WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Kedbreak136's music / Jack The Jazz Pirate

Jack The Jazz Pirate

By Kedbreak136 on September 20, 2020 1:31 pm

Maybe it was because of the pirate track last week, I ended up with a track with the same time signature and same tempo but this time with a more jazzy (?) feel. It's as if the lil pirate crew made a lil pirate band with Bob the octopus metal drummer, Ol'Steve who plays the keyboard with one finger, Terrible pirate Roberts on the bass and "one eye" John with all wind instruments he could find.

I sped this one up on Sunday and suffered from listening to it too much and keeping adding random stuff like clarinets, piano lines, trumpets, etc. I'm at the point where I just cannot hear the mix anymore. The track would benefit probably from some good rest in a cave before being opened again and cleaned up. I really like brasses and winds but am really bad at making them sound good. I'll put that partly on VSTs but it's also a lot of mixing issues and just not being good at writing lines for wind instruments. But hey it's Sunday night, time to submit!

September 21, 2020 12:19 am

Killer intro. The bass and drums go really, really well together. I also love the part from about the 2 minute mark. Almost wish you'd gone a little crazier and added some solos for the pirate band to ride into the horizon with. On that note, I felt a bit like the wind chimes were a little loud in the mix at the end; bringing their level down a touch might help bring the other instruments out. smile

September 21, 2020 12:36 am

You continue to be filled with the pirate spirit.  Love the idea of the pirate band.  The bass sounds big and thick so extra props to Terrible pirate Roberts.

September 21, 2020 1:40 am

Damn, the band is killing it. Figuratively this time.

They seem to be a much better jazz band than a pirate band for sure.

Nothing wrong with the brass/wind section, definitely could use a once-over in the mix, but let's just blame that on the acoustics of the place.

September 21, 2020 1:57 am

Once you start writing pirate music you can never stop, this is who you be now. ;P

For real though, this is fun, I can imagine playing this for real as a band jam or something and having a good time. I'd want to play the bass haha.

September 21, 2020 4:01 am

This is sweet man.  This is totally like general villain entrance music, I wouldn't limit yourself to just pirates on this one.

September 21, 2020 4:58 am

This is some sick jazz!!! I’d tip them a piece of eight for sure.

September 21, 2020 6:57 pm

Fun stuff. Like the idea of a pirate's band too.

September 21, 2020 8:45 pm

Ol'Steve who plays the piano with one finger? xD hahahaha.

MMM, those drums! This reminds me a little of the Crocodile Hunter track you had a few weeks ago, but also a crazy pirate adventure. All you need is the atmospheric bar sounds, shattering bear bottles, and "Yo Ho. Yearrrrrrrrgh" samples and you have a complete scene. Cool, bopping, tune you made.

September 21, 2020 11:23 pm

This song is about me, huh? My name is jack and I am sometimes a pirate arrrrrr

September 22, 2020 1:37 am
hent03 wrote:

Thank you! Yes the chimes and the general mix would benefit from a fresh listen, clean up and maybe swap of a few samples indeed!

CosmicCairns wrote:

I realized too late that I screwed up and that the real name is Dread Pirate Roberts (TM), not Terrible pirate Roberts (that's the French version).

Devieus wrote:

Damn, the band is killing it. Figuratively this time.

They seem to be a much better jazz band than a pirate band for sure.

Thank you! I suspect high seas are not the most favorable place acoustic wise, let's park this under that rug.

ViridianLoom wrote:

Thanks! Actually a couple of riffs there come from a piece that I used to play in a jam band a few years back (a mongol/middle east/jazz/king crimsony type of band, where only impro was allowed and only polyrhythms). I suspect I stole one of these riffs from either james bond or a barry adamson album.

Chrisfoo wrote:

We are the inclusive type of pirates, villains and other misfits are all welcome.

Mission Crossing wrote:

This is some sick jazz!!! I’d tip them a piece of eight for sure.

Thank you! Or 6 pieces of 8, considering the time here.

djippy wrote:

Fun stuff. Like the idea of a pirate's band too.

I think Lemmy did it already. smile

Anon_Buster wrote:

Ol'Steve who plays the piano with one finger? xD hahahaha.

The drums come from a Splice sample package. The sound is insane and the player has really mad skills. His tom sound is just so cool, I'll definitely re-use his package in future tracks.

Phil Harmonic wrote:

This song is about me, huh? My name is jack and I am sometimes a pirate arrrrrr

Arrrrrr!

September 22, 2020 1:17 pm

Groovy juicy bass and catchy simple melody! J'aime sutout le côté ludique du solo avec le carillon à vent et le piano.
Nice work!

September 22, 2020 3:36 pm

The track sounds awesome. The instrumentation and the choice of samples is very unique. It is wild music, perfectly for a pirate-party.

September 25, 2020 4:23 pm

Excellent groove between the bass and drums.  Some really nice fills in there too.  It almost has a mysterious pirate detective feel to it.  Sherlock Holmes in the Carribean!? yikes Really catchy melodies toward the end on the piano that contrast nicely with the winds.

September 25, 2020 8:15 pm

These pirates be having a right dandy old time. This made me do a little chair jiggle. I can relate to ol Steve's keyboard style. If you only play with one finger, you can also play with your peg leg if yer hands be busy with ale and mischief.

September 26, 2020 12:40 pm

So awesome and so fun, love the pirate theme, driving drums and great melody in the second half.

September 27, 2020 5:45 am
ScanianWolf wrote:

Nice work!

Merci! En fait le passage du piano utilise aussi une sonnete de velo. smile

Q-Rosh wrote:

Thank you!

Tone Matrix wrote:

Thank you. The pirate detective feel may come from this main riff with the piano doubled by the bass, which is to be honest a variation of 007 theme. smile

miraclemiles wrote:

Never thought of that but that does make perfect sense. I need a peg leg.

Jason Nijjer wrote:

Thank you!

September 27, 2020 9:56 pm

pirate jazz is fun - i like all the bells