WeeklyBeats.com / Music / kevanatkins's music / Do You Guys Have Airconditioning By Any Chance?

Do You Guys Have Airconditioning By Any Chance?

By kevanatkins on January 12, 2020 10:03 pm

This submission is licensed by author under Copyright All rights reserved

January 13, 2020 12:04 am

There's a lot of cool and interesting sounds in here, do you have a library of samples you're dropping in or is it all coming from a plugin?

January 13, 2020 12:14 am

... I guess cause we're going to need it. 70 degrees in NYC in January does not bode well. Digging the metallic qualities. This will be on my post apocalyptic soundtrack.

January 13, 2020 12:54 am

I really like the almost sound collage element to this.

And yes, yes I do. smile

January 13, 2020 1:40 am

Oh man. This is so lovely. Would love to know a bit about your process here.

January 13, 2020 1:47 am

January 13, 2020 10:31 am
ViridianLoom wrote:

I do have a library of samples for glitch stuff, which I harvested and chopped up from a FreeBSD hard drive image a couple of years ago, which resulted in about two hundred samples, those a are mostly used in transitions in this track. However, most of what you're hearing is coming from a recording of a phone conversation that another Melbourne-based sound engineer posted on a group chat of a bunch of touring sound engineers enquiring about air conditioning at a café we were all meeting at one day. Pretty much all the rhythmic stuff comes from it.

fc wrote:

Oh man. This is so lovely. Would love to know a bit about your process here.

Thanks. As far as process, most of my focus was on playing with the modulation sets in Renoise's sampler. At least 90% of my work is sample-based, but heavily leaning on chopping up, modulating and mangling samples. Aside from the glitch samples, all the other samples are pretty heavily processed through modulation of level, filters, panning, pitch, ring mods, delays, etc. I used especially the step sequencer modulation a lot with skipped steps to add a bit more variation to it and then I'd use effect commands to reset the steps sequencers to make them land the same in a larger loop.

rdomain wrote:

I really like the almost sound collage element to this.

And yes, yes I do. smile

Thanks. I suppose it could be seen as a sound collage.

NWSPR wrote:

Oof. I'm in Australia, we've been getting days of up to 42 ˚C (107 ˚F). We're roasting good and proper. And with all the bushfires smoke, everything looks like a Michael Bay film.

Ipaghost wrote:

GIF game on point as always. heart

January 13, 2020 10:33 am

Also, I am going to try and get to listening to some stuff, it's just that I've been on Flinders Island for the past week, so my only internet access is in town since there's limited cell coverage here, hence the track not having any of the usual process notes with it.

January 13, 2020 10:36 am

That's hot.

January 13, 2020 6:59 pm

I do own air conditioning, however it is cold in mtl those days so I need to put heat on... interesting track.

January 15, 2020 10:36 pm
NWSPR wrote:

Sorry to hear that... I never would have complained had I known.  Sounds like a hell scape.  Been following the wildfires every day on the news.  Good luck.  Hope it cools off and you get some rain.

January 16, 2020 10:08 am
NWSPR wrote:

Nah. Complain all you like. The planet is fucked. We actually had a big storm last night. Pretty heavy downpour. Hopefully no lighting strikes in dry areas making the fires worse. Still the fires are pretty insane.

February 1, 2020 2:16 am