WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Jim Wood's music / How to Spot a Bot

How to Spot a Bot

By Jim Wood on January 20, 2018 2:54 am

Voxes: BBC broadcast "How to Spot a Bot" (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csvtp3)

Continuing my ambivalent exploration of Live 10: Most features from 9 seem to be unchanged, some are changed for the better, and some are "huh?" For an example of the latter, turning on automation (A) turns off the fade handles — I've always thought of fades as a form of automation. Wavetable & new effects are all to easy to get carried away with: I had to replace this week's post because I bolloxed the mix with Echo. Always keep multiple backups, eh?

January 22, 2018 12:14 pm

This time the voices talk to me more than ever, have to think what they are exactly saying... Have to listen some times more. Nice!

January 22, 2018 2:02 pm

This is what I imagine it sounds like when your consciousness is in the cloud and it gets scrambled because you decided to update the software...cool track! smile

January 22, 2018 4:01 pm

You’d think this week had a android theme or something. These are some of the most crazycool vox yet.

January 22, 2018 9:36 pm

very much like the unpredictible trip here. surprising effects and informations all along the way. Thanks.

January 22, 2018 11:15 pm

The strings tone is giving me 'The Books' flashbacks again.  This is a good thing  smile

January 22, 2018 11:31 pm

I think I spotted a few bots while I was listening to that.  Incredible work as always!

January 23, 2018 1:40 am
CosmicCairns wrote:

rdomain wrote:

Q-Rosh wrote:

E-dub wrote:

Sodabelly wrote:

theGuen wrote:

Thanks for the comments! Good luck figuring out whet the voices are saying: I quantized them and then used the repitch mode. The only phrase I can understand is "thank you."

January 23, 2018 4:37 am

Woah! I love the bursts of horns and strings and that vocal flow towards the end just takes it to another level. I'll be back to listen to this again

January 23, 2018 4:58 am

Almost sounds like rapping in some unknown language near the end, fun track

January 24, 2018 3:57 am

I love this. Reminds me of Tyondai Braxtons work. Look him up if you haven't

January 24, 2018 2:15 pm
rdomain wrote:

Yeah! I was reminded of The Books as well, in a really good way.

Very cool track.

January 24, 2018 2:16 pm

Man, this is on some otherworldly shit and I love it.  I keep waiting for Bjork to start singing tho....

January 24, 2018 6:55 pm

January 24, 2018 6:56 pm

so sorry that was massive - there is a bot in my giphy

January 25, 2018 1:43 am

Thanks all for your kind comments!

cfurrow wrote:

Jason Nijjer wrote:

Almost sounds like rapping in some unknown language near the end, fun track

roboctopus wrote:
rdomain wrote:

Yeah! I was reminded of The Books as well, in a really good way.

Very cool track.

Masikus wrote:

kaedo sevaada wrote:

so sorry that was massive - there is a bot in my giphy

I'll consider that a super thumbs-up ::)

Nouga.jr wrote:

I love this. Reminds me of Tyondai Braxtons work. Look him up if you haven't

I really like Battles, but haven't heard his solo stuff yet. I'll check it out. Thanks!

January 25, 2018 2:16 am

total super thumbs up smile

January 25, 2018 10:35 am

I am sure i heard "Find the metronome" two or three times smile

January 27, 2018 9:20 pm

Quite interesting, even exciting to listen to. Thanks for experimenting with stuff! Milkshake Duck went robotic.

January 29, 2018 1:34 am

Lovely edits!

January 30, 2018 9:33 pm

Top editing. Again, really hypnotic.

February 12, 2018 12:27 pm

Do you sincerely think the upgrade to Ableton 10 is worth?

February 12, 2018 3:46 pm

Do you sincerely think the upgrade to Ableton 10 is worth?[/quote]

I'm not overwhelmed. The additional instruments and effects are useful (though not to the extent that the upgraded Simpler was). But the graphics changes are... Meh. There are still a number of minor (but still irritating) bugs. And Max doesn't seem to load any faster. I'm hoping that this will get ironed out in the future.