Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / scottux's music / The most infuriating ambient I've ever made

The most infuriating ambient I've ever made

By scottux on January 5, 2020 10:15 pm

I made a tiny modular to do more ambient micro studies in. I threw in a couple modules I wasn't terrible familiar with, and I sequenced it with a sequencer I wasn't terribly familiar with. The end result of about 8 hours of learning, patching, fixing, and experimenting is this song. Not terribly calming, that whole process, let me tell you.

This submission is licensed by author under Copyright All rights reserved

  • Play
  • Download
January 6, 2020 12:17 am

well the process might not have been calming but the music sure is big_smile

great work and happy wb 2020!

January 6, 2020 12:25 am

That's very good! I like the short sub notes

January 6, 2020 1:35 am

Sounds soo good. Has this dreary/fogginess to it, lovely.

January 6, 2020 2:18 am

Sounds like you showed those modules who's boss. Nice work.

January 6, 2020 9:12 am

Lovely, this turned out great. Props to you for getting technical, hopefully the experience will pay off down the line.

January 6, 2020 9:32 am

lush

January 6, 2020 2:15 pm

The work paid off, my guy. Great track.

January 6, 2020 9:01 pm

this is wonderful

January 6, 2020 9:27 pm
Jamatar wrote:

well the process might not have been calming but the music sure is big_smile

great work and happy wb 2020!

Thanks! yeah it was dreadful but I think learning under these kinds of deadlines is really motivating. happy wb 2020

Procyon Lotor wrote:

That's very good! I like the short sub notes

Thanks! It's a repurposed kick module!

royb0t wrote:

Sounds soo good. Has this dreary/fogginess to it, lovely.

oh good, that was the idea! I dialed up all the verb and warble I could to get that fog

license wrote:

Sounds like you showed those modules who's boss. Nice work.

they'll think twice before confusing me next time!

hieme wrote:

Lovely, this turned out great. Props to you for getting technical, hopefully the experience will pay off down the line.

No guarantee it will, but I feel better having learned more about a few of these. Even if it means some probably just need to go.

zirafa wrote:

lush

ty ty

ecso wrote:

The work paid off, my guy. Great track.

thanks! it's great to hear nice words like this esp when all I can hear is the frustrations

tac wrote:

this is wonderful

heart

January 7, 2020 3:35 pm

I'm getting goosebumps listening to this. Not the 'I'm terrified' kind mind you, the 'this is a beautiful musical journey' kind smile hats off for pushing forward!

January 8, 2020 5:27 am

at least the end result is calming. for us :v

January 8, 2020 4:18 pm

Really nice pads smile . Really like when the bass kick in too. Composing stuff, learning tool is always tough for me too... the recording part is painful most of the time here.

January 9, 2020 4:23 pm

Eight hours is a good chunk of time but hey, it's all about the learning and this track is beautiful!

January 9, 2020 6:33 pm

Lovely ambient atmosphere with those opening pads.  The sub just completes it and fills the stereo field so nice.  I wish I had a tiny modular and could understand all the complex patching but I can barely keep my shoes tied! tongue  Nice work!

January 12, 2020 11:28 pm
Gab Manette wrote:

I'm getting goosebumps listening to this. Not the 'I'm terrified' kind mind you, the 'this is a beautiful musical journey' kind smile hats off for pushing forward!

I imagine a lot of my WB are going to be ambient, so I hope I keep the goosebump-giving power as I continue to learn and grow

midimachine wrote:

at least the end result is calming. for us :v

I imagine week 2's sound is going to be much more calming for everyone.

djippy wrote:

Really nice pads smile . Really like when the bass kick in too. Composing stuff, learning tool is always tough for me too... the recording part is painful most of the time here.

I ended up recording this track to the 6 track recorder on the ER-301, which is a silly way of saying even recording this was a little convoluted.

Sodabelly wrote:

Eight hours is a good chunk of time but hey, it's all about the learning and this track is beautiful!

I agree! About the learning! Hopefully I can keep up the good sounds and growth for the rest of my wb.

Tone Matrix wrote:

Lovely ambient atmosphere with those opening pads.  The sub just completes it and fills the stereo field so nice.  I wish I had a tiny modular and could understand all the complex patching but I can barely keep my shoes tied! tongue  Nice work!

tbh this patch is more like a series of guitar pedalboards vs a more traditional modular patchwork complication. A few sounds into a few effects into a mixer big_smile

January 13, 2020 1:15 pm

beautiful!!!

January 14, 2020 10:44 pm

It's great to see you back in 2020, Scott!!!

About the piece, your work never fails to impress. It's a really nice and "alive" track. I was expecting a simple evolving drone, but you gave us much more.

Would it be possible to see a picture of your modular setup, in the coming weeks?

January 16, 2020 12:13 am
joshvishnu wrote:

beautiful!!!

Thank you!

laguna wrote:

It's great to see you back in 2020, Scott!!!

About the piece, your work never fails to impress. It's a really nice and "alive" track. I was expecting a simple evolving drone, but you gave us much more.

Would it be possible to see a picture of your modular setup, in the coming weeks?

It's great to see you too, Laguna! Yeah the ambient kit is being cultivated and modified and so on to work scoring a yoga session live. Improvisational and generative, all that. I can post a pic! I keep telling myself I'm going to set up a nice camera angle and record these takes but it doesn't happen and it doesn't happen and clearly I need to plan for it. Next one I do with this setup should get a vid!

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up