Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

Cutaway

By NWSPR on June 14, 2020 11:58 pm

I spent 3 hours and give you 2 chords.  Not much time this week but I really wanted to feature my old Arp Quartet string machine I've never recorded with.  There are some groovy old are strings, celeste, organ, and a bit of brass. I only spent 10 minutes on the vocals and have not listened back because I'm out of time.  They're buried in the mix, so I'm sure it will be fine, right?  This is a rough one (lots of mistakes). 

My other usual cast of characters make appearances including Gibson Ripper bass guitar played in the style of OMD, marine band harmonica forever locked in the key of C, and the candy apple blue Reverend 6 string guitar played in the style of me. 

Hang in there kittens! We're nearing the halfway point!  See you in the comments.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
June 15, 2020 12:56 am

Well they're certainly a glorious 2 chords.  This sounds super positive and upbeat.  The harmonica is a great touch.  The vocals are present enough to register that they're there and that works.  I can't understand what you're saying, but that's actually true of lots of songs where the vocals are pushed up in the mix, too.  Sometimes it's just nice to hear a voice.  I'll just go ahead and assume the lyrics are a brilliant discourse on the state of the world.   

June 15, 2020 12:59 am

Nice man, a lot going on here.  The Arp Quartet sounds awesome, I bet thats a lot of fun to play around with.  Great bass tone on this too, it works really well on this track.  I'm almost getting a Tears for Fears vibe too.

June 15, 2020 1:28 am

Fantastic. Especially once the harmonica kicks in. smile

June 15, 2020 1:36 am

Two chords are enough. Everything sounds good on this one. Love the bass, the harmonica is great too. The 80's vibe is great at the beginning. Rock!

June 15, 2020 2:11 am

i also did 2 chords this week so don't feel too bad! love the new wave vox. harmonica was a lovely surprise big_smile

June 15, 2020 2:58 am

The harmonica was pretty dope. Made me realize I want to listen to more music with Harmonica.

June 15, 2020 5:55 am

I spent three days and got six chords this week so... you’re getting a much better ROI big_smile. Nice harmonica, it rocks! Do you mind posting the lyrics?

June 15, 2020 2:34 pm

Hell ya! This is great. Love the pace and the harmonica is great.

June 15, 2020 6:59 pm

The harmonica is back! Freakin love that thing haha.

June 15, 2020 7:33 pm

The instruments mold together really well. Two chords, but I'm not bored. Nice track. I'm feeling that bass guitar!

June 17, 2020 1:29 am

Bouncing along to some sweet sounds. Great short-time job on this one, good times. I like the vox, reminds me of something someone I can place, but good. And nice harp, guitar, good stuff. Style of OMD?

June 17, 2020 4:49 pm

2 chords is really just 4 chords with the latter two being the same as the former. What matters is how you use them. You use them really well. The harmonica too.

June 18, 2020 6:04 pm

An epic 2-chord-neopsych-masterpiece. Listen to the harp vs guitar battle !!! This tells you a hole story. Who needs lyrics, then. Your voice is just another instrument. And it is good. Wonderful+++

June 19, 2020 8:53 am

I definetly can hear the OMD vibe here! Great stuff and the bass drives it nicely on. The harmonica gives it a curious western feeling. The guitar solo is also great touch. With a more upfront vocals this would have a nice anthemic quality, great stuff!

June 19, 2020 4:50 pm

It's funny had you not mentioned the amount of chords I prob wouldn't have noticed because you have some excellent instrumentation going on.  From the solo of the guitar to the harmonica and your vocals it doesn't have a repetitive feel of "what just 2 chords?" tongue I also agree your vocals became just another instrument in the mix.  Well done!

June 22, 2020 12:37 am
CosmicCairns wrote:

Well they're certainly a glorious 2 chords.  This sounds super positive and upbeat.  The harmonica is a great touch.  The vocals are present enough to register that they're there and that works.  I can't understand what you're saying, but that's actually true of lots of songs where the vocals are pushed up in the mix, too.  Sometimes it's just nice to hear a voice.  I'll just go ahead and assume the lyrics are a brilliant discourse on the state of the world.

I can't understand what I'm saying either smile Thanks for listening!

