in mind, but walked out with something else entirely...like pushing around a shopping cart with a wonky wheel.

Drums recorded with 1 kick mic, 1 snare mic, and 1 subkick (a 10" speaker going into a DI box).

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
January 13, 2020 1:33 am

Chill!

January 13, 2020 1:41 am

Sounds clean smile

January 13, 2020 4:06 am

Love the drum sounds, nice work

January 13, 2020 5:52 am

The drums sound so excellent!  Fantastic composition.  Peak wonk.  Please explain how this subkick works?  How would the drums sound without it?

God, your ability to flam is unreal.  I know you've been practicing those flam passages but boy it has paid off.  I need another drum lesson from you!

The amount of silence before the end of the track is perfect.

This sounds like the feeling of going to a lakeside picnic on a warm spring day, accidentally 2 hours after the picnic ended, but still having a nice time.

January 13, 2020 8:26 pm

That chimey funky keyboard lick in the middle kills! Drums sound great... real simple. Like that sub-kick.  Was not familiar with that recording technique. Very cool!

January 16, 2020 6:17 am
Ipaghost wrote:

Chill!

haha, thanks for giving it a listen

Procyon Lotor wrote:

Sounds clean smile

thanks!

Nyarlos wrote:

Love the drum sounds, nice work

thx and appreciate the listen!


orangedrink wrote:

The drums sound so excellent!  Fantastic composition.  Peak wonk.  Please explain how this subkick works?  How would the drums sound without it?

God, your ability to flam is unreal.  I know you've been practicing those flam passages but boy it has paid off.  I need another drum lesson from you!

The amount of silence before the end of the track is perfect.

This sounds like the feeling of going to a lakeside picnic on a warm spring day, accidentally 2 hours after the picnic ended, but still having a nice time.

Thanks! A subkick is just like a really specific, low frequency microphone. By wiring up a speaker as a microphone, you can exploit the resonant frequencies of that speaker, i.e. for big bass type speakers you end up recording big bass type sounds. But the downside is you can't really record much outside of that narrow frequency range (it's a bad microphone). However when mixed with a regular kick mic, you can dial in a very big kick drum sound. Without it, I think the drums would sound ok, but I would probably have to do more work to EQ the kick and to make things beefier. I have gotten fond of what the subkick does, but I always have to be really careful since you can easily over do it and just blow out the low end on the mix.


NWSPR wrote:

That chimey funky keyboard lick in the middle kills! Drums sound great... real simple. Like that sub-kick.  Was not familiar with that recording technique. Very cool!

I'm glad you liked the chimey lick, it was a happy accident :-)

January 16, 2020 9:21 am

this has just got an amazing groove, great playing!

January 16, 2020 9:21 am

Digging the trrack smile

January 18, 2020 3:16 pm

It's not a mistake, it's a happy little accident.

January 22, 2020 10:10 am

Loving this wonky trepidating groove. Amazed you could keep it so steady "and off the beat" live.

Quite cool indeed. That break begs to be sampled.

January 26, 2020 12:37 am

Very nice work (and wonk)!

January 28, 2020 6:53 pm
grillo wrote:

this has just got an amazing groove, great playing!

theemeraldruby wrote:

Digging the trrack smile

Devieus wrote:

It's not a mistake, it's a happy little accident.

laguna wrote:

Loving this wonky trepidating groove. Amazed you could keep it so steady "and off the beat" live.

Quite cool indeed. That break begs to be sampled.

thanks ya'll

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up