Weeklybeats 2018 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / kaedo sevaada's music / ole twelfth night

ole twelfth night

By kaedo sevaada on January 19, 2018 6:45 am

It's "ole 12th night" (January 17th). Last year on this day we brewed a up pot of egg, apple, cider, and brandy filled wassail.  I also made a traditional apple Sussex cake using the rest of the honey a beekeeper friend gave us from that season.  As the traditions goes we dipped bread pieces in the wassail and put them in the tree's. We then sang to the tree's and poured some wassail on the ground for them.  Then we went inside, made a fire. We ate on the Sussux cake and drank the wassail for the rest of the week.  It felt very fortifying.

That next spring the pear tree's that hadn't bloomed the 2 years prior were full of blooms and later that season the tree was filled with pears (we never got to eat any of them as the critters ate them all) but we did get about half of the harvest of the most delicious peaches I've ever eaten & the cherry tree also produced (but again - the critters ate them all).

Sadly all the tree's in our old garden/orchard were clear cut after we sold our house this fall, and the bee's who made the honey that was in the yummy Sussex apple cake didn't make it through the cold and warming snaps that we've been having in the midwest this winter.

I felt a mix of gratitude and loss this old twelfth night.

I was a madrigal singer in a past life I feel a mixture of gratitude and loss for that season as well...

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial (BY-NC)

  • Play
  • Download
January 22, 2018 1:57 am

A very eerie and a very longing song. I feel a sense of losing something dear in it.

January 22, 2018 2:01 am
Wisefire wrote:

A very eerie and a very longing song. I feel a sense of losing something dear in it.



thank you for listening

January 22, 2018 2:31 am
kaedo sevaada wrote:

thank you for listening


Thank you for composing wink

January 22, 2018 7:52 am

this is great. amazing atmosphere, love the vocals.

January 22, 2018 10:34 am

Yep, nice ambience, and really sounds miazakian!

January 22, 2018 2:19 pm
grillo wrote:

this is great. amazing atmosphere, love the vocals.

I_See_Drones wrote:

Yep, nice ambience, and really sounds miazakian!

Thank you for listening - I felt like I should have re-recorded all of it & ended up mixing it over and over and over again... & finally felt ok about it enough to stop messing with it. 

January 22, 2018 8:54 pm

The song is very special. thank you for sharing it.

January 22, 2018 11:12 pm

Wow, this is great.  Almost pagan type vibe.  I'm having Wickerman flashbacks.

January 23, 2018 12:08 am

I love the mood and space in this track. The vocals are hypnotising. Great work!

January 23, 2018 1:34 am

Definitely primal.

January 23, 2018 2:00 am
rdomain wrote:

Wow, this is great.  Almost pagan type vibe.  I'm having Wickerman flashbacks.

well now i need to watch that movie - i've never seen it smile

January 23, 2018 2:04 am
Q-Rosh wrote:

The song is very special. thank you for sharing it.

Thank you for listening!

Bellebushka wrote:

I love the mood and space in this track. The vocals are hypnotising. Great work!

Jim Wood wrote:

Definitely primal.

Thank You!

January 23, 2018 4:47 am

Thanks for the story and song! Love it

January 23, 2018 12:50 pm
cfurrow wrote:

Thanks for the story and song! Love it

thank you for listening! 

January 23, 2018 2:03 pm

There's a lot of confidence in this track,  I think you're right about the 'past life' thing. Great story too, love it! smile

January 24, 2018 12:24 am

A haunting ceremony. I like the story. Now thirsty for Wassail. smile

January 24, 2018 7:28 am

Reminds me a little of 'Moon Lay Hidden..' great atmosphere. Thank you for sharing your song and story heart

January 24, 2018 7:47 pm
Sodabelly wrote:

There's a lot of confidence in this track,  I think you're right about the 'past life' thing. Great story too, love it! smile

Thank you - I really was a Madrigal singer from 1994-1997 & possibly a past life too wink

January 24, 2018 7:49 pm
miraclemiles wrote:

A haunting ceremony. I like the story. Now thirsty for Wassail. smile

me too!

January 24, 2018 7:51 pm
hypnogram wrote:

Reminds me a little of 'Moon Lay Hidden..' great atmosphere. Thank you for sharing your song and story <3

i'm unfamiliar with "moon lay hidden" will check it out - thank you!

