Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting January 1st 2018 GMT each participant will upload one finished composition per week. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Jupebox's music / We Should Hang Out

We Should Hang Out

By Jupebox on July 1, 2018 11:53 pm

I've started actually like, trying to practice some stuff from a video course on How To Music Composition but I only got as far as "here's how to make a musical period" before I had to sit down and... make one. Next week I ought to have actually learned how to Write My Own Chord Progressions and maybe, idk, how to write something that's not AABA format?? crazy

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial (BY-NC)

  • Play
  • Download
July 3, 2018 5:52 pm

We should.

Chord progressions aren't hard, you just need to know chords. If you don't, ignorance is probably bliss.
My favorite resolution is Isus4-Isus2-I by the way.

July 3, 2018 8:06 pm
Devieus wrote:

We should.

Chord progressions aren't hard, you just need to know chords. If you don't, ignorance is probably bliss.
My favorite resolution is Isus4-Isus2-I by the way.


Ehhhh... it's been like 10 years since I actually tried to apply my ~10 years of music theory lessons, so I'm suuuuper rusty. I still know the basics, like major, minor, diminished, augmented, dominant, sub-dominant, etc, but hopefully taking some classes will help jog my memory on anything more complicated than that. I've 100% forgotten what a sustained chord is, for instance, lol... maybe by this time next week I will know!

July 4, 2018 5:40 am

It's suspense chords. sus4 puts the middle note a half-tone up, sus2 puts the middle note a whole-note down (because if you did a half-note, it becomes a minor). LMMS has a neat feature that allows you to choose a chord from a drop-down list and place it on the roll, I guess FL has it too, but I'm not sure; it's great if you want to know what a chord is made of, and then place them.

July 5, 2018 2:37 pm

You got a super charming vibe with this one, the melody grabbed me smile

July 9, 2018 12:03 am
Devieus wrote:

It's suspense chords. sus4 puts the middle note a half-tone up, sus2 puts the middle note a whole-note down (because if you did a half-note, it becomes a minor). LMMS has a neat feature that allows you to choose a chord from a drop-down list and place it on the roll, I guess FL has it too, but I'm not sure; it's great if you want to know what a chord is made of, and then place them.


Oh, I'll have to read up on those and see if the daws I'm playing with have those features. Coming from a piano/viola background, I'm super not used to just thinking of chords as like, whole things instead of the notes that make them up? Like, the idea of just, yeah you pick a chord, and put it somewhere, feels foreign. I guess it's just been a really, really long time since music theory. I'll get used to it.

Gab Manette wrote:

You got a super charming vibe with this one, the melody grabbed me smile


Thank you! That must mean the composition class is working big_smile

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up