WeeklyBeats.com / Music / roboctopus's music / Lock in the Groove and Send in the Flutes

Lock in the Groove and Send in the Flutes

By roboctopus on February 2, 2020 3:22 pm

Ugh, not much time this week. Working overtime and ran out time. hmm

This week I wanted to try something different. When sampling, I usually try to get a pretty smooth sound--looping bars of a song and layering different sounds over it to create something. I wanted to try working with smaller snippets of sound, and limit myself to a single source.

I sampled the first 16 seconds and then 16 seconds from later in this track:

I sliced everything into individual hits--bass notes, kicks and snares, flutes, rhodes--and re-sequenced everything. This was a pretty different way of working for me, but it was quite fun. I'll certainly try this in the future.

I wish it had some wavy synth and some vocal samples, but since I was limiting myself to one sample source, I didn't have access to anything that was satisfactory. Though, I guess I could have turned a snippet into a single-cycle waveform and created a synth sound that way. But, ran out of time.

February 3, 2020 6:47 am

you definitely locked in the groove! nice sample chops. it's definitely tempting to want to keep adding more when sampling like this, but this tune feels pretty full as-is. sometimes less is more

February 4, 2020 9:04 pm

Really digging that groove.

February 5, 2020 9:56 am

Nice, feeling some distant Kerrier District vibes on this. Interesting little challenge, cool new take on parts from an existing song. That heavy breathing kick-snare could've maybe used a bit of a faster decay, gets a little tiresome to listen to the entire track

February 5, 2020 4:19 pm

oooo super groovy, love this!

February 6, 2020 10:08 pm

February 7, 2020 11:33 pm

I'm fond of the fun and funky flute and have faith that further fantastic flute inclusion would be fresh.

February 10, 2020 3:53 pm

Like that wha wha filter effect. Flutes and guitar samples give it a solid 70s vibe. The groove is totally locked in!

February 13, 2020 5:08 am

Nailed the groovinees! Sounds like something Earth, Wind, and Fire would hop on.

February 17, 2020 7:37 pm