January 24, 2018 7:54 pm

Oh no!  My sympathies for your old garden/orchard and the bees!  But I really love this track's representation of this mood.  It's like it's echoing out of a forested valley toward me.  The melody sounds really ancient, as do the strings and drums.  Have you heard the Hurrian Hymn No. 6?  It's (supposedly) the oldest known melody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpxN2VXPMLc

I really like that ritualistic tom-tom feel you're using, as well! I used something like that on the coda of my PRF tribute series cover of Lou Reed's "Ocean" a couple years back.  Wonderful work!  (BTW, today is Second Twelve in Angus MacLise's Universal Solar Calendar: http://dukngal.tumblr.com/post/60562854884)

January 25, 2018 12:50 am
onezero wrote:

Oh no!  My sympathies for your old garden/orchard and the bees!  But I really love this track's representation of this mood.  It's like it's echoing out of a forested valley toward me.  The melody sounds really ancient, as do the strings and drums.  Have you heard the Hurrian Hymn No. 6?  It's (supposedly) the oldest known melody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpxN2VXPMLc

i have not heard of that - it's so cool!

I really like that ritualistic tom-tom feel you're using, as well! I used something like that on the coda of my PRF tribute series cover of Lou Reed's "Ocean" a couple years back.  Wonderful work!  (BTW, today is Second Twelve in Angus MacLise's Universal Solar Calendar: http://dukngal.tumblr.com/post/60562854884)

what is the "(first 12) day of the thought market" you suppose?

that ocean cover rocks!  is that you singing?

January 25, 2018 1:07 am
kaedo sevaada wrote:


what is the "(first 12) day of the thought market" you suppose?

I think the Twelves are every twelve days.  "Day of the Thought Market" was the original name for the day from the first version of the poem (YEAR)...and it's an evocative image!  I'm envisioning a Wall-Street-like market for thoughts.

kaedo sevaada wrote:


that ocean cover rocks!  is that you singing?

Thank you!  Yep, that's me trying to sing with enough volume to hold pitch, but not enough volume to wake the kids.  I think the coda's my favorite part--I was picturing a ritual on a coastline, welcoming the rising ocean.

January 25, 2018 6:25 pm

Love the atmosphere and feeling of this recording.  I felt like I was being told a story while seeking shelter in a cave (if that makes sense) smile  Also a bit of "Bat For Lashes" came to mind.  Nice work!

January 25, 2018 7:36 pm
onezero wrote:
kaedo sevaada wrote:


what is the "(first 12) day of the thought market" you suppose?

I think the Twelves are every twelve days.  "Day of the Thought Market" was the original name for the day from the first version of the poem (YEAR)...and it's an evocative image!  I'm envisioning a Wall-Street-like market for thoughts.

kaedo sevaada wrote:


that ocean cover rocks!  is that you singing?

Thank you!  Yep, that's me trying to sing with enough volume to hold pitch, but not enough volume to wake the kids.  I think the coda's my favorite part--I was picturing a ritual on a coastline, welcoming the rising ocean.


love it!!!

January 25, 2018 7:36 pm
Tone Matrix wrote:

Love the atmosphere and feeling of this recording.  I felt like I was being told a story while seeking shelter in a cave (if that makes sense) smile  Also a bit of "Bat For Lashes" came to mind.  Nice work!

Awe thank you - Since I have no cave to hang out in right now - I have to make one with sound smile 

January 27, 2018 1:05 am

fantastic music, so much feel and atmosphere !

January 28, 2018 8:27 am

Beautiful music thank you

January 28, 2018 3:22 pm
emm wrote:

fantastic music, so much feel and atmosphere !

Ryan wrote:

Beautiful music thank you

Thank you so much for listening!

January 28, 2018 9:06 pm

Ok so turning into a fan after this one. Something new and eerie third time in a row. Thanks!

P.S. Gifs are great.

January 28, 2018 9:43 pm
Coauctor wrote:

Ok so turning into a fan after this one. Something new and eerie third time in a row. Thanks!

P.S. Gifs are great.

smile

February 1, 2018 1:50 am

This made me feel like floating over the countryside at night, under a light rain, with the warm glow of lanterns in the distance, very beautiful!

February 3, 2018 12:23 pm

... ghosties .. . . . ..  neutral ... it takes me to the misty hills of haunted Scotland, searching for our forefathers and soup lashings smile

February 3, 2018 2:20 pm
Gab Manette wrote:

This made me feel like floating over the countryside at night, under a light rain, with the warm glow of lanterns in the distance, very beautiful!

Podling wrote:

... ghosties .. . . . ..  neutral ... it takes me to the misty hills of haunted Scotland, searching for our forefathers and soup lashings smile

Oh thank you so much for listening & the beautiful comments.

February 14, 2018 12:47 pm

February 15, 2018 3:55 am
laguna wrote:

smile

March 18, 2018 12:55 pm


 
Nice dark vibe smile

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up