Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting January 1st 2018 GMT each participant will upload one finished composition per week. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Tone Matrix's music / Denial Guilt and Fear

Denial Guilt and Fear

By Tone Matrix on May 6, 2018 10:28 pm

Since the Virus C has been happily active in recent weeks I decided to revisit the huge patch library I have saved.  So I spent a big chunk of time just browsing how many patches could make the main chord progression sound super wide and thick.  A few pads were taken from the Roland but most of the big pads and odd fx are from the Virus.  It's not the greatest piece of gear to perform live with (not that I have in years) but when it's working correctly the Virus has an inspiring sound.  The drums were a hodge podge of chopped/slowed loops.  The ending was my lazy attempt at pretending I was Nils Frahm. My arps definitely don't get as chaotic and mesmerizing as his track "Says" (google Nils Frahm Says KEXP Live if you're interested).  Of course he awesomely plays all that stuff live while I'm squinting at the monitor nudging all of my off rhythm mistakes.  Thanks for listening! smile

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
May 7, 2018 4:10 am

okay upon first reading I thought you were sick with some rare disease called VIRUS C

lol!

epic sounds!  this would be perfect in a video game cutscene before some crazy mission.

May 7, 2018 9:07 am
orangedrink wrote:

okay upon first reading I thought you were sick with some rare disease called VIRUS C

I thought about it too. What? Hepatitis C? But you are OK. Nice track.
lol!

epic sounds!  this would be perfect in a video game cutscene before some crazy mission.


May 7, 2018 6:23 pm

Certainly lives up to the title: the very essence of baleful regret. And yet soothing...

May 8, 2018 12:53 am

I, too, at first thought you had come down with some sort of horrible virus.  But the track is beautiful and really takes you on a journey.  Really nice.

May 8, 2018 7:57 am

Soothing and mellow. Nice.

May 13, 2018 1:28 pm

How good is KEXP! I think I have watched most of those performances. This is really wonderful as usual I find a real sense of longing in the mood.

May 13, 2018 6:05 pm

damnn great sound design this ambience is fantastic and those synth pads are insanely massive and fat! how did you get it sound that thick?

May 14, 2018 12:52 am

I'm loveing those arps, and the rest of the piece. So peaceful... and the synth becomes huuge!

May 16, 2018 2:19 pm
orangedrink wrote:

okay upon first reading I thought you were sick with some rare disease called VIRUS C

lol!

epic sounds!  this would be perfect in a video game cutscene before some crazy mission.

Q-Rosh wrote:
orangedrink wrote:

okay upon first reading I thought you were sick with some rare disease called VIRUS C

I thought about it too. What? Hepatitis C? But you are OK. Nice track.
lol!

epic sounds!  this would be perfect in a video game cutscene before some crazy mission.

Jim Wood wrote:

Certainly lives up to the title: the very essence of baleful regret. And yet soothing...

CosmicCairns wrote:

I, too, at first thought you had come down with some sort of horrible virus.  But the track is beautiful and really takes you on a journey.  Really nice.

Devieus wrote:

Soothing and mellow. Nice.

Ryan wrote:

How good is KEXP! I think I have watched most of those performances. This is really wonderful as usual I find a real sense of longing in the mood.

underground Luau wrote:

damnn great sound design this ambience is fantastic and those synth pads are insanely massive and fat! how did you get it sound that thick?

laguna wrote:

I'm loveing those arps, and the rest of the piece. So peaceful... and the synth becomes huuge!

Haha I probably should have cleared that up a bit I guess.  Ironically it's the synth that seems to have the recurring bug.  It's a cranky synth in the past few years where it will freak out if I'm applying too many fx changes.  Or after such a freakout then it decides to not power on fully.  Since I'm nowhere near an authorized dealer/repair shop I just leave it alone for a few days and then power it on hoping it feels like making music with me smile  (just tried powering it on, and nope not yet!) 

The pad thickness comes from two pads on the Roland and then 2 pads and 1 arp from the Access Virus.  I also employed Mr. Bill's Stereo Widening trick which helps spread the field for certain sounds.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdBO_2EHS9c

May 16, 2018 2:40 pm

I could offer you some advice about approaching a possible power supply fix. That behaviour sounds quite like a bad capacitor inside. On digital synths, that's one of the only "random" faults you can expect, which are neiter on/off but, as you described, more like "when he feels like playing".

Feel free to contact me, Eric

May 18, 2018 7:40 am

Sound is so nice!
This bell like arp is an absolute earcatcher...
You made it to favorite composers for working music wink
I really always get a good flow for writing some code and if it doesn't work you calm me down big_smile
Thanks!

May 25, 2018 4:06 pm
theGuen wrote:

Sound is so nice!
This bell like arp is an absolute earcatcher...
You made it to favorite composers for working music wink
I really always get a good flow for writing some code and if it doesn't work you calm me down big_smile
Thanks!

Suhweet!  I'm honored to be a part of the work music guild! smile 

October 25, 2018 2:16 am

fav'd

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up