Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Reilly Farrell's music / resilience & smolder

resilience & smolder

By Reilly Farrell on September 13, 2020 8:40 pm

Waking up with headaches to skies the color of harvest moons was an eerie change of pace this week. The skies are beginning to clear up where I am, but in other parts of the impacted states, conditions have been and remain even worse. West coast friends, hang in there. (That actually goes for everybody, wherever you are.)
**
It's been a frustrating week on a personal level. I'm not improving the way I wish I were, either in school or in music-making (this week's submission isn't one I'm too proud of). But I'm lucky to even have a chance to try to do either, so I've got to make the most of the opportunity I've got.
**
Stay safe, stay healthy, and salivate over Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. And hey – just a couple more weeks to go 'till we're at the 75% done mark. Take care everyone!

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
September 14, 2020 12:24 am

Living abroad, it is hard to gauge the extent of the impact. I remember the news about Hawaii volcano but when you looked at a map, it was just a small area affected. Looking at the impact in the US, it was CRAZY - hundreds of miles, from south to north. That is really apocalyptic. Stay safe! 2020 is setting a baseline in terms of general suckiness.

This has a nice atmosphere, maybe some EQing could help in letting some of the cool layers stand out a little more - I am thinking for instance of the arpeggio synth that you can hear from around 2:00.

Good luck with everything!

September 14, 2020 2:53 am

Stay safe man, I heard its nuts out that way!  Glad nothings stopping you from writing music, this is a really cool tune.  Great orchestration.

September 14, 2020 4:50 am

I’m sorry to hear that you’re not improving as much as you thought you would. My unsolicited advice: trust in the progress you made and accept that the next step might take a little longer to than anticipated. You got this man!!

Sweet track; love the chorus.

September 14, 2020 6:54 am

Look how sad this air quality map is:



I actually feel like this track is quite beautiful.  I like the big wash - kind of like the dust in the air.  The flute is really emotive.  Really enjoyed the vocalization at the end.  Sorry to hear you weren't as happy with this.  I won't tell you that it's one of my favorites then smile

September 14, 2020 1:01 pm

I like the song and the mix, too. hope your frustration will disappear soon.

September 14, 2020 3:30 pm

Reilly Farrell goes funeral doom metal, woot! Seriously, if those guitars in the begining were more forward in the mix with an equally distorted bass and mournful sounding singing/growling this would be a shoe in for the genre. (Eg. Colosseum - Corridors of Desolation)

I've had some ups and downs this year too but I normally find that I'm not as displeased with a song as I thought I was at the time when I revisit it later. Hopefully the same will be true for you as well, I think this song is cool and maybe the distorted guitars are just so different from your norm that they haven't grown on you yet. If you'd be down, maybe I can record guitar stuff for you sometime.

September 16, 2020 1:57 am

September 16, 2020 9:35 am

It's beautiful though, all these synths playing these dramatic parts, even a sad voice in there. Hang in there.

September 20, 2020 3:19 pm
Kedbreak136 wrote:

Living abroad, it is hard to gauge the extent of the impact. I remember the news about Hawaii volcano but when you looked at a map, it was just a small area affected. Looking at the impact in the US, it was CRAZY - hundreds of miles, from south to north. That is really apocalyptic. Stay safe! 2020 is setting a baseline in terms of general suckiness.

This has a nice atmosphere, maybe some EQing could help in letting some of the cool layers stand out a little more - I am thinking for instance of the arpeggio synth that you can hear from around 2:00.

Good luck with everything!


Totally agreed, 2020 has been a year of all kinds of misfortune. sad You stay safe too, and thank you for the feedback!

Chrisfoo wrote:

Stay safe man, I heard its nuts out that way!  Glad nothings stopping you from writing music, this is a really cool tune.  Great orchestration.


Thanks for the feedback and well-wishes! Things cleared up earlier in the week where I am. We were lucky that thick smoke and orange skies were the worst we've had to deal with so far. There've been horrifying stories from other parts of the coast that were more directly hit. Feels like there's danger everywhere these days, so you stay safe too! I'm just glad everyone's managed to keep WeeklyBeats going in spite of 2020 being what it is, even if people need to step away for a bit sometimes.

Mission Crossing wrote:

I’m sorry to hear that you’re not improving as much as you thought you would. My unsolicited advice: trust in the progress you made and accept that the next step might take a little longer to than anticipated. You got this man!!

Sweet track; love the chorus.


