Weeklybeats 2018 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

Yung Grandpa

By orangedrink on January 14, 2018 10:24 pm

First rap of 2018!  Tried to keep it simple with a 16 bar section and not worry about anything else.  If I do 12 two minute pieces, I can have a cool rap mixtape at the end of the year.  I hooked up my MixtrackPro and did some “scratching” of my own voice, which is a dream I’ve had since I was a kid smile


The music was created by remixing elements of a song that has yet to be released, which I make reference to in the first stanza.  I really enjoy doing what I just learned is called “assonant rhyme”, where you rhyme the vowel sound. e.g. basement-making, low-tone-note-zoned, relax-cap


The difficulty in mixing the song was the fact that there is a constant bass note, as well as a drone of the vocal sample - which is competing with my rap.  I mixed down the instrumental (with the background vocals) first, then reduced the EQ with a notch where my vocal performance sat.  I think it really helped.  This is a good “Orange Drink Mix” because it has acoustic guitar and electronic beats/bass, in the context of a rap song.


I’ve never had an MC name before, but now that I’m a step grandfather(!), I think “Yung Grandpa” is unbelievably fitting.  Grandpa Hemlock is my Street Fighter online name, which can be another alias (Hemlock Records is the name of my label).  And obviously the paradox of young and grandpa is pretty funny, which is literally my situation!


I’m really happy with this finished product and I think this is far and beyond my last rap song in 2016: https://weeklybeats.com/orangedrink/music/[untitled-rap-song]


Ask the audience: Are the vocals loud/clear enough?  How do we like the new moniker?


Lyrics:

it’s ya boy Yung Grandpa coming back up again
from the basement making music tell a friend
go in the future; travel in a lear jet
sample a track that hasn’t even been released yet


got that low bass tone drone note zoned out
pay myself money for my beat cuz it’s loaned out
grab the microphone and you know i’m bringing the heater
i’m playing my guitar and then i’m hitting the repeater


it’s that OD style where there is none
can another band anywhere remotely sound like this one?
so chilled out my water bottle’s all ice
senior citizens agree ya boy is mad nice


cuz i’m like that, relax with a straight edge night cap
greet the grandkids after school with a snack pack
I do a little shuffle and i’m shaking off the haters
remember the name cuz you’ll be screaming it later


this is orange drink.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike (BY-NC-SA)

  • Play
  • Download
January 15, 2018 12:34 am

Badd Ass... made my day! Great rhyme method. Liking and downloading.

January 15, 2018 4:37 am

dope

January 15, 2018 5:23 am

Cool track.  I like the backing tracks a lot and the scratching is dope.  I remember listening to that rap track in 2016 and this does sound like a progression beyond.  I remain super impressed by the diversity of your output!

January 15, 2018 5:53 am

orangedrink, you're quickly becoming a fave of mine this year (after only two songs!)

January 15, 2018 7:45 am

nice - well done smile

January 15, 2018 9:04 am

wicked! I like it!

January 15, 2018 9:20 am

bahaha.. love the scratching

January 15, 2018 10:17 am

Man this is dope smile Vocals sound might better this week big_smile

January 15, 2018 11:14 am

Yeah man this one is dope, the scatches are quite nice!
I would maybe have done some breaks with some realy hard hitting Accoustic drums, to loosen up the constant bass and drone like background vocals.

Third time on repeat now wink

January 15, 2018 11:37 am

This is so great OD. I enjoy this moment, that make me happy to be here at weeklybeats right now and get flashed by your raps.
Thanks!(and sorry for my bad English)!

January 15, 2018 11:48 am

Man, this was killer. I know wish to "sample a song that hasn't even released yet"!!!

So dope. That's the attitude

January 15, 2018 1:57 pm

Reminds be a bit of old Beck stuff for some reason?!  Groovey stuff - and fresh to hear some totally fresh stuff ;-)  Good luck this year!

January 15, 2018 2:03 pm
cTrix wrote:

Reminds be a bit of old Beck stuff for some reason?!  Groovey stuff - and fresh to hear some totally fresh stuff ;-)  Good luck this year!

thank you for this! I knew it reminded me of something. It has that "beercan" kinda vibe, indeed!
senior citizens agree ya mad boy is mad nice ... haha, like that!!
Love the rap over the humming vocals, that gives it a nice lofi type of feeling. Kudos!

January 15, 2018 2:14 pm

yeah! total beck vibes but even more goofy

January 15, 2018 5:10 pm

Definitely ready for prime time. And very good rap.

January 15, 2018 8:48 pm

Didn’t know you could get any better, but this is dope.

January 15, 2018 10:54 pm

Super cool

January 15, 2018 11:54 pm

I'm all about that snack pack life

January 16, 2018 5:02 am

This was great, you have already set your bar quite high two tracks in, I’m from the era when lyrics mattered in hip hop, “sampled a track that hasn’t even been released yet”, that line would make rakim, krs-one, guru etc... proud

January 16, 2018 8:19 pm

Diversity! *sXe nightcap*

January 16, 2018 8:20 pm

Double Platinum. No Features.

For real tho, I am so constantly blown away by how prolific you are. I'd love to see you make more in this vein or even keep going with this track. Add a droney hook and a chorus about how Yung Grandpas are all over the world.

January 17, 2018 1:15 am

I too love sampling tracks that haven't been released yet! Love that line --- Super fun track, big ups to the Yung Gramps!!

