WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Ryan's music / Cactus Man's Gloopey Glue

Cactus Man's Gloopey Glue

By Ryan on January 4, 2020 4:34 am

Hello Weeklybeats friends!

This is my 3rd time as a WeeklyBeater, in 2012 I completed 52 tracks as required, in 2018 I did not make it past July but I did write 26 consecutive surf guitar instrumentals so give me some credit.

This year will be a lot of Digitakt and a lot of modular synth. Maybe a surf song if there are enough requests.

This track was made entirely on the Elektron Digitakt. I want to commit the entire month of January to collecting samples and getting to know this machine better.

Good luck to everyone! I hope we all get something valuable out of this experience.

January 6, 2020 12:29 am

Welcome back!  I would definitely love to hear some more of your surf music this year at some point.  But I do enjoy the glitchy ambience you've created here as well.  Follow the creative muse wherever it takes you!

January 6, 2020 12:43 am

Good to have you back! This is indeed quite different from what I'm used to from you but I like it, put me in a chill mood! Curious to see where you take us next! smile

January 6, 2020 1:35 am

January 6, 2020 1:53 am

Loving the broken/wobbly tape sound to this.  Comforting and alien, like the dreams of a robot powering down.

January 6, 2020 8:14 am

Absolutely dreamy and perfectly relaxing. Great to see you back, I was a bit heartbroken when I wasn't getting my weekly dose for the end of 2018. A return to the beach would go down a treat, but to be honest so does this so it's up to you. Good luck this year heart

January 6, 2020 11:38 am

A lot of subtle tracks this first week. But this is definitely one of my fave's!

January 6, 2020 11:19 pm

I REQUEST SURF

but how did you get this warble on Digitakt?

January 6, 2020 11:19 pm

u wanna start a Digitakt/surf band with me? smile

January 7, 2020 11:15 am
CosmicCairns wrote:

Thanks! I'm excited for this year, it's good to be back

Judgement Act wrote:

onezero wrote:

I really wished I'd called this Dreams of a Robot Powering Down now...

hieme wrote:

Absolutely dreamy and perfectly relaxing. Great to see you back, I was a bit heartbroken when I wasn't getting my weekly dose for the end of 2018. A return to the beach would go down a treat, but to be honest so does this so it's up to you. Good luck this year <3

Yeah those surf songs really took it out of me. As I'm not a guitarist it was taking me all week to learn how to play those parts, let alone write them and record them. I got burnt out in the end.

dj someguy wrote:

Thank you so much!

orangedrink wrote:

I REQUEST SURF

but how did you get this warble on Digitakt?

Some of the warble comes from modulating the pitch and manipulating filter envelopes with a related shape but most of it is just the source material.

orangedrink wrote:

u wanna start a Digitakt/surf band with me? smile

I thought you'd never ask.

In light of these  requests I promise to make the last week of every month "Surf Week".

Better start practicing guitar again...

January 7, 2020 5:45 pm

nice!

January 8, 2020 3:31 am

Nice and chill. I was expecting surf, so this a surprise. Cool sounds. Here's to many beats and burritos in 2020.

January 9, 2020 5:06 pm

Sweet chill vibes coming from the digitakt.  I want one of those so bad!  I too enjoyed your surf tracks and was deeply saddened when week 27 came around! tongue Mayhaps a bit of both?  Lo-SurFi? Surfhop? Yes...

January 10, 2020 4:42 am

ah shit

January 10, 2020 8:05 am
Tone Matrix wrote:

Yeah, 6 months of surf really took it out of me. I'm going to try and do one surf tune a month to keep everyone happy.

george bowles wrote:

ah shit

I didn't think it was that bad

January 10, 2020 7:50 pm

very niiiice

January 12, 2020 3:33 am

This is deliciously groovy. really enjoyed this

January 12, 2020 5:28 am

Love the warble/hiss and that kick is deeeeep.  Nice work!

January 12, 2020 4:10 pm

I remember that surf, that was interesting.

This on the other hand is pretty relaxing.

January 12, 2020 10:04 pm

Dreamy and deliciously loose. It's impressive how much depth you pulled out of the samples with just one little machine and seemingly not a lot of processing.

January 13, 2020 12:54 am
george bowles wrote:

very niiiice

Thanks George!

cfurrow wrote:

This is deliciously groovy. really enjoyed this

Thanks so much! I find it such a challenge to write interesting grooves but this was a fun piece.

rdomain wrote:

Love the warble/hiss and that kick is deeeeep.  Nice work!

Thanks brother. Yeah I was quite surprised how beefy that kick came out in mastering. ooooof!

Devieus wrote:

I remember that surf, that was interesting.

This on the other hand is pretty relaxing.

Thanks Devieus! Excited to hear your experiments this year!

license wrote:

Thanks you so much. I love the Digitakt. I had previously owned an Octatrack which is such a powerhouse of a machine but I really love the immediacy the digitakt. I also love how it sounds.

January 19, 2020 4:48 pm

yay welcome back!  also a fan of surf!

February 7, 2020 11:19 pm