Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

Juicy

By miraclemiles on September 13, 2020 11:45 pm

This was supposed to be a mouth-watering song about brunch. While an epic brunch classic was the song I set out to make, alas, this is not that song. Something different emerged from these three hours of recordings.

These sounds are from a jam session from a couple weekends ago. Myself, License, and fellow co-worker and maker of weird sounds (and brunch lover) D-Money. I started some riffing on Biscuits and Gravy to start things off (maybe I was hungry). Then D-Money on some vocals and the Circuit picked it up later with some tasty mimosa toasts. License held down some drums and some great samples on his Octatrack, then contributed some vocals too. Later he hooked up the O-Coast to the Circuit Monostation and things got, well, extra juicy.


I'd like to say that what I did put together has a meaningful story and theme. Something about how some of the changes we have seen in our country just do not seem correct. There is unfounded violence and injustice. We need justice, we need peace, and we need it now. Even Karen is calling for it. It's time we take the rotten orange of a system, peel it open and squeeze out the juice .... and make mimosas while the new oranges grow.


Maybe that story called to me and helped me pick what I did for this song out of the 3 hours of recordings I dug through. It's a blessing and a special kind of curse to have that much audio to dig through. Maybe that story emerged and guided me, or maybe I poked around at random, picking out the juicy bits that tickled my weekend weird bone, chopped them up, and had some fun with it. Did I pick these pieces, or did they pick me? As D-Money so astutely asked, "What's it all about?"

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
September 14, 2020 12:54 am

The line about how this country has changed in such a short time really resonated with me.  On the one hand, it's terrifying, but on the other hand it offers me hope that maybe things can also change for the better quickly.  I can certainly think of one rotten orange thing that could be squeezed and we'd see immediate improvements.

September 14, 2020 2:25 pm

Thank you for your tracks. They have always this experimental and sturdy attitude. This is very helpful for the times we are moving to. Keep it up.

September 15, 2020 11:11 pm
CosmicCairns wrote:

The line about how this country has changed in such a short time really resonated with me.  On the one hand, it's terrifying, but on the other hand it offers me hope that maybe things can also change for the better quickly.  I can certainly think of one rotten orange thing that could be squeezed and we'd see immediate improvements.

Yes, love that sample, not sure where License found that. Agree, yeah the change is coming fast. Gotta hope the change for better will come fast! Man, spot on about the rotten orange thing that needs to get squeezed, lol, hadn't actually thought of that at first when digging through our audio. Good call out!

Q-Rosh wrote:

Thank you for your tracks. They have always this experimental and sturdy attitude. This is very helpful for the times we are moving to. Keep it up.

Wow, hey thanks so much, I appreciate that, makes me want to keep on creating. Sometimes it's hard to, but I suppose I'll have to keep on keeping on. I could say the same about your tracks, always creative and going in interesting directions - thanks for your music too!

September 17, 2020 3:44 am

Yes let’s hope things start changing for the better soon, Canada is so directly linked to the US, what happens there always has an effect on Canada.  Like the use of samples with your own vocals on this, kind of has a more upbeat Skinny Puppy feel to it.  How is the smoke in your area?  The smoke from Oregon is starting to reach all the way to Edmonton.

September 18, 2020 7:20 pm
Jason Nijjer wrote:

Yes let’s hope things start changing for the better soon, Canada is so directly linked to the US, what happens there always has an effect on Canada.  Like the use of samples with your own vocals on this, kind of has a more upbeat Skinny Puppy feel to it.  How is the smoke in your area?  The smoke from Oregon is starting to reach all the way to Edmonton.

Yes, let's hope so! The smoke has been horrible over here in Eastern Washington. It rolled in a week ago and is still here, air quality got down to the lowest rating. Now on Friday it's getting a little better. Good thing we're used to staying home a lot anyway.Seems pretty much an annual occurrence now, but this year is especially bad. Crazy it got all the way up to where you are! Thanks for the comment and listen!

September 18, 2020 7:59 pm

I heard the word "Orange" so that's clearly and Orange Drink shout out.  Nice.

I love the intro that has that kinda of gated inhale sound - almost like a reverse cymbal.  I love that sound.

THAT IS NOT THAT-THAT-THAT

that is not going?  that is not cool?

great track.  I guess the lesson is, when life gives you rotten oranges......make mimosas?

September 18, 2020 8:06 pm
orangedrink wrote:

I heard the word "Orange" so that's clearly and Orange Drink shout out.  Nice.

I love the intro that has that kinda of gated inhale sound - almost like a reverse cymbal.  I love that sound.

THAT IS NOT THAT-THAT-THAT

that is not going?  that is not cool?

great track.  I guess the lesson is, when life gives you rotten oranges......make mimosas?

Always shout outs to Orange Drink in our jams!!

Yeah, I love letting the Push slice up a sample, then hearing something cool like that breath sound that comes out. Now gotta go remember to use it again someday.

That is not ... ?? Something.

Yep, nailed it. That's about it, make those mimosas.

cheers!

September 18, 2020 9:34 pm

Man, this edit is smokin'! You are really pulling juice out everywhere. You heard some stuff (i.e., juice) in this jam that I was completely oblivious to when we were farting around.

FYI - the "looking around at what's going on..." is from an ADVChina video. I must have sampled that 3 or 4 years ago and just found it laying around in my Octatrack. I haven't checked in on them in a while. If you're not familiar with them, at the time they were a couple of foreigners (American and Australian I think) who lived in China and went motorcycling in some really interesting rural areas in their free time, did a lot of cool camera work with drones, bike-cams, etc. It was a fascinating channel and I hope those guys are doing well. Anyway, it's a bit spooky, right?

September 19, 2020 12:56 pm

September 26, 2020 3:23 pm

Def all for the juicing of one demented orange.  Excellent use of all your vocal samples.  The karen one especially lol.  Me likey!

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up