Weeklybeats 2020 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 7,500 music compositions by over 300 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / NWSPR's music / Christmas in Space 1999

Christmas in Space 1999

By NWSPR on December 20, 2020 11:01 pm

Heyo, second to last week! This week, I took inspiration from the 70s Gerry Anderson TV series Space 1999. This British TV series may have been his only non-puppet production.  The theme music is pretty whacky combining rock, disco, and orchestral influences. I couldn't pull off that level of funk but did work in some festive sounds for the holiday in my own mixed up Christmas in Space holiday special. Moogs, bass, guitar, and Logic VSTs round it out. 

One more week to go! Happy holidays... see you at the finish line.




\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
SUBMIT YOUR SCIFI INSPIRED MUSIC
////////////////////////////////

I will be producing a compilation album called The International Sounds of Brooklyn SciFi for the 2021 Brooklyn SciFi Film Festival.  Let me know if you would like to submit a track and I'll get details before the year is up. Looking for Sci-Fi, Future Sounding, Fun, or Dystopian tracks that we will put in the program for attendees of the online festival.

Here's the 2020 festival website with this year's films https://2020.brooklynscififilmfest.com/

You can reach me at [email protected]  Or submit your info here: https://brooklynscififilmfest.com/music-submission

The festival will be in September of next year so you have time.  Thanks! 

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
December 21, 2020 12:33 am

Haha, I really love how the tune gradually starts to segway into the Christmassy jam smile. That sci-fi thing sounds like fun, I think I'd like to give it a shot! I'll send you an email smile

December 21, 2020 1:02 am

Love the bells for the Christmas spirit!

December 21, 2020 2:26 am

That's a fun track and the Christmas vibe really does shine through.  Space Christmas music seems like it could be its own genre.

December 21, 2020 2:07 pm

I can make this a traditional listen!

December 22, 2020 10:05 pm

Dude, I don't know how you did it, but you did it.  You made a disco punk rock xmas sci-fi song.  Wait - I actually think I know how you did it:

lasers = sci fi
bells = xmas
hi-hat = disco
energetic bass performance = punk

nailed it!

December 22, 2020 11:56 pm

Nailed it for reals! This is the way of the space xmas forever and always! As a dancing space family, this will go on our playlist! See you at the finish line!

December 23, 2020 1:00 am

I don't quite remember Christmas in 1999 sounding like this, but then I wasn't in space, so I may have missed some good stuff. It sounds pretty epic, so I guess that tracks.

December 23, 2020 3:48 am

Yes! This is so funky and dope, love how you mixed in the x-mas vibes with some disco/sci-fi/funk, can imagine some distant moon being hijacked into a massive disco ball for an interstellar party.

December 24, 2020 12:49 pm

December 27, 2020 6:53 pm
ViridianLoom wrote:

Haha, I really love how the tune gradually starts to segway into the Christmassy jam smile. That sci-fi thing sounds like fun, I think I'd like to give it a shot! I'll send you an email smile


Awesome thanks!  I got your email.  Looking forward to putting your track on the comp.  Cheers!

djippy wrote:

Love the bells for the Christmas spirit!


Cheers! Hope you had a Merry Xmas!!

CosmicCairns wrote:

That's a fun track and the Christmas vibe really does shine through.  Space Christmas music seems like it could be its own genre.


This came out more Buck Rogers than Space 1999 still has that 70s disco TV Christmas special sound that I crave. Merry Happy Xmas and New Year on this last day of WB202020202020!!!!

Jokinen wrote:

I can make this a traditional listen!


Thanks, Hope you had a great Christmas!

orangedrink wrote:

Dude, I don't know how you did it, but you did it.  You made a disco punk rock xmas sci-fi song.  Wait - I actually think I know how you did it:

lasers = sci fi
bells = xmas
hi-hat = disco
energetic bass performance = punk

nailed it!

You backwards engineered the formula for Classic NWSPR.  I may need to consider New NWSPR, or NWSPR Zero for 2022. Hope you and yours are having a great holiday.  Thanks for the awesome track contribution for the SciFi comp!!

miraclemiles wrote:

Nailed it for reals! This is the way of the space xmas forever and always! As a dancing space family, this will go on our playlist! See you at the finish line!


Thanks!  Cheers and Happy New Year! 

Devieus wrote:

I don't quite remember Christmas in 1999 sounding like this, but then I wasn't in space, so I may have missed some good stuff. It sounds pretty epic, so I guess that tracks.

This is how I imagine it would have sounded on Space 1999's Moon Base Alpha for Christmas (which was actually in the 70s). Or if the show had a really bad Christmas special like the classic Star Wars special.   

Jason Nijjer wrote:

Yes! This is so funky and dope, love how you mixed in the x-mas vibes with some disco/sci-fi/funk, can imagine some distant moon being hijacked into a massive disco ball for an interstellar party.

Thanks!! 70s TV theme songs are pretty crazy if you go back and listen.  They had musical non sequitur pulled off by dozens of live musicians that could pivot from classical to disco within a few bars. I was hoping to capture some of that nonsensical mishmash. I think I could have pulled it off better if I had a real wah pedal and big 70s mustache smile 

Q-Rosh wrote:

Most awesome gif for capturing the moment.  Cheers!

December 27, 2020 9:20 pm

So good! Absolutely captures that old school sci fi vibe. Got me looking into this show now, and it looks so great!

January 1, 2021 5:09 pm

Woah this kinda reminds me a bit of the Star Wars MECO disco album at times.  Obviously on that disco beat.  But those Xmas bells also give it a Futurama feel.  Excellent job of meshing all those genres!

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up