Weeklybeats 2020 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 7,500 music compositions by over 300 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

Gion 2120

By Kedbreak136 on December 20, 2020 9:37 am

Gion is the traditional geisha district. This track is like the 80s version of 22nd century Geisha music. Arps, synth, shamisen and traditional Japanese singing.

I wished I could have spent a lot more time on this track. There is only left to go in this year and I wanted to do a good job but work has been brutal both this week and this weekend. I have had too little time. Hopefully I can spend some time next week on the final track!

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
December 21, 2020 12:07 am

Ohhhhh man that bass and arp combo is soooo good. Has some serious attitude. 1:02 especially is pretty gnarly. The use of shamisen and the singing adds a lot to its overall vibe too smile

December 21, 2020 12:57 am

The bass line rocks, and I love the way you moved so smoothly into the section at 1:00. It's got a great haunting vibe to it.

December 21, 2020 1:05 am

Dang that gif is intense, is that from a film or something?

I really like shamisen, I love that you had the idea to synth it - it's super weird but spicy.  I could definitely see this in Akira.


December 21, 2020 1:20 am
ViridianLoom wrote:

Ohhhhh man that bass and arp combo is soooo good. Has some serious attitude. 1:02 especially is pretty gnarly. The use of shamisen and the singing adds a lot to its overall vibe too smile

Thank you! I love that splice has some exotic sample packs - this pack I used has a lot of shamisen and Japanese traditional vocals. I feel like I'm sometimes doing more collage than music composition, but if it works... smile



hent03 wrote:

The bass line rocks, and I love the way you moved so smoothly into the section at 1:00. It's got a great haunting vibe to it.

Thank you! I have been sticking to that "aggressive bass synth" + distortion a la Ace of Spades. That results in a pretty gnarly bass sound. smile



orangedrink wrote:

Dang that gif is intense, is that from a film or something?

I really like shamisen, I love that you had the idea to synth it - it's super weird but spicy.  I could definitely see this in Akira.

Thank you! The gif is from Ghost in the Shell, the hollywood adaptation. The visuals are great but the movie is a bit meh. I'd classify that as an "airplane movie" - the kind of movie you watch in the plane to make time pass and unplug your brain. The original manga/anime is very cool though.

Shamisen is such a cool instrument. smile

December 21, 2020 2:05 am

Love the mashup of the futuristic sounds with the traditional Japanese element.  It gives a best of both worlds kind of feeling.

December 21, 2020 11:44 pm

I really like how you blend all the instruments together in this track! Well done!

December 22, 2020 9:45 pm

I hear about Ghost In The Shell all the time, I'll have to check out the various iterations!

I heart GeishaWave

December 22, 2020 10:47 pm

Geisha Wave!? 80s version of 22nd century ... sound about right! This is very cool. Could see this in a film, or in a club in the Gion district? Mix sits well. Big sound! Man the Shamissen is very cool! I spent some time looking for an ableton sample instrument rack of that before ... never did find free one. Guess I can try and make one!

December 23, 2020 12:27 am
miraclemiles wrote:

Geisha Wave!? 80s version of 22nd century ... sound about right! This is very cool. Could see this in a film, or in a club in the Gion district? Mix sits well. Big sound! Man the Shamissen is very cool! I spent some time looking for an ableton sample instrument rack of that before ... never did find free one. Guess I can try and make one!

I have used a shamisen soundfont in the past. It sounds pretty decent. I think the one from that link?
Shamisen soundfont

The page is in Japanese but if you go to the link that says shamisen, you may see downloadable soundfonts.

Else here is the splice sample package I have been using.

December 23, 2020 12:29 am
CosmicCairns wrote:

Love the mashup of the futuristic sounds with the traditional Japanese element.  It gives a best of both worlds kind of feeling.

I really want to continue exploring these vibes. I was originally going more for a KMFDM kind of track but that did not work out. East Asian music and electronic music seem to work well together.

ScanianWolf wrote:

I really like how you blend all the instruments together in this track! Well done!

Merci! Ethnic fusion music!

orangedrink wrote:

I hear about Ghost In The Shell all the time, I'll have to check out the various iterations!

I <3 GeishaWave

The manga is awesome! smile

December 23, 2020 3:30 am

Nice, this has a great futuristic vibe to it, like the chanting that comes in half way and the surgical/samurai like synths, hope you get some time to complete the last track of the year, I have really enjoyed listening to what you give us each week.

December 24, 2020 1:09 pm

December 27, 2020 8:28 pm
Kedbreak136 wrote:
miraclemiles wrote:

Geisha Wave!? 80s version of 22nd century ... sound about right! This is very cool. Could see this in a film, or in a club in the Gion district? Mix sits well. Big sound! Man the Shamissen is very cool! I spent some time looking for an ableton sample instrument rack of that before ... never did find free one. Guess I can try and make one!

Appreciate this, I'll check these out! Have been wanting to try out soundfonts more actually. Sounds like good way to kick off 2021 explorations! The quest for the shamissen continues.

I have used a shamisen soundfont in the past. It sounds pretty decent. I think the one from that link?
Shamisen soundfont

The page is in Japanese but if you go to the link that says shamisen, you may see downloadable soundfonts.

Else here is the splice sample package I have been using.


December 27, 2020 10:16 pm

Your track inspired me to have some Japanese counting in mine this week smile nice work man!

December 27, 2020 10:53 pm

Very cool mix of styles. Makes me want to play some Cyberpunk

December 28, 2020 3:51 pm

Tasty Cyberpunk sounds.  Love it!  Please consider submitting a scifi inspired track to a comp I'm doing for the 2021 Brooklyn SciFi Festival (this year's festival: 2020.brooklynscififilmfest.com).  Cheers!

January 1, 2021 4:37 pm

That bassline is badass and has such a sinister sound to it.  The nice mix of distortion on it is so pleasing in contrast to the shamisen.  The beat packs a punch too.  Well done!

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up