Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

Night Trap

By orangedrink on October 25, 2020 10:09 pm

I haven't made a spooky soundscape in a long time, so here it is, to celebrate Halloween!  I had an idea of making a longer field recording of me walking through woods, then through a field, ending up at my doorstep, then walking down into the basement where this recording would be playing.  But I would want the recording to be distantly audible from the field, which would mean the recording would need to be BLASTING at full volume on the PA system, but then I wouldn't want it to be overloading the recording once I got closer to it.  So I'd need to remotely control the volume or something.  Clearly an idea for another time!


I did this on Reason - the Redrum (I pronounce it 'Red Rum' like in The Shining) drum machine is so good for this kind of stuff.  The Reason sample bank has some REALLY weird stuff.  It's so interesting to me how different machines and layouts make me think differently.  I could never do this in Ableton for some......reason.


This is an audio loop with a few volume swells and there is a white noise that has a frequency swell.  The end of the loop fades out while virtual tape compression is applied.  It was mastered quietly, but I think that's where it would sit on an actual album.  I'm imagining a haunted cabin in the woods, and this sound is emanating from the structure.



Picture of a cabin at Devil's Lake, Wisconsin - photograph by: https://www.instagram.com/stormchasincharlie/


I think my depression is slowly getting better!  I am thinking about doing a Halloween show which is giving me a lot of anxiety and making me.....depressed.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  I learned a new thing with my photo colorization and I'm really proud of this weeks' Derek Jacobi picture.  His birthday was last week heart heart heart


This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike (BY-NC-SA)

  • Play
  • Download
October 26, 2020 1:17 am

This really nails the spooky Halloween vibe and the picture of the cabin in the woods is a great visual accompaniment.   

October 26, 2020 3:28 am

Awesome, very creepy.  Haunted cabin vibes achieved.  Which part on here did you make on Reasons drum machine?  I've got that but I've never actually used it.  I definitely want to mess with it now though if you can use it to make some experimental sounds.

October 26, 2020 4:46 am
CosmicCairns wrote:

This really nails the spooky Halloween vibe and the picture of the cabin in the woods is a great visual accompaniment.

Thanks for listening!  I love that picture, so freaky!

Chrisfoo wrote:

Awesome, very creepy.  Haunted cabin vibes achieved.  Which part on here did you make on Reasons drum machine?  I've got that but I've never actually used it.  I definitely want to mess with it now though if you can use it to make some experimental sounds.

All of it except for the white noise!  I took all these samples, pitched them down, then placed them in different spots and had some repeat on top of each other.  It's less about the drum machine and Reason's wild sound library.  The white noise was made with the Maelstrom synth using an "air" patch.

October 26, 2020 2:24 pm

The dissonant panning was spooky. I dug this for sure. A mid-morning horror, haha.

October 26, 2020 3:47 pm

Neat soundscape - ominous and pretty all the same. Happy (Almost) Halloween!

October 26, 2020 8:24 pm

I am into microloops and drones from time to time, but never made a track out of it. Here you gave me a big inspiration for an experiment I should go for, as soon as possible. Thanks.

October 27, 2020 3:26 am

Spooky vibe achieved, I like how you did this with ReDrum, I use it quite often but typically for techno type beats, great idea pitching the samples way down.  Your original idea sounds really interesting, if you come up with a way to execute it I would love to hear it.

October 27, 2020 2:27 pm

Ominous spooky vibes with this one.  Really cool intricate sounds.  Sounded like a piano being plucked inside then reversed.  I appreciate your word play btw lol.  Also appreciated the Miami Vice Derek Jacobi tongue

October 27, 2020 8:52 pm
Jokinen wrote:

The dissonant panning was spooky. I dug this for sure. A mid-morning horror, haha.

Thank you!  Always tough to be spooky in the daytime smile

Reilly Farrell wrote:

Neat soundscape - ominous and pretty all the same. Happy (Almost) Halloween!

Thanks!  Yeah, I think in a different context it could be pretty and pleasant.  Happy SPOOKTOBER

Q-Rosh wrote:

I am into microloops and drones from time to time, but never made a track out of it. Here you gave me a big inspiration for an experiment I should go for, as soon as possible. Thanks.

Wonderful!  That's really flattering - can't wait to hear what you do, maybe for next week's WB?

Jason Nijjer wrote:

Spooky vibe achieved, I like how you did this with ReDrum, I use it quite often but typically for techno type beats, great idea pitching the samples way down.  Your original idea sounds really interesting, if you come up with a way to execute it I would love to hear it.

Pitch down samples, turn down tempo, turn up reverb, instant spooky vibes!  Thanks, maybe I will do the long idea one day!

Tone Matrix wrote:

Ominous spooky vibes with this one.  Really cool intricate sounds.  Sounded like a piano being plucked inside then reversed.  I appreciate your word play btw lol.  Also appreciated the Miami Vice Derek Jacobi tongue

lolz if anyone would enjoy dorky jokes I know I can depend on you for schtuff like that!  I think it's actually a koto!  oooh Miami Vice Derek Jacobi NAILED IT

October 28, 2020 11:27 am

I like the mix of drones and the small elements that have a more percussive nature. Not going near the cabin, nope.

October 29, 2020 8:10 pm

Lovely! Great soundscape! The experiment with the wood-walking sounds amazing, I think you should go for that sometime, Hallowe'en or no. Really hope you continue to get better with the depression man, it's cool that you're improving even if only a little. Lots of love heart

October 31, 2020 4:19 pm

Happy Halloween.

November 4, 2020 12:55 pm

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPY. Late to the party, but damn. WHAT A PARTY

November 5, 2020 5:30 am

I find this track pretty relaxing and enjoyable to listen to, which probably means I would walk right into that house and...probably not walk out. oops. definitely a siren song.

November 6, 2020 1:32 am

Yahs, is spooky. But also relaxing. Like I could be at a spa, and actually content to have this on while I get whatever done people at spas get done to themselves.

November 7, 2020 5:55 pm

Spooky! (Ha ha Red Rum). You got some nice layers going with a feeling of independent timing that is naturally disconcerting.  Perfect for Halloween or just freaking out the neighbors.

November 14, 2020 6:20 pm

I'm pretty sure this is the sound of Diva Plavalaguna.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up