WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Jim Wood's music / The New Normal

The New Normal

By Jim Wood on September 22, 2018 4:02 pm

Vocals: Shannon Hurley "Sunrise" (https://archive.org/details/SunriseHarmonyVocal). Gunshot percussion: Gun Pack 2 (http://sweetsoundeffects.com/gun-pack-2/).

September 24, 2018 12:29 am

Nice, really like the juxtaposition heart Very cool vocal too, thanks for the link!

September 24, 2018 1:25 am
hieme wrote:

Nice, really like the juxtaposition <3 Very cool vocal too, thanks for the link!

Happy to help!

September 24, 2018 1:33 am

The gunshot percussion is really effective.  I like the subtle alteration on the voice this week.  Normal-ish, but not quite.  Perhaps the new normal?

September 24, 2018 1:41 am
CosmicCairns wrote:

Could be.

September 24, 2018 5:50 am

Explosive work! I also like this weird contrast between the sweet vocals and lyrics with the dark sound material. Have you heard the track "Mitrailleuse" by OMD? That one also uses gun sounds for percussion... but the mood is certainly different to this one here.

September 24, 2018 2:14 pm

I like how the shells bouncing end up being like bell percussions!

September 24, 2018 3:13 pm
Ashen Simian wrote:

Not familiar with that OMD track. You sussed out my intent with the contrast between the vocals and percussion.

Gab Manette wrote:

I like how the shells bouncing end up being like bell percussions!

Yeah, I was delighted to find those among the gun Samples.

September 24, 2018 3:54 pm

creative use of the gunshots, works well. this is actually quite catchy! I love that vocal.

September 24, 2018 4:00 pm
mikememo wrote:

Thanks! I was originally going to use a news report or such, but then decided she made a better contrast.

September 24, 2018 4:10 pm

Super creepy, getting sort of horror movie soundtrack vibes, very effective!

September 25, 2018 9:35 pm

The gunshots are so dark, and the vocals are so light.  Nice combo, Mr. Jim!

September 25, 2018 11:28 pm

This is what you listen to when you march into war full of pride and motivation, but the horrors of violence start to sink in. Such amazing work!

September 26, 2018 10:15 pm

Powerful. Nice combo indeed. The gunshots are stressful, the vocal pretty but somber in way, nice to keep those more unaltered, the lyrics are poignant. Seems gun violence is becoming all too normal these days.

September 27, 2018 2:59 pm
LydiaPrimate wrote:

Super creepy, getting sort of horror movie soundtrack vibes, very effective!

orangedrink wrote:

The gunshots are so dark, and the vocals are so light.  Nice combo, Mr. Jim!

Guabágeuse wrote:

miraclemiles wrote:

Thank you all! I started this immediately after yet another USA shooting (although I suppose I could have started on just about any day, the way things have been going).

October 1, 2018 3:18 pm

Nice contrast of dark meets light.  The vocal solo was a nice change but the stark reality of guns returns yikes

October 8, 2018 2:36 pm

Don't know how I missed this one, but so glad I took a look back. Can't add much to what others have already said but damn! Beautiful, stark, and brutal.

October 8, 2018 3:01 pm
Tone Matrix wrote:

NWSPR wrote:

Perhaps too obvious.

October 11, 2018 5:37 pm

fascinating percussion - i usually hate that sound but it really works in this piece - the world feels brutal right now - good adj. weekly beaters - nice work jim!