Chrisfoo wrote:

Nice man, a lot going on here.  The Arp Quartet sounds awesome, I bet thats a lot of fun to play around with.  Great bass tone on this too, it works really well on this track.  I'm almost getting a Tears for Fears vibe too.

Arp Quartet is pretty cool, but honestly it has a very thin sound that makes it hard to listen to too much. It came out in the age of fat synth sounds so thin is why it is not considered a great keyboard.  Still kind of cool. I like the Tears for Fears comparison.  Had not thought of that but now I can hear it.  Thanks!

djippy wrote:

Two chords are enough. Everything sounds good on this one. Love the bass, the harmonica is great too. The 80's vibe is great at the beginning. Rock!

In the land of single chords, the man with two is king! I like keeping things simple.  This week, I'm doing three chords though smile


Reilly Farrell wrote:

Fantastic. Especially once the harmonica kicks in. smile


Thanks! Sometimes just a wiff of natural instruments can warm up track.  Really enjoying playing around with the harmonica.

midimachine wrote:

i also did 2 chords this week so don't feel too bad! love the new wave vox. harmonica was a lovely surprise big_smile


Thanks! Sometimes two chords and a harmonica are all you need smile

ViridianLoom wrote:

The harmonica was pretty dope. Made me realize I want to listen to more music with Harmonica.


Nice... go pick one up.  Can't beat the price for such a classic instrument.  Thanks for listening!

Mission Crossing wrote:

I spent three days and got six chords this week so... you’re getting a much better ROI big_smile. Nice harmonica, it rocks! Do you mind posting the lyrics?


This week I expanded to three chords.  Next week maybe four! I was just mumbling out lyrics off the top of my head with about 10 minutes to go so I didn't write them down.  Something like "I used to think it was okay to feel this way, I used to think that some things would stay the same..." something about fade away.  I may try and rerecord it with better vocals.  Thanks for listening! 

Jokinen wrote:

Hell ya! This is great. Love the pace and the harmonica is great.


Thanks! I like that old new wave bass grove and the harmonica really adds some different dimensions.  More expressive. 

Saucey-dough wrote:

The harmonica is back! Freakin love that thing haha.


Ha, yeah me too!  Got o pace my self or learn some more notes smile

Anon_Buster wrote:

The instruments mold together really well. Two chords, but I'm not bored. Nice track. I'm feeling that bass guitar!

Thanks!  I really liked how the harmonica molded into the guitar lead very naturally.  Happy accident smile

miraclemiles wrote:

Bouncing along to some sweet sounds. Great short-time job on this one, good times. I like the vox, reminds me of something someone I can place, but good. And nice harp, guitar, good stuff. Style of OMD?

Thanks for checking it out. OMD = Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark.  I had them in mind when deciding to do a track with the Quartet string synthesizer.  Their early work featured simple electric bass to warm up the cold electronic tracks.

Devieus wrote:

2 chords is really just 4 chords with the latter two being the same as the former. What matters is how you use them. You use them really well. The harmonica too.


I'll need to check the math on that but your logic is sound. Thanks for checking it out!

Q-Rosh wrote:

An epic 2-chord-neopsych-masterpiece. Listen to the harp vs guitar battle !!! This tells you a hole story. Who needs lyrics, then. Your voice is just another instrument. And it is good. Wonderful+++


Exactly, just wanted to have the extra element of human voice with out the annoying task of writing good lyrics.  Thanks for giving it a listen!

Ashen Simian wrote:

I definetly can hear the OMD vibe here! Great stuff and the bass drives it nicely on. The harmonica gives it a curious western feeling. The guitar solo is also great touch. With a more upfront vocals this would have a nice anthemic quality, great stuff!


Thanks!  You know where I'm coming from with the OMD thing smile Happy to finally feature the Arp Quartet.  After recording with it, I realize how thin the tones are compared to other synths of the time.  But still a neat vintage quality to it.  Definitely not lush.

Tone Matrix wrote:

It's funny had you not mentioned the amount of chords I prob wouldn't have noticed because you have some excellent instrumentation going on.  From the solo of the guitar to the harmonica and your vocals it doesn't have a repetitive feel of "what just 2 chords?" tongue I also agree your vocals became just another instrument in the mix.  Well done!

Thanks! I kind of like simple two chord arrangements with no variations.  It's a guilty pleasure for the lazy composer in me smile

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up