Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting January 1st 2018 GMT each participant will upload one finished composition per week. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

Raptors

By Jim Wood on July 26, 2018 7:07 pm

Murder of crows in the backyard trees, attracted by the smell of dead raccoon (fell into a rainbarrel) in a neighbor's trashcan. Malevolent voice: AlterEgo Bones. Crow calls: a mixture of out-the-window recordings and manipulation of the Bones voice.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
July 30, 2018 2:31 am

That can't possibly have been a pleasant smell.  Interesting back story though.  The track does seem to have a sort of predatory "on the hunt" quality to it.  The crow calls add a nice touch.

July 30, 2018 6:32 am

IM SKURRRD~!

July 30, 2018 9:55 am

Yeah these crows are very cool!
I think the first part is the slowly decomposing racoon... Then the crows come in.
I like the part with the crows most... Very very good, with the melody fragments and the sometimes more digital crows...

July 30, 2018 3:35 pm
CosmicCairns wrote:

That can't possibly have been a pleasant smell.  Interesting back story though.  The track does seem to have a sort of predatory "on the hunt" quality to it.  The crow calls add a nice touch.

starpause wrote:

IM SKURRRD~!

theGuen wrote:

Yeah these crows are very cool!
I think the first part is the slowly decomposing racoon... Then the crows come in.
I like the part with the crows most... Very very good, with the melody fragments and the sometimes more digital crows...

Heh. The raccoon is gone, but for some reason the crows remain.

July 30, 2018 7:17 pm

The ping pong panning brought a very nice tension throughout! Your creativity when it comes to playing with samples is endless, I love what you did with those crows smile

July 30, 2018 11:35 pm
Gab Manette wrote:

The ping pong panning brought a very nice tension throughout! Your creativity when it comes to playing with samples is endless, I love what you did with those crows smile

In real life, what I did mostly was yell "Shut Up!"

July 31, 2018 1:52 am
Jim Wood wrote:


In real life, what I did mostly was yell "Shut Up!"

July 31, 2018 2:15 pm
Gab Manette wrote:
Jim Wood wrote:


In real life, what I did mostly was yell "Shut Up!"

Can't stop laughing!!!

July 31, 2018 10:31 pm
Gab Manette wrote:
Jim Wood wrote:


In real life, what I did mostly was yell "Shut Up!"

hahahahaha, this is amazing


July 31, 2018 10:34 pm

This is fun as hell, great to hear AE in action as usual. Those crows sound antsy as hell, it must have been one hell of a raccoon haha

August 1, 2018 8:55 pm

You totally had me at evil the robot voices marching on to domination of the crows. Crow sounds are awesome! Jim, your description of the origin of the track is certainly the most disturbing thing I will read this week.  It is definitely fit for the opening scene of any Stephen King movie ever.  A lot to unpack there but either your local raccoons need to develop some better life skills or your neighbor has to be more discreet with their varment disposal. Hoping this is not based on a true story. Awesomely insane track though.

August 1, 2018 9:59 pm
hieme wrote:

This is fun as hell, great to hear AE in action as usual. Those crows sound antsy as hell, it must have been one hell of a raccoon haha

NWSPR wrote:

You totally had me at evil the robot voices marching on to domination of the crows. Crow sounds are awesome! Jim, your description of the origin of the track is certainly the most disturbing thing I will read this week.  It is definitely fit for the opening scene of any Stephen King movie ever.  A lot to unpack there but either your local raccoons need to develop some better life skills or your neighbor has to be more discreet with their varment disposal. Hoping this is not based on a true story. Awesomely insane track though.

Thanks for the comments! The raccoon climbed up on the cloth mesh (to keep debris out) at the top of the barrel and fell through. And, unfortunately for the raccoon, it really happened this last week.

August 3, 2018 12:24 am

Great story and track to go with it! That AE voice gets in my head. I like crows. They can be pesty though. That comic up there made me laugh, glad to be here.

August 4, 2018 4:09 pm

Very suspenseful... those mutated crows are really cool. I like this one very much and great originality, as usual.

August 4, 2018 8:22 pm
Jim Wood wrote:
CosmicCairns wrote:

That can't possibly have been a pleasant smell.  Interesting back story though.  The track does seem to have a sort of predatory "on the hunt" quality to it.  The crow calls add a nice touch.

starpause wrote:

IM SKURRRD~!

theGuen wrote:

Yeah these crows are very cool!
I think the first part is the slowly decomposing racoon... Then the crows come in.
I like the part with the crows most... Very very good, with the melody fragments and the sometimes more digital crows...

Heh. The raccoon is gone, but for some reason the crows remain.


Maybe they now recognize you as the path to their stardom. Awesome work, man!

August 5, 2018 6:56 am

Super creepy, very easy to imagine the scene you describe, it's definitely effective!

August 5, 2018 3:08 pm
miraclemiles wrote:

Great story and track to go with it! That AE voice gets in my head. I like crows. They can be pesty though. That comic up there made me laugh, glad to be here.

Ashen Simian wrote:

Very suspenseful... those mutated crows are really cool. I like this one very much and great originality, as usual.

Guabágeuse wrote:

Maybe they now recognize you as the path to their stardom. Awesome work, man!

LydiaPrimate wrote:

Super creepy, very easy to imagine the scene you describe, it's definitely effective!

Thanks all for your comments!

August 7, 2018 9:50 pm

August 8, 2018 1:47 pm

Wow this is super creepy (especially the beginning) but when the crows come in steal the show with their caws.  Very creative and hopefully less stinky now tongue poor trash panda

August 8, 2018 2:42 pm
kaedo sevaada wrote:

Not quite this bad ::)

Tone Matrix wrote:

Wow this is super creepy (especially the beginning) but when the crows come in steal the show with their caws.  Very creative and hopefully less stinky now tongue poor trash panda

Other raccoons were back within days of the trash pick-up. Between them and the skunks, our yard is snail-free.

September 11, 2018 3:04 am

I met a raptor once. We had sex.

September 11, 2018 3:52 pm
??? wrote:

I met a raptor once. We had sex.

Yeah, one of my girlfriends was like that. One of her frequent phrases was "quel trick," whcich I later found out was a corruption of "quel trique." Heh.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up