Weeklybeats 2018 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

All We Got

By miraclemiles on October 28, 2018 8:51 pm

Having some fun with this, but also a little frustration. I often have too much dang stuff. Too many ideas, and either no time, or no decisions making skills to decide what to cut to simplify. So this got dense in places, and there's a few ideas in that could have been cut. But I like (and maybe other people too?) a bit of random ness, a bit of chaos and unpredictability, some things that don't always make sense. Time to stop making sense? Maybe its just me though.

Started this with the piano parts that are now only about 8 bars in middle, making up some odd melodies and chords on the Push. Kept building things out and grasping from there until I had many clips to play with. Then did some vocoder takes on the Mininova, chopped those up a bit and kind of shifted directions from my fake jazz to building the track around those new vocoder lines. Struggled in mix a little with low ends, so tried the trick where you drop out the kick's frequency from the bass so kick punche through more, and that helped. Also Live's Drum Buss, that thing makes the boom!

Thanks WB fam for the inspiration each week. Can't believe less than 10 left!

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
October 29, 2018 12:23 am

Talking Heads said it. Works here for sure. Nice use of the vocoder!

October 29, 2018 12:50 am

Wowo, this really incredible the way it opens up halfway through. Really eclectic mix of styles and instrumentation with a very strong groove. Saved and faved!

October 30, 2018 7:57 pm

A plethora of ideas is kind of your "style" so I definitely wouldn't feel bad about it.  Plus it beats the alternative of not having enough ideas.  I, for one, enjoy randomness and your dense compositions always have a lot of details to unpack and discover.  This is a fun chaotic track that you can totally groove to.  Nicely done. 

October 31, 2018 3:42 am

I love the chaos, lots of layers to unravel and things to pick up on repeated listening, one of my favorite producers of all time is the bomb squad because of how chaotic and busy their music can be, especially with Public Enemy.

October 31, 2018 12:14 pm

October 31, 2018 7:58 pm

I love the energy you bring, there's a lot of things going on but it doesn't feel overburdened at all, it feels full and alive! I like the cut of your musical jib smile

October 31, 2018 8:09 pm
Jim Wood wrote:

Talking Heads said it. Works here for sure. Nice use of the vocoder!

Thanks! Yes they did, a good mantra to create with perhaps. Glad it worked for you!

NWSPR wrote:

Wowo, this really incredible the way it opens up halfway through. Really eclectic mix of styles and instrumentation with a very strong groove. Saved and faved!

Hey thanks very much! Glad you liked it and that change-ups worked for you. I'll take eclectic any day, always like that descriptor.

November 1, 2018 11:30 pm
CosmicCairns wrote:

A plethora of ideas is kind of your "style" so I definitely wouldn't feel bad about it.  Plus it beats the alternative of not having enough ideas.  I, for one, enjoy randomness and your dense compositions always have a lot of details to unpack and discover.  This is a fun chaotic track that you can totally groove to.  Nicely done.

I appreciate this, thanks! It is kind of my style, I'll own that wink. Glad that you enjoy this style. Knowing that, I'll just have to make some more like it smile

Jason Nijjer wrote:

I love the chaos, lots of layers to unravel and things to pick up on repeated listening, one of my favorite producers of all time is the bomb squad because of how chaotic and busy their music can be, especially with Public Enemy.

Sweet, thanks, glad you liked it, so cool to hear that. I need to go check out some PE now, it's been a while, I don't what else Bomb Squad has done outside of PE, so I'll have to research that too!

kaedo sevaada wrote:

Ah, I love this little guy, thanks!

Gab Manette wrote:

I love the energy you bring, there's a lot of things going on but it doesn't feel overburdened at all, it feels full and alive! I like the cut of your musical jib smile

Yay, happy to hear that! I like the cut of your musical jib too actually. I can't remember what movie "cut of your jib" was in ... gotta go look that up, have always liked that line! Thanks mucho.

November 1, 2018 11:32 pm
Gab Manette wrote:

I love the energy you bring, there's a lot of things going on but it doesn't feel overburdened at all, it feels full and alive! I like the cut of your musical jib smile


November 2, 2018 2:02 am
miraclemiles wrote:
Gab Manette wrote:

I love the energy you bring, there's a lot of things going on but it doesn't feel overburdened at all, it feels full and alive! I like the cut of your musical jib smile

Awww yeah! I think I heard it in Anchorman some time ago as well big_smile

November 4, 2018 2:17 am

Stop making sense, making sense! This is freaky good! All layers work so well together

November 5, 2018 12:03 am
Gab Manette wrote:
miraclemiles wrote:
Gab Manette wrote:

I love the energy you bring, there's a lot of things going on but it doesn't feel overburdened at all, it feels full and alive! I like the cut of your musical jib smile

Awww yeah! I think I heard it in Anchorman some time ago as well big_smile

Right! That's what I was originally trying to remember!

November 5, 2018 12:04 am
Podling wrote:

Stop making sense, making sense! This is freaky good! All layers work so well together

Can't stop wont' stop, wait, yes, will stop, hmmmm .. Wow, thanks so very much, appreciate that!

November 10, 2018 4:18 pm

Excellent controlled chaos!  Especially once that piano line gets introduced.  The bassline is super catchy with the drums.  Yais drum buss is awesome indeed!

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up