Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Ryan's music / Orrdoo Dog Does.

Orrdoo Dog Does.

By Ryan on March 8, 2020 2:12 pm


Still struggling in a big way to find time to make music at the moment. Plenty of ideas but that's about it. Oh well.


I did manage to solder together a Fates synth this week though. This cool little unit is a clone of the Monome Norns, a kind of open source development platform for effects, sequencers, samplers pretty much anything. This is a short jam between the modular and a patch that contains a dual looper and a kinetic sequencer.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
March 9, 2020 12:32 am

I like how it starts off sounding like a bunch of clocks chiming and then warps into something more chaotic as it progresses. 

March 9, 2020 1:21 am

I've always liked that sound that is like a tape being played backwards, especially when you can wrangle it into something melodic. I was feeling that kind of vibe here.

On a side note, I really like getting a chance to hear what people are making when they're feeling pressured, out of ideas, or just experimenting. It's really inspiring.

March 9, 2020 2:32 am

So the dual looper is in the Fates?  Pretty damn cool.  Might have to get one at some stage.  Fun little box.


hent03 wrote:

I've always liked that sound that is like a tape being played backwards, especially when you can wrangle it into something melodic. I was feeling that kind of vibe here.

On a side note, I really like getting a chance to hear what people are making when they're feeling pressured, out of ideas, or just experimenting. It's really inspiring.

Hengtee, that kinetic sequencer Ryan is talking about would be a little bit like the Tombola sequencer in the OP-1 in case you're curious smile

March 9, 2020 11:57 am
CosmicCairns wrote:

I like how it starts off sounding like a bunch of clocks chiming and then warps into something more chaotic as it progresses.

Yes, this looper has some cool artifacts that create all of these tape-like mechanical noises which I like.

hent03 wrote:

I've always liked that sound that is like a tape being played backwards, especially when you can wrangle it into something melodic. I was feeling that kind of vibe here.

On a side note, I really like getting a chance to hear what people are making when they're feeling pressured, out of ideas, or just experimenting. It's really inspiring.

Thank you, this was very last minute which i promised myself I would not do this year, but I think it was still worth submitting.

rdomain wrote:

So the dual looper is in the Fates?  Pretty damn cool.  Might have to get one at some stage.  Fun little box.


hent03 wrote:

I've always liked that sound that is like a tape being played backwards, especially when you can wrangle it into something melodic. I was feeling that kind of vibe here.

On a side note, I really like getting a chance to hear what people are making when they're feeling pressured, out of ideas, or just experimenting. It's really inspiring.

Hengtee, that kinetic sequencer Ryan is talking about would be a little bit like the Tombola sequencer in the OP-1 in case you're curious smile

Yes this script contains 2 independent loopers and the kinetic sequencer effects play speed, direction and start and end times for both loops, I am gonna try it with something more rhythmical like drums too which I think would be cool. This was all recorded straight from the modular too, the Fates sends and receives modular-level signals like a champ.

March 9, 2020 8:09 pm

Satisfying! The transition from start to finish was satisfying.

March 10, 2020 10:49 pm


cool piece!  great sounds!

March 11, 2020 5:27 pm

Lovely tones, I visualized ice melting and every note like a drop of water falling and sliding off the vegetation coming back from the winter. Got me in a nice meditative state smile

March 11, 2020 9:36 pm

Trippy fun!

March 11, 2020 11:26 pm

This texture is amazing. Those clocky bell sounds have so much tension in an elastic, Hooke's Law kind of way. It feels like bending back a pliable stick and then releasing it so that it snaps back and hits a big bell. It's exactly what I would expect a "kinetic sequencer" to sound like.

March 20, 2020 3:52 pm

Really enjoyed the clock-coming-to-life feel this has.  I wish I knew how to solder properly!

March 22, 2020 8:35 pm

What? really you builded the fates?
I thought about ordering the pcb and display kit some weeks ago... but i forgot about it...
I think i saw it directly on the monome site... but now it seems to be gone... where you got it from.
Hearing this makes me want to own one  smile

March 28, 2020 10:03 am

not familiar with the synths you mention, but super cool sonic manipulations

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up