WeeklyBeats.com / Music / orangedrink's music / Repeating The Same Mistakes

Repeating The Same Mistakes

By orangedrink on February 9, 2020 11:34 pm

I finished before Sunday!  I am uploading on Sunday, but I actually finished this on Friday.  It's great to have a "weekend".

I am stuck in this loop of staying up late, eating junk food, waking up late with a stomachache, hating myself, feeling like I need to do something to relax/have fun, which makes me feel entitled to stay up late and eat junk food.

FUN!

But I'm trying to get help by talking to some supportive mental health allies and coming up with strategies that I can implement to avoid bad habits.

The song title has to do with that, and the fact that I don't know how to use my Arturia Keystep, and I accidentally put silent notes into my arpeggiated sequence and those got repeated in a weird pattern.  But I thought it was fun!  So I'm literally and figuratively repeating the same mistakes.  Not that am I anything like him, but I really love Aphex Twin and a lot of things that I do, I do to try to be like him.  There is one pitched down snare drum on the drum loop and that's supposed to be an AFX move.

All electronics from Ableton.  The drum loop is from an Ableton pack, and then I did some repeat edits, reverse, and the one pitch down snare.  Jazzmaster at the end, and there is single sample of my voice and acoustic guitar (singing the word "time") from the song "All These Things In Time" which is on my new album, This Is Orange Drink  orangedrink.bandcamp.com

It's snowing like crazy today!

February 10, 2020 6:02 am

Buddy. I share that vicious cycle believe it or not. My problem is that I would typically associate junk food with things I love i.e video games and making music, so one thing I've been trying to do is to just jump onto the game/guitar before I have a chance to go to the cupboard, if I get into it I will easily be distracted and forget that I was ever thirsty/hungry for something crap. If I'm really in the zone after a while I'll usually take a break to make a coffee or something, but I guess my main strategy is to not have the bad stuff in the house. Especially if it's snowing where you are! You'll soon get over your cravings if it means you have to drive to the store to get it in that weather haha. Double down on the activity, less cleaning up/washing hands to keep gear clean too! Awesome piece by the way!

February 10, 2020 5:26 pm

Sometime I try to improve, sometime I just don't even try... It is tough to (truly) learn from mistakes. I really like the track. Loads of layers, sounds like lots of work was done on this. Hope you can enjoy loads of fun weekends.

February 10, 2020 9:01 pm

Great sounds all around.  The mix and composition are super tight. I like where it broadens out after that midway filter effect.  Gradually gets bigger and sweeps in with the more lush layers of sound.  This is my new fav for the year so far. It's super tight and electronic while also warm and musical.  Very well done!   Unrelated to the song, I kind of do the same thing.  Stay up too late as a reward and binge on mental junk food like shit TV and pointless Quora posts.  I think more than anything, it is the lack of sleep that can lead to all the other bad stuff.  Still trying to get a handle on it myself.

February 11, 2020 7:12 pm

February 12, 2020 1:03 pm

This is fantastic! You did such a good job of developing all these different parts that then blended together so well at the end, impressive. Love the guitar.

February 12, 2020 11:53 pm
Tweaklab wrote:

Buddy. I share that vicious cycle believe it or not.

Awesome!  UH I mean, I'm glad that we can relate to each other, but I hate that we can.  I'm glad I'm not alone though.  WELL we should just hang out and play video games and music and then we won't worry about snacks, right??  See you next weekend then?

djippy wrote:

They say we are doomed to repeat the mistakes until we learn from them!  Thanks for the kind words - it wasn't a TON of work, but I'm glad it sounds that way!  I give most of the credit to the detailed production on that drum loop.  Interesting sub bass on the kick, and cool stereo shakers.

NWSPR wrote:

Wow - you are way too kind!  Glad you are into it.  I think I need to have a better boundary about scheduled relax and fun time, rather than schedule work, and then relax and have fun if I can.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   Please give me junk TV recommendations :-D

Ipaghost wrote:

It really matches the tune and tempo!

Ryan wrote:

Thanks so much for your attention!  Jazzmaster + Holy Grail Reverb = Surf 4 Life  I'm slowly learning how to play lead parts that aren't arpeggiated counterpoint melodies.  Kinda cool.  Glad that you are jumping around genre-wise as well!

February 13, 2020 1:46 am

This track really came together nicely. I enjoyed this a lot, and I feel you about the bad food loops. I feel you about the snare too! AFX perc is top. Ever give keto a shot?

February 13, 2020 8:11 pm

Love it. The guitar tone and the rhythms remind me of Idiot Pilot - any chance you're into them?

February 15, 2020 10:09 am

Well done. Everything fits and remains exciting. Love the guitar part.

February 15, 2020 10:58 am

Awesome sauce! I love how it all kind of melds into each other... boom!

February 15, 2020 7:03 pm

nice arps!

February 16, 2020 1:58 pm

Yes drums have an aphexness to them, similar to window licker, the guitar fits in nice and gives this an orangedrink sound.

February 16, 2020 11:58 pm

Congrats on finishing this early enough to have a weekend! Definitely know that cycle of staying up late + junk food (SOUR RIPS!!), I'm in that cycle now. The little silences in the arpeggio line make a really cool polyrhythm over the drums (these mistakes were planned??). That along with all the little filter sweeps and slow changing fx keeps the listener really engaged. And the addition of the guitars takes it into a really unique electro-post-rock territory (cue OD breakdance session)

February 18, 2020 8:06 pm

I is digging this. Propulsive and mesmerizing.  Mistakes happen, all we can try for is some improvement. Then there's happy accidents in music, always fun those are.

February 21, 2020 4:10 pm

Another awesome progression, I really dig those arps, they're hypnotic AF.  Part of it reminded me a bit of NIN's arps. I also totally relate to those repeating mistakes.  All too often!