I really appreciate hearing that. smile Thanks for the feedback and encouragement!

orangedrink wrote:

Look how sad this air quality map is:



I actually feel like this track is quite beautiful.  I like the big wash - kind of like the dust in the air.  The flute is really emotive.  Really enjoyed the vocalization at the end.  Sorry to hear you weren't as happy with this.  I won't tell you that it's one of my favorites then smile


Wait, really? Neat! Thanks so much for letting me know! smile At least coming up with the chord progression and arrangement felt therapeutic, so in the end I'm glad I worked on this one.
And wow, that map really put the situation into perspective. It's grim, but thanks for sharing it.

Q-Rosh wrote:

I like the song and the mix, too. hope your frustration will disappear soon.


Much appreciated. Thank you!

ViridianLoom wrote:

Reilly Farrell goes funeral doom metal, woot! Seriously, if those guitars in the begining were more forward in the mix with an equally distorted bass and mournful sounding singing/growling this would be a shoe in for the genre. (Eg. Colosseum - Corridors of Desolation)

I've had some ups and downs this year too but I normally find that I'm not as displeased with a song as I thought I was at the time when I revisit it later. Hopefully the same will be true for you as well, I think this song is cool and maybe the distorted guitars are just so different from your norm that they haven't grown on you yet. If you'd be down, maybe I can record guitar stuff for you sometime.


I'd totally be down - that'd be so cool! Your guitar skills are something else. smile Hopefully I can come up with a track worthy of those skills a little later in the year!
Also, thanks for the reminder that sometimes you just have to step away from a track to learn to appreciate it again. And I have to admit, I had no idea funeral metal was a genre, but I listened to Scream Silence and I Like Trains growing up and the Colosseum track reminds of that a bit.

Ipaghost wrote:


See that, 2020? That's the good kind of smolder. You're giving us the bad kind. Stop being terrible, 2020.

Devieus wrote:

It's beautiful though, all these synths playing these dramatic parts, even a sad voice in there. Hang in there.


Thanks Devieus. You too. smile

September 20, 2020 3:21 pm
Kedbreak136 wrote:

Living abroad, it is hard to gauge the extent of the impact. I remember the news about Hawaii volcano but when you looked at a map, it was just a small area affected. Looking at the impact in the US, it was CRAZY - hundreds of miles, from south to north. That is really apocalyptic. Stay safe! 2020 is setting a baseline in terms of general suckiness.

This has a nice atmosphere, maybe some EQing could help in letting some of the cool layers stand out a little more - I am thinking for instance of the arpeggio synth that you can hear from around 2:00.

Good luck with everything!

Chrisfoo wrote:

Stay safe man, I heard its nuts out that way!  Glad nothings stopping you from writing music, this is a really cool tune.  Great orchestration.

Mission Crossing wrote:

I’m sorry to hear that you’re not improving as much as you thought you would. My unsolicited advice: trust in the progress you made and accept that the next step might take a little longer to than anticipated. You got this man!!

Sweet track; love the chorus.

orangedrink wrote:

Look how sad this air quality map is:



I actually feel like this track is quite beautiful.  I like the big wash - kind of like the dust in the air.  The flute is really emotive.  Really enjoyed the vocalization at the end.  Sorry to hear you weren't as happy with this.  I won't tell you that it's one of my favorites then smile

Q-Rosh wrote:

I like the song and the mix, too. hope your frustration will disappear soon.

ViridianLoom wrote:

Reilly Farrell goes funeral doom metal, woot! Seriously, if those guitars in the begining were more forward in the mix with an equally distorted bass and mournful sounding singing/growling this would be a shoe in for the genre. (Eg. Colosseum - Corridors of Desolation)

I've had some ups and downs this year too but I normally find that I'm not as displeased with a song as I thought I was at the time when I revisit it later. Hopefully the same will be true for you as well, I think this song is cool and maybe the distorted guitars are just so different from your norm that they haven't grown on you yet. If you'd be down, maybe I can record guitar stuff for you sometime.

Ipaghost wrote:

Devieus wrote:

It's beautiful though, all these synths playing these dramatic parts, even a sad voice in there. Hang in there.


One more thing: you folks are the best. Your music and comments really got me through last week. Take care everybody! smile

September 20, 2020 4:10 pm
Reilly Farrell wrote:


One more thing: you folks are the best. Your music and comments really got me through last week. Take care everybody! smile


Keep on rollin'!

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up