January 17, 2018 7:38 am

Really cOoL! Love it man smile I hope this gif thing works (been a while since I tried the gif comment trick)

January 17, 2018 11:16 pm

Sounds great!

January 18, 2018 5:45 pm

awesome retro feel to the vocals and beat, nice job! smile

January 18, 2018 7:44 pm

sick! looking forward to more tongue

January 21, 2018 5:06 pm

Cool lyrics and echoing vocals. Loud and clear enough. Yung Grandpa sounds great for a name. Fav.

January 21, 2018 6:37 pm

this is super fun "Yung Grandpa!"  - good job!

January 22, 2018 2:31 am

Hypnotic!

January 23, 2018 5:32 am

I missed this until now but later on in the year we should do a track together

February 10, 2018 2:07 am
NWSPR wrote:

Badd Ass... made my day! Great rhyme method. Liking and downloading.

budmelvin wrote:

dope

Thank you both!

CosmicCairns wrote:

Cool track.  I like the backing tracks a lot and the scratching is dope.  I remember listening to that rap track in 2016 and this does sound like a progression beyond.  I remain super impressed by the diversity of your output!

Thanks for those words.  Trying to get a little better each time!

scottux wrote:

orangedrink, you're quickly becoming a fave of mine this year (after only two songs!)

*hearts*

mazurkorn wrote:

wicked! I like it!

Phil Harmonic wrote:

bahaha.. love the scratching

CatchinAshes wrote:

Man this is dope smile Vocals sound might better this week big_smile

Thanks homies!

theGuen wrote:

Yeah man this one is dope, the scatches are quite nice!
I would maybe have done some breaks with some realy hard hitting Accoustic drums, to loosen up the constant bass and drone like background vocals.

Third time on repeat now wink

On repeat!  Huge compliment.  Yeah, I feel like on the mixtape that would be good to switch up the beats with something like acoustic drums.

Q-Rosh wrote:

This is so great OD. I enjoy this moment, that make me happy to be here at weeklybeats right now and get flashed by your raps.
Thanks!(and sorry for my bad English)!

Your English is awesome (are you not a native speaker?  I had no idea!) and I hope to flash you with raps in the future smile

laguna wrote:

Man, this was killer. I know wish to "sample a song that hasn't even released yet"!!!

So dope. That's the attitude

Thanks - looking forward to finishing that track sometime this year for WB!

cTrix wrote:

Reminds be a bit of old Beck stuff for some reason?!  Groovey stuff - and fresh to hear some totally fresh stuff ;-)  Good luck this year!

dj someguy wrote:


thank you for this! I knew it reminded me of something. It has that "beercan" kinda vibe, indeed!
senior citizens agree ya mad boy is mad nice ... haha, like that!!
Love the rap over the humming vocals, that gives it a nice lofi type of feeling. Kudos!

minikomi wrote:

yeah! total beck vibes but even more goofy

AHH!  Beck is like, my absolute favorite so if I sound like him THANK YOU.  DJ Someguy, that was my favorite line smile

Jim Wood wrote:

Definitely ready for prime time. And very good rap.

Thank you!

February 10, 2018 2:16 am
E-dub wrote:

Didn’t know you could get any better, but this is dope.

Flattered!  Let's do more raps this year, MC E-Dub!

I_See_Drones wrote:

Super cool

Thanks!

Parallelis wrote:

I'm all about that snack pack life

bwahahaha that is the cutest kid, and I assume he is a huge hip-hop fan

Jason Nijjer wrote:

This was great, you have already set your bar quite high two tracks in, I’m from the era when lyrics mattered in hip hop, “sampled a track that hasn’t even been released yet”, that line would make rakim, krs-one, guru etc... proud

Whoa.  That is a really intense compliment.  Thank you.

Nestrogen wrote:

Diversity! *sXe nightcap*

XXX smile

mechlo wrote:

Double Platinum. No Features.

For real tho, I am so constantly blown away by how prolific you are. I'd love to see you make more in this vein or even keep going with this track. Add a droney hook and a chorus about how Yung Grandpas are all over the world.

You are my dude, you inspire me to keep going!

miraclemiles wrote:

I too love sampling tracks that haven't been released yet! Love that line --- Super fun track, big ups to the Yung Gramps!!

Thank you!

Podling wrote:

Really cOoL! Love it man smile I hope this gif thing works (been a while since I tried the gif comment trick)

Excellent dancers and thank you!

Usagi521 wrote:

Sounds great!

Tone Matrix wrote:

awesome retro feel to the vocals and beat, nice job! smile

Tri Angles wrote:

sick! looking forward to more tongue

Coauctor wrote:

Cool lyrics and echoing vocals. Loud and clear enough. Yung Grandpa sounds great for a name. Fav.

Thanks and thanks for the co-sign on the name, I think I will keep it!

kaedo sevaada wrote:

this is super fun "Yung Grandpa!"  - good job!

I love skateboarding so I hope to be like this when I am that guy's age!

license wrote:

Hypnotic!

Thanks!

Saskrotch wrote:

I missed this until now but later on in the year we should do a track together

You know you've arrived when you get the fabled Saskrotch collab invite!!  WOO HOO!  *confetti*

February 15, 2018 4:47 pm

This piece is awesome!


April 8, 2018 7:59 pm
m2K7 wrote:

This piece is awesome!

Thank you so much!!

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up