Weeklybeats 2018 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Jim Wood's music / Summer Nights

Summer Nights

By Jim Wood on July 15, 2018 3:22 pm

Started out as a gloss on music for a proposed 1992 TV commercial, and gradually morphed from a cliché halcyon mood to whatever-the-hell is going on at the end. Synthesized “crickets” and music wafting from the Plaza (only the bass makes it through to our house). Processed Mexican radio (https://www.tunein.com_radio_Que-Viva-Mxico-s190365).

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
July 16, 2018 12:46 am

A lot of interesting elements at work.  I like that you picked up music from nearby.  It definitely somehow manages to conjure up the feeling of a hot summer night somehow.  It's also actually kind of mellow and relaxing.

July 16, 2018 1:26 pm

Sounds kind of foreboding, lots of tension here, very effective atmosphere.

July 16, 2018 2:50 pm
CosmicCairns wrote:

A lot of interesting elements at work.  I like that you picked up music from nearby.  It definitely somehow manages to conjure up the feeling of a hot summer night somehow.  It's also actually kind of mellow and relaxing.

Thanks! Not the actual Plaza bass, but a recreation (since I didn't feel like dragging a recorder outside).

July 16, 2018 2:50 pm
LydiaPrimate wrote:

Sounds kind of foreboding, lots of tension here, very effective atmosphere.

And here I thought it was peaceful-sounding. ::)

July 16, 2018 10:56 pm

I really like the pulsating quality of the radio sounds, there's a definite feverish undertone coming through, I enjoyed it a lot smile

July 17, 2018 12:22 am

Enjoyed this, got lost in it, has that mix of calm and tense. Good atmos, hot and weird summer night indeed.

July 17, 2018 1:39 am

July 17, 2018 2:28 am
Gab Manette wrote:

I really like the pulsating quality of the radio sounds, there's a definite feverish undertone coming through, I enjoyed it a lot smile

miraclemiles wrote:

Enjoyed this, got lost in it, has that mix of calm and tense. Good atmos, hot and weird summer night indeed.

kaedo sevaada wrote:

Thanks all! I was going for that indoor/oudoor feeling when there's no temperature difference between the two.

July 17, 2018 3:59 pm

#processedMexicanRadio is the new trend. Well done!

July 17, 2018 4:08 pm
Jim Wood wrote:


Thanks all! I was going for that indoor/oudoor feeling when there's no temperature difference between the two.


That's really interesting, and I really felt that vibe while listening, almost saw the scene

July 17, 2018 6:17 pm

Love the atmopshere! And the dissonance heart Very nice very nice

July 18, 2018 10:44 pm

Kind of gets a little scary in there. The processed Mexican radio is awesome. Love the sounds. Why does the thought of processed Mexican radio make me want nachos?

July 19, 2018 3:50 am

Was expecting something perhaps a bit 'Grease' (those summMer-herrrr.... NIIiIii...hhiiIghhghghhghghttssssssssssss)... but discovered something more like... ummm... spooky robot sex music? Was I dissapointed.. .. . .. NO!

July 19, 2018 4:03 am
mikememo wrote:
Jim Wood wrote:


Thanks all! I was going for that indoor/oudoor feeling when there's no temperature difference between the two.


That's really interesting, and I really felt that vibe while listening, almost saw the scene

daniarnica wrote:

Love the atmopshere! And the dissonance <3 Very nice very nice

NWSPR wrote:

Kind of gets a little scary in there. The processed Mexican radio is awesome. Love the sounds. Why does the thought of processed Mexican radio make me want nachos?

Just reading your comment makes me want nachos.

Podling wrote:

Was expecting something perhaps a bit 'Grease' (those summMer-herrrr.... NIIiIii...hhiiIghhghghhghghttssssssssssss)... but discovered something more like... ummm... spooky robot sex music? Was I dissapointed.. .. . .. NO!

Thank you for your kind and perceptive comments.

July 19, 2018 8:13 am

Real nice, this deeper synth with all the sounds on top are amazing. I am a bit overwhelmed to describe the details.
Just nice!

July 22, 2018 4:45 am

folk music for robots around a campfire, thats the only description I can come up with, amazing and enjoyable to listen to as always

July 22, 2018 3:02 pm
theGuen wrote:

Real nice, this deeper synth with all the sounds on top are amazing. I am a bit overwhelmed to describe the details.
Just nice!

Jason Nijjer wrote:

folk music for robots around a campfire, thats the only description I can come up with, amazing and enjoyable to listen to as always

Thanks guys! Always good to hear your comments.

July 25, 2018 3:08 pm

So many cool lil bits of eerie samples fluttering in and out.  I like the pulsing bass that interacts with the mangled samples, especially when those pads kick in towards the second half.

August 15, 2018 7:12 pm
Tone Matrix wrote:

So many cool lil bits of eerie samples fluttering in and out.  I like the pulsing bass that interacts with the mangled samples, especially when those pads kick in towards the second half.

Thanks! I'm somewhat surprised at how satisfactory it turned out.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up