Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting January 1st 2018 GMT each participant will upload one finished composition per week. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Mortistar's music / [Sega Genesis] Blasting Process

[Sega Genesis] Blasting Process

By Mortistar on February 18, 2018 12:28 am

WEEK SEVEN, I'm running out of intro lines! As I've started to embrace the idea of doing something completely different each week, I was torn between Dubstep and a Sega Genesis tune, so I thought, why not both? This has really opened my eyes to the raw power of the monster that is the YM2612, the FM chip of that signature genesis sound. It turns out old FM chips are still really good at making really dirty basses, who would've thought. Anyways, with the help of the YM2612 VST (FM Chip), GENNY (An upgraded version of the former), SN76489 VST (PSG Chip), and drum samples from old games, I think I've managed to create a believable old console tune with a bit of modern flair. As always, thank you for listening, I hope you enjoyed this track!

-Jon

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial (BY-NC)

  • Play
  • Download
February 19, 2018 12:09 am

great sound. very FM, much wow! Hero tune in a futuristic setting! nice stuff

February 19, 2018 12:11 am

Wow. Love the nostalgic video game ambience you've created here. What is your work flow like for this?

February 19, 2018 12:25 am

so dirty i had to take a shower afterwards

February 19, 2018 1:11 am

Oh man, the bass chops and video computer sounds in the middle and end are awesome. Sounds like SEGA up to no good.  Great melodies and lovely sounds too!

February 19, 2018 2:27 am

NEATO EVIL STUFF IN THERE

February 19, 2018 3:55 am

Really beautiful FM sounds, and got damn @ that bass growl. Though I think the star of the show are those metallic percussion elements. Great use of melody in a rhythmically-driven track too!

February 19, 2018 7:22 am

Dubstep really ain't my thing, and this piece hasn't changed my mind, but the other parts are awesome.

February 19, 2018 11:35 am

I am such a sucker for FM, and you've nailed this! That bassss and the bells following afterward. heart Great stuff!

February 19, 2018 1:50 pm
Wisefire wrote:

great sound. very FM, much wow! Hero tune in a futuristic setting! nice stuff


Ayy thanks!

User Agent wrote:

Wow. Love the nostalgic video game ambience you've created here. What is your work flow like for this?


Glad you like it! I mostly started out with a chord progression on FL Studio, and it began to come together by trying to view genesis instruments as substitutes for EDM elements like bass, chords, arps and so on. Being limited to 6 voices on the FM chip and 4 on the PSG meant that the challenge was more about condensing things down to the limitations of the console. The mixing itself wasn't particularly complex, just a few frequency tweaks here and there and a lil' bit of panning. I found it much easier to tackle this by figuring out the structure early on in terms of intro, builds and drops. Hope this helps!


leafo wrote:

so dirty i had to take a shower afterwards


heart Hope you managed to clean off all of the d i r t


NWSPR wrote:

Oh man, the bass chops and video computer sounds in the middle and end are awesome. Sounds like SEGA up to no good.  Great melodies and lovely sounds too!


Thank you! heart


starpause wrote:

NEATO EVIL STUFF IN THERE


Glad you like it!


Parallelis wrote:

Really beautiful FM sounds, and got damn @ that bass growl. Though I think the star of the show are those metallic percussion elements. Great use of melody in a rhythmically-driven track too!


Thank you! I spent quite a bit of time tinkering with the FM to make weird-ass sounds lmao


Devieus wrote:

Dubstep really ain't my thing, and this piece hasn't changed my mind, but the other parts are awesome.


I hope I can change your mind one day wink heart


antler wrote:

I am such a sucker for FM, and you've nailed this! That bassss and the bells following afterward. <3 Great stuff!


Cheers antler, that means a lot! heart

February 19, 2018 1:56 pm

Nah, not on dubstep.

February 19, 2018 6:37 pm

Excellent work man, your arrangement and management of sounds is always really top notch heart I'm super impressed with how many different genres and ideas you constantly put out; I've never heard anything like this before! great job heart

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up