WeeklyBeats.com / Music / orangedrink's music / We Can Die If We Want To

We Can Die If We Want To

By orangedrink on April 5, 2020 11:56 pm

I had 1:45 until the deadline, and I asked my husband to pick the instruments and basically issue me a challenge!  His requirements:

- Happy Song
- Use the Model:Cycles
- 12-String guitar
- Lyrics

So here it is!  I tried to write a happy song, while keeping dark themes as much as possible smile  This was fun but super crazy.  I don't think I've ever done anything this quickly.  Lot of errors and mixing issues but nobody on WB cares!  That's why I love you folks.  I'll definitely touch up the mix before public release.  But I'm really happy with this.  You can interpret the song as a person happily accepting their fate as they kill themselves OR you can think of it as someone walking away from the prison of self-hatred, finally accepting life, with a smile on their face.

The studio was TRASHED after Friday night's online show!  Thanks to everyone who watched it - replay can be found on http://youtube.com/c/orangedrinkmusic or https://www.twitch.tv/orangedrinkmusic PLEASE SUBSCRIBE - I'll do another show on Friday, April 17th.

The end of the song was supposed to have a chorus of "We Can Die If We Want To" but it might be cooler (and spookier) if the title of the song is never spoken, but implied.  The vocal choir at the end - hard to explain this, but y'all will understand - all of my feelings about what's been going on, all my fear and anxiety, all my hope and faith, all my anger and joy - I put ALL OF IT into those four notes at the end (two voices, each singing two notes, the second note is shared)

Love you all!

LYRICS:

Look where we are
I don't hate everything anymore
I have never been grateful before

All of my time
I'm leaving everything all of it behind
I am ready to walk out the door

Everything's fine
Nothing is perfect and I don't mind
I never saw anything ever before

And when we die
We'll be together, endless in time
Laughing out loud as I walk through the door

April 6, 2020 12:18 am

It has that spontaneous magic energy that only working under an insane time crunch.  There's a raw quality to the vocals that's really nice.

#shoutback to people who write fun tags

April 6, 2020 12:19 am

i like the vocals !

April 6, 2020 3:08 am

"I have never been grateful before" is a great lyric.

April 6, 2020 9:47 am

you are a gifted songwriter. Yes, you are.

April 6, 2020 10:14 am

1.5 hours? That's impressive!
Love the harmonies towards the end. Am a total sucker for that - nice and poppy, a bit beatle-esque.
Good stuff!

April 6, 2020 7:26 pm
CosmicCairns wrote:

#shoutback to people who write fun tags

Thanks so much.  I think the vocals are raw because I played a show on Friday (via webcam) where I did a lot of singing and I didn't really warm up for the show.  End result, sore vocal chords on Sunday, but it really did kind of add a nice flavor!

Anthony D. wrote:

i like the vocals !

Thanks so kindly!  A little nervous with no warm up and no time to practice, I had to sing it as I wrote it!  Glad u liked it!

onidavin wrote:

"I have never been grateful before" is a great lyric.

This is so funny, that was the ONE LINE that I felt uncertain about.  It felt too "exposed" - but this confirmation really validates that I was on the right path.  Thank you so much for this comment. heart

Q-Rosh wrote:

you are a gifted songwriter. Yes, you are.

That means the world to me.  Me, crying tears of joy: sad

dj someguy wrote:

1.5 hours? That's impressive!
Good stuff!

AH so flattered that you even said the B word!  They are (maybe obviously) a huge influence.  You are soooo kind!  The harmonies at the end are my favorite part, I was just listening to that on loop for a while tongue

April 6, 2020 7:47 pm

Don't know how you pulled this off in 1:45. I hear no flaws.  Drums are super catch and you nailed the vocal.  Love that bouncy bass sound too.  The song has a happy up-beat tempo but with a melancholy feel in the vocal, and guitar.  Much enjoyed!  Also, great show on Friday. Looking forward to the next one!

April 6, 2020 11:17 pm

Damn. This is so good. My younger self would be incredibly jealous of your absurd amount of talent, but instead I'm just grateful to have a nice tune to listen to. My only complaint is not having an album worth of stuff like this to listen to. Your hubby is a real muse.

April 7, 2020 2:00 am

Great vocals and lyrics, a pleasure to listen to, I’m going to think of it as “someone walking away from the prison of self-hatred, finally accepting life, with a smile on their face.”

April 7, 2020 10:22 am

Go hubs! And YOU! smile Has a touch of David Byrne... I likey smile tongue

April 7, 2020 7:07 pm

Good one! Great idea for challenge, and you pulled it off well! I'm going to watch the replay of you live stream, looking forward to it. Everything's fine, yeah, I'll go with the happy interpretation of this. Love the do, do do melody.

April 8, 2020 4:53 am

this is amazing! particularly love the melodic doubling with the voice and guitar. love to see the last minute composition style big_smile

April 9, 2020 2:09 am

I have no clue how you wrote and recorded this in under two hours. Well done - its catchy, its well arranged, and it doesn't sound rushed at ALL.

April 10, 2020 7:16 pm

It's not that we don't care, we do, we just like it for the raw expression that gets polished out during post. It's real, it's legit.

April 10, 2020 11:48 pm
Devieus wrote:

crying tears of joy

April 11, 2020 10:11 pm

April 13, 2020 1:13 am

Great show last week! This track is super awesome. The guitar melody + vocal layering is really cool, especially the choir part at the end. The content of the song is dark/melancholy, but the bright, energetic, and forward production (and time crunch?) gives it an upbeat/spontaneous feeling. Gonna hit play a couple more times

April 19, 2020 10:40 am

Excellent, you smashed the challenge big time.

April 19, 2020 10:41 am

Great vocals too, really well done.

April 23, 2020 2:43 pm

Your songwriting skills (especially under time constraints) are on fyah!  Really enjoy the vocal dooos.  Gave me some Beach Boys vibes smile

May 2, 2020 5:09 pm

Great announcement from your Husband.
I agree wto.
Wunderbar melancholic, but a Happy Song!